Overwatch's Symmetra is autistic now.

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 4:14 pm

(Edit: whoops, didn't see Wolfram's comment and ended up saying exactly what he just said lol)

Except that they are both fictional characters, so they're not anything their creators say they're not. If their sexuality and disabilities were never clarified before, then they were not those things. Which makes it entirely possible that the creators may not have thought of it before, and are just now "revealing" it (IE making it up) for more attention. Just like when JK Rowling "revealed" that Dumbledore was gay, even though nothing in the books or movies pointed that direction. Same with when she "revealed" that Hermione was always supposed to be black. It's actually fairly obvious when people start doing this just for the attention, vs when they make that character to be gay/autistic/whatever from the start.

But again, my big thing is that this is an online shooting game with no story mode. What does it matter that Tracer's gay when the only interaction you ever have with her is to either shoot as her, or at her? It doesn't. It's a marketing ploy to draw in a bigger audience because they're "diverse" and "open minded".

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 5:11 pm

I'm wondering how many here actually play Overwatch. It is a shooter, but it contains side lore and comics surrounding the characters that many players love.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 8:46 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
But again, my big thing is that this is an online shooting game with no story mode. What does it matter that Tracer's gay when the only interaction you ever have with her is to either shoot as her, or at her? It doesn't. It's a marketing ploy to draw in a bigger audience because they're "diverse" and "open minded".

I can answer this one for you: It's because there are actually alot of games that HAVE a detailed story, but they dont tell it in the form you're thinking of.

There's two types of story-focused games that I see: 1, basic types, with cutscenes and whatnot, and 2, what I call "lore" types, which have zero cutscenes and require the players to look for clues around the game on their own, or things of that nature. Alot of older fighting games did this, because nobody wanted to sit through long-winded, well, ANYTHING, in a fighting game. That's changed in recent years, but the idea of lore-focused games has gotten more popular (and as someone that loathes cutscenes, I can see why). There are some games that do both at once, but that's pretty rare as it's very hard to pull off fully.

Overall, the community finds all of the info and pieces it together beyond what is told in the beginning. So Overwatch as a whole does already have this big, detailed pile of lore/story built up (though I dont think it's as big as some other franchises), and if the devs decide on a change, THAT is why it's a big deal to players. They've learned all of the background behind the characters and the world, and have gotten attached to them.

....Of course, that doesnt make this very SPECIFIC change any less idiotic. If they're going to design a character to be one way originally, they shouldnt be changing it later down the line unless there's one hell of a good reason. But hey, that's corporate meddling for you....