Why do college students eat so much?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 4:31 pm

It seems common to gain weight in college, but why does this happen and how to fight it?

I am in grad school and am trying to keep a certain BMI, but it's a struggle. I eat way more when in school versus when working (even stressful jobs!). When I say "no" to my cravings, I have lots of difficulty and start yawning/spacing out unless I turn to caffeine for a boost. When I eat, my focus improves, but I begin to gain weight.

Each time I mention how "tired" I am in college, people are saying I should see a doctor. But I have no health issues? Besides, I eat super healthy, buy everything fresh, have a personal chef (I never eat out and bring homemade food everywhere), and get all nutrients in my diet in the right proportions. I am just trying to reduce calories to what I normally have no trouble sticking to when not in school.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 6:59 pm

Working out is a great way. I do a ton of walking to help keep a healthy weight. I also cut out soda for the most part.

If you have a Fitbit join the WrongPlanet group.

https://www.fitbit.com/group/233W34

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 7:26 pm

College is very stressful. You meet a ton of new people. New surroundings. And, most likely, a very competitive environment in which there are people way smarter than you, often for the first time. Finally, there is lots of good food around campus.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 8:17 am

Try chewing sugar free gum instead. Mint is an appetite supressant and makes you feel more alert.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 9:27 am

BTDT wrote:
College is very stressful. You meet a ton of new people. New surroundings. And, most likely, a very competitive environment in which there are people way smarter than you, often for the first time. Finally, there is lots of good food around campus.
That makes sense... But yet, a stressful (but active) job did not have the same effect on me. If anything, it made me eat less. For some reason, I start feeling sleepy a lot when doing physically passive reading/writing indoors for hours and hours, where it's darker compared to being out (but it's freezing out). I need to find a good way to wake up my brain in the afternoon. At this time, I cannot seem to think straight until I have eaten too much, (i.e., bigger meals and snacks than I would eat when not in school). I cannot have caffeine after 12 pm as it disrupts my sleep. Going out for walks would be one solution, but transitioning to going out and from out to in takes me so long that even a half-hour walk would take an hour out of my schedule in total.

I bring my own food everywhere and yet still manage to gain ~15-20 pounds every school year, without successfully shedding it until I am done school. It drives me nuts and it doesn't help that most of my peers in the grad program also gain weight/don't exercise regularly.

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Try chewing sugar free gum instead. Mint is an appetite supressant and makes you feel more alert.
I am concerned about the chewing action making me more hungry and messing with my brain by sending it signals that I am "eating" when nothing is actually coming in. It's also wasteful. I do mints and they help somewhat, but they don't last very long (neither would gum) and I don't want to consume, like, 10 a day. It just feels like too much.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2017, 10:44 pm

No doubt you have had your thyroid checked and if you are like me, it was probably close to the low end of the acceptable range which means that doctors won't prescribe anything. I got fed up with having no energy and did some research to find that sea kelp could help. So I got some from Puritans Pride (puritan.com) and it helped me tremendously. I could make it thru a day at work and still be able to do stuff around the house in the evenings. Look into it when you get the chance.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:59 pm

NeilM wrote:
No doubt you have had your thyroid checked and if you are like me, it was probably close to the low end of the acceptable range which means that doctors won't prescribe anything. I got fed up with having no energy and did some research to find that sea kelp could help. So I got some from Puritans Pride (puritan.com) and it helped me tremendously. I could make it thru a day at work and still be able to do stuff around the house in the evenings. Look into it when you get the chance.
Thank you! I will definitely look into it.

It seems that as long as I get daily intensive exercise and do physically active things constantly throughout the day, my overeating episodes disappear and I stop craving food. It is so strange :?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Mar 2017, 5:06 pm

BTDT wrote:
There's also a stereotype that college students smoke a lot of weed & that can make people hungry. I'm NOT saying that the OP is doing that, I'm talking college students in general.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 3:02 pm

Why College Students Gain Weight:

Stress.
Mom and dad aren't there telling you what to eat, doing the grocery shopping, and cooking all of your meals for you.
All the cool parties have empty calorie foods.
A lot of empty calorie foods work out to be cheaper and more available to college students.
Not all college students have access to a fully functional kitchen or a full size fridge/freezer of their own, which means convenience foods.
Class hours and cafeteria hours don't always match up neatly.
Local eateries run specials with college students in mind and those specials consist of empty calorie foods.
Not everybody made the sports team for whatever sport they played in high school.
College grades are how your employers will judge your skills/potential, and some college students realize this and focus on studying and leave no time in their lives for anything else except (most likely cheap) ready-made meals and post-Finals parties.
Add all that together and you get the freshman 15. Or more.

