Page 14 of 16 [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 10:32 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I hope I can use that to shame people here, as in, "We can't even keep up with Australia, where as you know everything is upside down." That works great on Americans.
Yes you can use it. You have my blessing :lol:
jrjones9933 wrote:
But, you knew the answers before you asked
Yes I did. It was a rhetorical question.
jrjones9933 wrote:
and put that voting strawman at the top of your list.
Which strawman? I suppose in a sense asking rhetorical questions in general is strawmanning.
jrjones9933 wrote:
Sorry, but you blew it; you will never again get the forgiveness you could have gotten if only you had kept me thinking you might be an idiot. You're not, and you're busted.
Caught redhanded. The socratic method has failed me!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 10:35 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
I hope I can use that to shame people here, as in, "We can't even keep up with Australia, where as you know everything is upside down." That works great on Americans.
jrjones9933 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Which strawman? I suppose in a sense asking rhetorical questions in general is strawmanning.
jrjones9933 wrote:
Sorry, but you blew it; you will never again get the forgiveness you could have gotten if only you had kept me thinking you might be an idiot. You're not, and you're busted.

Cool. I win, and we can have discussions in the future where we respect each other, and women?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 10:53 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Sexual harassment in Australia, not sure if Adelaide
I don't know about Southern California because I've never been there but I can say from experience that sexual street harassment is extremely rare here.

It's not as common in Southern California as it is in New York, but does happen once in a while...typically the perpetrator is a transient or someone who looks like they don't have very high standards for themselves in life. It used to be far more common, with construction workers often being the perpetrators, but a number of things happened that changes that. One of them was a landmark sexual harassment case in 1988...Jenson v. Eveleth Taconite Co, which brought the issue of sexual harassment in the workplace to a head. The case was settled, but companies started taking sexual harassment in the workplace seriously, and making policies to prohibit it. This included large construction companies, which began to prohibit their workers from catcalling,and harassing both workers and passerbyers. Additionally, the demographic of the construction workforce began to shift from, which shifted the cultural aspects of construction workers.

It seems like society has taken some excellent measures to prevent street harassment yet feminists talk about it like like it's still accepted by society, like all men accept and condone it.

Of course it will always exist. You can have policies or laws against it but that will no longer prevent it from happening any more than homicide laws will prevent all murders.

Street harassment is still very prevalent in some areas. For example, New York. In some areas, the harassment goes beyond cat calling to groping or sexual assault, for example, Japan and Egypt, and Italy. I don't know why it's such a worldwide phenomena.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 11:13 pm

Tradition

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 11:53 pm

Chronos wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Sexual harassment in Australia, not sure if Adelaide
I don't know about Southern California because I've never been there but I can say from experience that sexual street harassment is extremely rare here.

It's not as common in Southern California as it is in New York, but does happen once in a while...typically the perpetrator is a transient or someone who looks like they don't have very high standards for themselves in life. It used to be far more common, with construction workers often being the perpetrators, but a number of things happened that changes that. One of them was a landmark sexual harassment case in 1988...Jenson v. Eveleth Taconite Co, which brought the issue of sexual harassment in the workplace to a head. The case was settled, but companies started taking sexual harassment in the workplace seriously, and making policies to prohibit it. This included large construction companies, which began to prohibit their workers from catcalling,and harassing both workers and passerbyers. Additionally, the demographic of the construction workforce began to shift from, which shifted the cultural aspects of construction workers.

It seems like society has taken some excellent measures to prevent street harassment yet feminists talk about it like like it's still accepted by society, like all men accept and condone it.

Of course it will always exist. You can have policies or laws against it but that will no longer prevent it from happening any more than homicide laws will prevent all murders.

Street harassment is still very prevalent in some areas. For example, New York. In some areas, the harassment goes beyond cat calling to groping or sexual assault, for example, Japan and Egypt, and Italy. I don't know why it's such a worldwide phenomena.

I didn't realise it was so common in those places :O

It certainly adds new meaning to the phrase "Make America New York".

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 1:26 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Cool. I win, and we can have discussions in the future where we respect each other, and women?
I don't know. Can you respect me and women? JK :P

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 3:31 am

Quote:
Men are the new "women"

I wish!

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 3:57 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Don't forget, for their "International Women's Day", we have an entire f*****g month; "Movember".

Movember is a movement started by a couple of Aussie guys joking about the decline of the moustache, that led to the founding of a charitable organisation whose goal was to raise money to tackle one of the more egregious men's health problems. They also raise awareness of the disparity in funding and campaigning between men's and women's health issues and the large numbers of men who are dying young to prostate cancer, testicular cancer and suicide.

Roughly 180 thousand men are diagnosed with prostate cancer each year in the US alone, with the death rate among black Americans being double that of other demographic groups. Its actual equivalent is breast cancer, which also receives its own month, as well as a disproportionately larger amount of funding.

So yeah. Screw those guys, right?

But then, I'm informed that virtue signalling helps boost the self-esteem of the signaller, so by all means carry on with your propagandist crap. When you're done pissing all over people who raise money to save lives and presenting false equivalences, book an appointment to see your doctor and have your prostate examined. It could save your life.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 4:08 am

Of course it needs to be a month. How am I supposed to grow a mustache in only one day? :lol:

We have Movember for prostate cancer and October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Both sexes get a month each. Is that not equal?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 4:23 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Of course it needs to be a month. How am I supposed to grow a mustache in only one day? :lol:

We have Movember for prostate cancer and October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Both sexes get a month each. Is that not equal?

