The Futility of Academic Performance. I need help.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mindtraveller
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Mar 2017, 5:02 pm

I am a student at a two-year college here, and I feel as though I've begun to lose sight of the importance of a college degree. I enrolled to pursue a degree in psychology and did well, in intervals, for several semesters. As I have begun to balance work with school somewhat, I've found that any attempt on my part to engage myself in the necessary curriculum is absolutely futile. My difficulty revolves mainly around mathematics, as well as test taking, (the kind involving pedantic and mindless regurgitation of subject matter). It seems no matter what (or how much) I study, the test sucker-punches me with conniving trickery, deceit, and pitfalls, greatly affecting my grade on the test and dashing any hope of an acceptable grade for the course. Its as if my peers have all been slipped a sheet with everything needed for an exam. A sheet that I have never received. I thoroughly enjoy the study of psychology, yet cannot seem to perform well enough to receive a degree, especially in those classes which lack any relevance whatsoever to the majority of different fields of study. I am considering dropping out, yet do not know what to do with myself afterwards. I need advice. Should I stay in school, or pursue a path to a career elsewhere?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 11:59 pm

Mindtraveller wrote:
I am a student at a two-year college here, and I feel as though I've begun to lose sight of the importance of a college degree. I enrolled to pursue a degree in psychology and did well, in intervals, for several semesters. As I have begun to balance work with school somewhat, I've found that any attempt on my part to engage myself in the necessary curriculum is absolutely futile. My difficulty revolves mainly around mathematics, as well as test taking, (the kind involving pedantic and mindless regurgitation of subject matter). It seems no matter what (or how much) I study, the test sucker-punches me with conniving trickery, deceit, and pitfalls, greatly affecting my grade on the test and dashing any hope of an acceptable grade for the course. Its as if my peers have all been slipped a sheet with everything needed for an exam. A sheet that I have never received. I thoroughly enjoy the study of psychology, yet cannot seem to perform well enough to receive a degree, especially in those classes which lack any relevance whatsoever to the majority of different fields of study. I am considering dropping out, yet do not know what to do with myself afterwards. I need advice. Should I stay in school, or pursue a path to a career elsewhere?

You should have a learning assessment done to see if you have a learning disability for which you might be able to obtain certain accommodations.

Often times, particularly in elementary school, I had felt that other students were getting information I was not privileged to. I suspect this was due to my processing deficits at the time. I had felt this way in college a few times, but it turns out there had been a prerequisite class that I hadn't known about, and that I managed to enroll in courses that required it, without taking it, due to an error in the registrar's system.

As for math...
1. I kept a notebook in which I would write questions that I had that came up as I was working examples or doing homework, and would seek to get these questions answered during instructor office hours or in class.

2. I would often work the examples in the book before I attempted homework problems. I would note the steps of the example and apply them to the homework problems.

3. When I received graded homework back, I would rework the problems I got wrong.

4. About a week before the mid term, I would rework all of my homework problems, or at least as many as possible, and also the in book examples if I had time.

5. Before the mid term, I would also make a list of all of the topics covered, to make sure I understood the concepts.

6. Once I received the graded mid term back, I would rework the problems I got wrong.

7. I would start studying for the final in a similar manner, about a month or two before the final, only for the final, I would also rework the mid term.

8. I tried to choose math instructors who followed the book, and I would try to work the examples in the book that the instructor was going to cover, before the instructor covered them in class.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 12:02 am

Mindtraveller wrote:

You should have a learning assessment done to see if you have a learning disability for which you might be able to obtain certain accommodations.

Often times, particularly in elementary school, I had felt that other students were getting information I was not privileged to. I suspect this was due to my processing deficits at the time. I had felt this way in college a few times, but it turns out there had been a prerequisite class that I hadn't known about, and that I managed to enroll in courses that required it, without taking it, due to an error in the registrar's system.

As for math...
1. I kept a notebook in which I would write questions that I had that came up as I was working examples or doing homework, and would seek to get these questions answered during instructor office hours or in class.

2. I would often work the examples in the book before I attempted homework problems. I would note the steps of the example and apply them to the homework problems.

3. When I received graded homework back, I would rework the problems I got wrong.

4. About a week before the mid term, I would rework all of my homework problems, or at least as many as possible, and also the in book examples if I had time.

5. Before the mid term, I would also make a list of all of the topics covered, to make sure I understood the concepts.

6. Once I received the graded mid term back, I would rework the problems I got wrong.

7. I would start studying for the final in a similar manner, about a month or two before the final, only for the final, I would also rework the mid term.

8. I tried to choose math instructors who followed the book, and I would try to work the examples in the book that the instructor was going to cover, before the instructor covered them in class.

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2017, 10:11 pm

I study psychology and find the statistics/ maths involved quite challenging. Neuropsychological testing revealed my non-verbal memory is impaired compared to the rest of my functions. You might have a more pronounced version of something similar? It's worth getting it checked out :)

Jack184
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2017, 10:21 am

Hi,

I guess I can relate. I've got just under three years of high school left, and it feels like I'm losing all drive for academic success. I'm just getting so lost and burnt out. But I hope you manage to find your way through it. I wish there were more I could say to help, but I don't really know how.