HelloWorld314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2017, 3:53 pm

Because they are stressed to do well in school; stressed to become an adult; stressed to take on the new responsibilities; and stressed to fit in in a class with at least 1000 other kids unlike a normal high school class of at most several hundreds.

p.s. English is not my native language, please correct me if I have made any mistakes. I would really appreciate it. Thanks:)

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 5:41 pm

HelloWorld314 wrote:
Because they are stressed to do well in school; stressed to become an adult; stressed to take on the new responsibilities; and stressed to fit in in a class with at least 1000 other kids unlike a normal high school class of at most several hundreds.

BetwixtBetween wrote:
Stress.
Mom and dad aren't there telling you what to eat, doing the grocery shopping, and cooking all of your meals for you.
All the cool parties have empty calorie foods.
A lot of empty calorie foods work out to be cheaper and more available to college students.
Not all college students have access to a fully functional kitchen or a full size fridge/freezer of their own, which means convenience foods.
Class hours and cafeteria hours don't always match up neatly.
Local eateries run specials with college students in mind and those specials consist of empty calorie foods.
Not everybody made the sports team for whatever sport they played in high school.
College grades are how your employers will judge your skills/potential, and some college students realize this and focus on studying and leave no time in their lives for anything else except (most likely cheap) ready-made meals and post-Finals parties.
Add all that together and you get the freshman 15. Or more.
I think these reasons are the most likely explanations for me. Even though I exercise at least 3 times per week, the stress isn't going away completely, I guess. It doesn't help that the less I exercise and the more I focus on my schoolwork, the higher my grades seem to be. :?

Now the dilemma is how to remedy this - i.e., whether it's possible to be in college and be in great shape at the same time when you're focused on producing outstanding-quality work all the time.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 8:42 am

Just remembered I wanted to comment on this.

I remember reading about a study a few years ago, which, as far as I can remember, was done at the University of Stavanger. Researchers found studied the exercising habits of lots of different people, and found that people who had high levels of stress hormones did not lose weight from exercising. I remembered it partly because this fit with what I was experiencing at the time, but I think the research was buried because it's pretty much as close to blasphemy as you can come in the Nordic countries.

So basically what they said was that any exercise will increase stress hormones, but if your baseline stress hormone levels are pretty low, you won't reach the threshhold levels where your body tries desperately to cling to any fat it's got, and in that case you'll lose weight. It was a nice explanation for what I'd noticed at the time, which was that exercising mainly made me fat. This of course also had something to do with the fact that exhausting myself seemed to destroy any inhibitions around food, and I'd stuff myself in a way I normally wouldn't do.

On a very unscientific note, I've never seen an overweight long time yoga practitioner, and I've noticed that yoga makes me feel good without turning me into a wolf. Why not try yoga for exercise? The nice thing is that it can be done anywhere and doesn't require a lot of equipment.

As for the skinny aspies, I think they are skinny because the eat very little, not so much because they exercise a lot. I'm happy to be corrected about that, though.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 9:39 am

underwater wrote:
Just remembered I wanted to comment on this.

I remember reading about a study a few years ago, which, as far as I can remember, was done at the University of Stavanger. Researchers found studied the exercising habits of lots of different people, and found that people who had high levels of stress hormones did not lose weight from exercising. I remembered it partly because this fit with what I was experiencing at the time, but I think the research was buried because it's pretty much as close to blasphemy as you can come in the Nordic countries.

So basically what they said was that any exercise will increase stress hormones, but if your baseline stress hormone levels are pretty low, you won't reach the threshhold levels where your body tries desperately to cling to any fat it's got, and in that case you'll lose weight. It was a nice explanation for what I'd noticed at the time, which was that exercising mainly made me fat. This of course also had something to do with the fact that exhausting myself seemed to destroy any inhibitions around food, and I'd stuff myself in a way I normally wouldn't do.

On a very unscientific note, I've never seen an overweight long time yoga practitioner, and I've noticed that yoga makes me feel good without turning me into a wolf. Why not try yoga for exercise? The nice thing is that it can be done anywhere and doesn't require a lot of equipment.

As for the skinny aspies, I think they are skinny because the eat very little, not so much because they exercise a lot. I'm happy to be corrected about that, though.

Your body is going to use energy just to stay alive, stress or no stress.
What is true though, is that people with high levels of stress tend to eat more calories, and thus gain weight/stall.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 7:56 am

Using your brain is an enormous power-hog; you need an exessive amount of sugars to keep thinking straight, especially when preparing for exams.
Unfortunately, many foods also have ingredients that your brain cant use, so they get stored, and food cravings often result in you grabbing the first thing you can get, which is not always what you use.

The best way to combat this, aside from exercise, is to eat different things: i had a lot of chewing gum for when i felt hungry: the act of chewing made me think i ate, even though there was nothing in gum that makes me gain weight,

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 1:39 pm

I was overweight before starting college, but it has gotten worse over the past year. For me, it's the temptation of the food in the cafeteria, the snacks at the school events, and the vending machines. I think it can be due to stress too, as school is very stressful. I was always a bit chubby, but I gained a significant amount of weight in junior high, when schoolwork got harder and social struggles began to affect me more than they did in elementary school.