Female traffic light signals at pedestrian crossings

Page 8 of 8 [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 3:07 am

Sabreclaw wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Feminist Frequency frequently lies and scams.

Anita Sarkeesian only became big because people tried to silence her. She'd have been forgotten a long time ago if people had just ignored her instead of getting up in arms over her nonsense. The more people rant and rave about her, hurling all sorts of ridiculously immature abuse at her, the more ammo she has to boost her publicity with. Controversy gets attention.

It's the Streisand Effect allover again.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 3:18 am

it is uncertain how many men would masturbate over the female walk sign and by the time they are finished, it says " don't walk" again.

i think it is totally inappropriate as it may clog the streets with flashers.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 3:59 am

the curb crawling problem might explode when crossing requires dressing in dresses

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 12:33 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Just to beat this metaphor to death, I would say that the problem may be in the connection.

Which makes no sense whatsoever considering what I just wrote, but whatever.

Resubmitted for review: (sorry, my turn with the Zinfandel.)

No problem at all.

Now let's see. Imagine you have an electrical device. You plug it into some outlets, and it recieves power and functions as desired. You plug it into other outlets and nothing at all happens. Into some outlets, it won't even plug at all. What you wrote is the equivalent of observing these circumstances, and drawing the conclusion that something must be wrong with the cord.

androbot01 wrote:
I think what I understand you to be saying is that there is a failure to produce an output because of a lack of awareness of a receptor. Is this right?

That is a succinct and quite accurate assessment, yes. Though it's arguably a give-and take situation, and not just based on awareness or unawareness. Merely both being aspies isn't enough for what I would consider a connection.

androbot01 wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
I don't think this compensates. I am a fan of careful analysis and constantly do so (to the point of agitation) and it does produce results. But what I am talking about does not need to be worked at.
Also, I believe this deficit is intrinsic to autism; it may vary in degree, but it is a defining characteristic.

And onwards marches the doublespeak! It doesn't compensate, but it can produce results, but it doesn't need to be worked at.

I don't understand what is unclear.

What is unclear is that you seem to be occupying multiple contradictory positions at once.

You say the deficit in social skill can't be compensated for, but then you agree that practiced skills, such as analysis, can lessen the impact of the deficit (thus compensating), but then you maintain that the deficit is fundamental to autism and can never be improved on or compensated for.

Quote:
The benchmark in this case would be satisfying one's partner's emotional needs.

No. If that were the benchmark, then single people could never be diagnosed as aspies. The benchmark is an estimate of the average persons degree of social competence, and then that is measured against that of a suspected aspie to determine if it's A: lower and B: so low that it can be resonably expected to cause problems for the person in the now and in the future. This is the dilemma for people seeking diagnosis late in life; to shut of their compensating strategies and put their actual difficulties on display. I've been there, and I suspect you have, too.

That being said, if an aspie was to be driven to work hard on their deficits and develop compensating strategies to the point where they may even come across as above average in social competence, it would still be considered a disability due to the hard work that they had to put in that "normal" people wouldn't have needed to.

androbot01 wrote:
Similarities can appear in the dissimilar.

That is true in general, but you're still not explaining anything with regards to how anything remotely similar would transpire in these two situations.

Scenario 1: Person marries a sociable, successful, charming and intelligent other person. Everything is fine and dandy, the perfect couple. They live together for, say 15 years, until one day when a partner goes berserk and murders the other.

Scenario 2: Person marries an aspie. Like all marriages, it has its ups and down, but sadly, over time, the partner finds that the downs are no longer outweighed by the ups, and decides to leave their aspie after, say, the same 15 years. Then they proclaim themselves to have developed a legitimate mental disorder from the marriage, and goes to complain online.

androbot01 wrote:
Being autistic is not a wrongful act; it is what it is. "Inflicting" one's autism on another, which I take to mean as offering more than possible, is wrong.

I don't have quite so high an opinion of myself and my power that I expect my mere presense and countenance to quell into submission the minds of the poor, feeble souls unfortunate enough to find themselves inside my predacious aura. (a fact sorely lamented by the more photophobic parts of my mind)

But just to be safe, I only surround myself with people understanding enough to know when they need to be accomodating, smart enough to appreciate my good sides and who know that I'm rarely malicious when I stumble socially, and with enough spinal fortitude to tell me when I'm being a dick.

androbot01 wrote:
Bluntly, autism is not a picnic for others to be around.

The same is true for people in general, but I take your meaning.

androbot01 wrote:
You mentioned before that you have been in relationships with autistic people and are close to autistic people. The same is true of me.

In the interest of honesty, my relationships never went past an ill-defined "we're something" stage. But yes, I have been something a couple of times.

androbot01 wrote:
Being around other autistics has been useful in that their behaviour has made me aware of my own annoying characteristics.

Same here. I have observed traits I'm very glad I don't have (don't think I could live without sarcasm), and I've been jealous of aspies with a functioning level higher than mine. I think my most annoying trait is that I'm a smug know-it-all, but that's hardly a trait exclusive to aspies.

androbot01 wrote:
However, this does not replace the intrinsic connection that NTs experience with each other

See, I'm not convinced such a thing exists. Put two NTs and an aspie in a room together, and the NTs are probably going to get along better with eachother than with the aspie, but that's by no means a given and just as true for any number of other categories of people; two women and a man, two christians and a muslim, two conservatives and a liberal, two vegans and a carnivore et cetera.

I've seen nothing that points squarely at some ephemeral special connection that all people of average neurological makeup share with each other that we simply lack. My personal observations are, however, that NTs tend to have lower emotional walls, they make decisions I would consider very important (such as mate selection) with significantly less gravity and on much flimsier grounds, connect, disconnect and reconnect emotionally with relatively little fallout, and seem to me to exist on a significantly more superficial level.

I by no means want to disparage or generalize about NTs, but that is what the NT-majority social game looks like from the outside.

androbot01 wrote:
It is not defeatist to realize what is impossible and to adjust one's plans accordingly. It is a waste of time lament the impossible.

You have yet to establish aspies in functional relationships as being impossible. This is not a situation where an exception proves a rule, but rather one where an exception disproves it entirely. And I know for a fact that there are NTs on this site in relationships with aspies.

androbot01 wrote:
I feel that autistic people have let NTs set the agenda (well, I guess it couldn't be otherwise.) But their game works for them, not everyone.

I don't think there is such a thing as a game that works for everyone.

androbot01 wrote:
Two wrongs make a marriage. ;)

I'll take your word on that. I've no plans to be married.

(Also, I apologize to the OP and to the mods for the OT, but I think the discussion was valuable.)

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 5:57 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
That being said, if an aspie was to be driven to work hard on their deficits and develop compensating strategies to the point where they may even come across as above average in social competence, it would still be considered a disability due to the hard work that they had to put in that "normal" people wouldn't have needed to.

Wolfram87 wrote:
I've seen nothing that points squarely at some ephemeral special connection that all people of average neurological makeup share with each other that we simply lack.

I think we just disagree. The ephemeral and elusive something's absence cannot be compensated for with learned behaviour, I think.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 12:04 pm

androbot01 wrote:
I think we just disagree. The ephemeral and elusive something's absence cannot be compensated for with learned behaviour, I think.

In which case I'm back to my original position of you being wrong.