Female traffic light signals at pedestrian crossings

Page 6 of 8 [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 8:51 pm

BetwixtBetween wrote:
Putting a stick figure in a dress isn't more inclusive. I don't know any women who wear a dress on a daily basis. I never considered the pants-wearing stick figure to be male. I am female. I am a feminist.

If anything, I find the identification of places or things as female by the addition of a dress to be limiting and rather regressive.

I think people seeing a the crossing symbol and thinking we need more females. This makes me wonder how that is important and how this negatively affecting women?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 8:53 pm

In most electrical systems short-circuits only get worse, but in the brain they can get better.

Cassandra was fated to accurately prophesy, but no one believed her. I think she's the one who said, beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

Gendered clothing is a pretty common metaphor, and you complainers will miss it if you don't have it. I waited for 5 minutes in a hallway in a traditional restaurant in Bavaria because they cleverly put the bathroom names in Bayerish, with no German and no standard icons. I had no idea which door to walk through, and I had to pee.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 9:09 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
In most electrical systems short-circuits only get worse, but in the brain they can get better.

Cassandra was fated to accurately prophesy, but no one believed her. I think she's the one who said, beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

Gendered clothing is a pretty common metaphor, and you complainers will miss it if you don't have it. I waited for 5 minutes in a hallway in a traditional restaurant in Bavaria because they cleverly put the bathroom names in Bayerish, with no German and no standard icons. I had no idea which door to walk through, and I had to pee.

I can get a bathroom having gendered symbols, but traffic lights? Do gendered traffic lights really help anything? Does s gender neutral traffic light really hurt women? Is the symbol that masculine?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 9:26 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

I can get a bathroom having gendered symbols, but traffic lights? Do gendered traffic lights really help anything? Does s gender neutral traffic light really hurt women? Is the symbol that masculine?

It's just another amusing thing to me. We're not talking about representation, but iconography.

I made that point earlier. Think about the Powerpuff Girls, or Samurai Jack. The characters aren't representations of people. They're icons of people. It's the difference between a caricature and a sketch of a person. The drawings are signifiers, not representations. It wouldn't matter if statistically men started wearing dresses as often as women; that icon will indicate a woman as long as we talk about dialing a number.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 9:36 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

It's just another amusing thing to me. We're not talking about representation, but iconography.

I made that point earlier. Think about the Powerpuff Girls, or Samurai Jack. The characters aren't representations of people. They're icons of people. It's the difference between a caricature and a sketch of a person. The drawings are signifiers, not representations. It wouldn't matter if statistically men started wearing dresses as often as women; that icon will indicate a woman as long as we talk about dialing a number.

I agree that a dress represents a woman. How does this help anyone? The people I have seen are talking about representation. Some of the people behind the campaign want an equal number of signs. My main objection to this is it doesn't help anything. I am more bothered by this making mountain of mole hill.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 10:07 pm

Go to your city council meeting and make sure your property taxes don't get spent on it?

People care. The care about other weird stuff, too. If you have a magic spell to get them to make sense, okay. Lots of subliminal things affect the way people behave in unpredictable ways. Passing the ERA would make more of a difference, but I haven't been holding my breath for 50 years.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 10:26 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Go to your city council meeting and make sure your property taxes don't get spent on it?

People care. The care about other weird stuff, too. If you have a magic spell to get them to make sense, okay. Lots of subliminal things affect the way people behave in unpredictable ways. Passing the ERA would make more of a difference, but I haven't been holding my breath for 50 years.

Do you have evidence that this and stuff like it negatively affects people? I know money isn't being spent on this. I am just annoyed in humanity for this to be a big deal. Some people are annoyed by caring about a celebrities clothes. I am more annoyed by social movements that offer no help.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 10:37 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Do you have evidence that this and stuff like it negatively affects people? I know money isn't being spent on this. I am just annoyed in humanity for this to be a big deal. Some people are annoyed by caring about a celebrities clothes. I am more annoyed by social movements that offer no help.

See Social Psychology.

Then oppose the abuse of economics. In the hands of politicians and Goldman-Sachs appointees, it causes much more harm than fringe people chiming in with a wack perspective on one of many arguments among various types of feminists.

ETA: For clarification, by painting all feminists as extremists, many people in this thread have alienated potential allies on other causes.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 10:43 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

See Social Psychology.

Then oppose the abuse of economics. In the hands of politicians and Goldman-Sachs appointees, it causes much more harm than fringe people chiming in with a wack perspective on one of many arguments among various types of feminists.

ETA: For clarification, by painting all feminists as extremists, many people in this thread have alienated potential allies on other causes.

I am against corruption in politics. I have purposely avoided saying they could help more if they fought for this or that because I know people don't work like that. I am more bothered by some of the mainstream Feminists. A lot of the feminists I have isolated I have a feeling won't be doing anything I think of as helpful. That is okay though. I have a problem with mainstream feminist ideas.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 10:49 pm

If that floats your boat...

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 10:51 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
If that floats your boat...

No offense, but in a lot of your posts you come off as a jerk.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 12:09 am

None taken. If going off about this makes you feel better, okay. Fringe feminists do less harm than cars.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 3:18 am

what does the "don't walk" female look like?

you know i think it is well to put female icons on the walk signs because it is females that need to be told when it is safe to cross (due to their lack of orientation ability), and the inherent message in those signs is that men can walk across the road at any time due to the fact that they can intelligently gauge when it is safe to do so.

i was a bit short in my attribution to women in my last post, but it is said "men build monuments and women build nests"
i hope that absolves me from the idea that i am sexist .

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 3:20 am

i mean, without pedestrian crossing signs, you'd have a large road kill of women and frocks all over the road impeding the progress of traffic.
if a frock gets caught up in the braking drum of a semi trailer, then a very valuable load could be lost due to loss of control.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 4:04 am

^ I get what you're saying. You're saying that extra help for women is insulting for women.

Sort of like if they made exams easier for women it would imply that they think women are less intelligent.

Of course we know the truth is that women are more intelligent than men. This is why men are mistrustful of women. Because there's nothing to stop women from taking unfair advantage of their superior brains.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 4:08 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
^ I get what you're saying. You're saying that extra help for women is insulting for women.

Sort of like if they made exams easier for women it would imply that they think women are less intelligent.

Of course we know the truth is that women are more intelligent than men. This is why men are mistrustful of women. Because there's nothing to stop women from taking unfair advantage of their superior brains.

yeah wow. way to twist my words into your obsequious meaning.

i wanted strong girls to call me a complete sexist and bigot because i like the feel of their claws.