Not to those whose primary language is Newspeak, no.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 7:09 am

Jacoby wrote:
I support a nation-wide(or whatever level) voucher system, schools and teachers should compete for our education dollars and ultimately it has to be the parent's responsibility to properly educate their kid. If you want to send your kid to a private, charter, or religious school that should be your choice. If you want to home school your child, that should be your choice. Public schools would still exist in areas that need them but in a lot of places the public schools are just a pipeline the prisons, disabled students also suffer tremendously in public schools so allowing them to control what to do with the education allotment would empower them. High school should focus primarily on vocational education and preparing children for the workforce, it's a joke that we have the most expensive education system in the world and we're producing millions of illiterates with no marketable skills with no hope of upward mobility. They shouldn't subsidize useless degree in college either, there is so much fat that needs to be cut out of this system. The teachers union are the people who are standing in front of progress here, they provide no workable solutions and only scream out for more & more money. Public employees like teachers should of never been allowed to unionized to begin with as they are negotiating against the taxpayers and their children, they don't exist in a real world with boundaries.
You're right Jacoby. The so called broad education is a relic from a hundred years ago, back when college was for millionaire kids to learn how to become socialites. If people want to learn the humanities they should do it on their own time, not at college, that's for actual skills. They sure as hell don't need to be subsidised to learn that stuff.

True this could make it so only the rich can afford to learn the humanities. Is this unfair? Well only the rich can afford to buy Lamborghinis but us regular folk can live without one. True the rich can afford to buy stuff normal folks can't. I accept that. That's normal. Anyway the humanities is a breeding ground for SJWs :lol:

As for the unions, I agree that that horrible bosses shouldn't be allowed to tyrannise people and horrible union bosses shouldn't be allowed to tyrannise people either. When a union gets to big, they often become just as bad, it's like shifting the power from one tyrant to another.

I read about a restaurateur who decided to eschew the customary $2,000 donation to the union Christmas fund so the union truck driver delayed his food shipment by a few days due to a "paperwork problem". The restaurateur ran out of fresh ingredients and, desperate to keep his restaurant open resorted to going to a nearby shop and buying the food himself. He then got a heavy fine for procuring goods from a non-union source.

Bonus challenge! I've hidden 5 spelling errors in this post. See if you can spot them all! :)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 9:13 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
I support a nation-wide(or whatever level) voucher system, schools and teachers should compete for our education dollars and ultimately it has to be the parent's responsibility to properly educate their kid. If you want to send your kid to a private, charter, or religious school that should be your choice. If you want to home school your child, that should be your choice. Public schools would still exist in areas that need them but in a lot of places the public schools are just a pipeline the prisons, disabled students also suffer tremendously in public schools so allowing them to control what to do with the education allotment would empower them. High school should focus primarily on vocational education and preparing children for the workforce, it's a joke that we have the most expensive education system in the world and we're producing millions of illiterates with no marketable skills with no hope of upward mobility. They shouldn't subsidize useless degree in college either, there is so much fat that needs to be cut out of this system. The teachers union are the people who are standing in front of progress here, they provide no workable solutions and only scream out for more & more money. Public employees like teachers should of never been allowed to unionized to begin with as they are negotiating against the taxpayers and their children, they don't exist in a real world with boundaries.
You're right Jacoby. The so called broad education is a relic from a hundred years ago, back when college was for millionaire kids to learn how to become socialites. If people want to learn the humanities they should do it on their own time, not at college, that's for actual skills. They sure as hell don't need to be subsidised to learn that stuff.

True this could make it so only the rich can afford to learn the humanities. Is this unfair? Well only the rich can afford to buy Lamborghinis but us regular folk can live without one. True the rich can afford to buy stuff normal folks can't. I accept that. That's normal. Anyway the humanities is a breeding ground for SJWs :lol:

As for the unions, I agree that that horrible bosses shouldn't be allowed to tyrannise people and horrible union bosses shouldn't be allowed to tyrannise people either. When a union gets to big, they often become just as bad, it's like shifting the power from one tyrant to another.

I read about a restaurateur who decided to eschew the customary $2,000 donation to the union Christmas fund so the union truck driver delayed his food shipment by a few days due to a "paperwork problem". The restaurateur ran out of fresh ingredients and, desperate to keep his restaurant open resorted to going to a nearby shop and buying the food himself. He then got a heavy fine for procuring goods from a non-union source.

Bonus challenge! I've hidden 5 spelling errors in this post. See if you can spot them all! :)

And I'm still going to go to school for an English degree.

I spent 8 years in the military, so I'm entitled to spend my GI Bill as I see fit.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 9:56 am

You better believe it, X-Files!

My BA is in English, and Speech Pathology.

It took me eight years to get it.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 9:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You better believe it, X-Files!

My BA is in English, and Speech Pathology.

It took me eight years to get it.

:cheers:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 10:01 am

XFilesGeek wrote:

I spent 8 years in the military, so I'm entitled to spend my GI Bill as I see fit.

Are you considering teaching or something else entirely?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 10:36 am

adifferentname wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Are you considering teaching or something else entirely?

No clue.

But seeing as how all of my attempts at being "practical" have failed, I'm going to do something impractical, which I'm at least going to enjoy.