Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 1:55 pm

Does anybody here experience what are known as "Absent Seizures"?

I have been having them a lot lately (several times a day) and I had them when I was younger, but they had gone away. I'm really scared. I'm not driving any longer because of that.

My question is basically, Do you now or have you ever experienced these, and if so, have you been told that they are related to your Autism?

Thanks in advance for your replies :mrgreen:

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 3:02 pm

I had simple partial seizures before I had surgery to get rid of them. They differ from absence seizures because I was still aware of what was going on around me.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 1:29 am

I have these, but never medically diagnosed. Strangely enough, this has been happening for years and I was worried I had epilepsy or something.
It feels surreal, like everything else fades out, and I feel this liberating feeling of sensory deprivation, and then coming back to the real world jolts my senses, I sit up straighter suddenly, according to some, and feel like a piece of the universe just disappeared while I was out.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 2:42 pm

Thanks for the replies. For me, these started when I was in high school. My doctor thinks they get worse with stress, but I don't know if that is possible.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 2:46 pm

They were definitely more frequent when I was stressed or nervous, especially when big tests or finals were coming up. I had one during a play once and couldn't say my lines...that wasn't a good time.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 3:11 pm

i once had this thing, which i think might have been a sort of seizure but I'm not sure.
i looked at a flickering broken screen for a bit and then it felt like someone was shaking my head and i couldn't see properly. Lasted maybe 1 min?
Anyone have a clue what this might have been?

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 11:14 pm

teksla wrote:
i once had this thing, which i think might have been a sort of seizure but I'm not sure.
i looked at a flickering broken screen for a bit and then it felt like someone was shaking my head and i couldn't see properly. Lasted maybe 1 min?
Anyone have a clue what this might have been?

I have no idea what that might be, but that happens to me a lot.

davidmcg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2017, 8:35 am

I wouldn't say absence seizures but I definitely zone out. Tends to happen during stressful times. Also, does anyone get wobbly vision? Your vision wobbles from left to right and makes you feel a bit sick...you have to twist your neck to stop it...I've had that for years but I know I'm looking too much into it.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2017, 9:16 am

Interesting. So that explains what happened to me once in 8th grade. All I was aware of was that suddenly I was returning to consciousness and the teacher was calling my name. Once I appeared to be paying attention again he moved on but I have always been clueless on what that was. I probably had more of them that I nor anyone else was aware of.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 2:13 pm

I had these as a kid----even, up into my twenties (and, while driving)----but, I was never told it was related to my Autism, because I wasn't diagnosed an Aspie, until I was 47 (or 48).

To me, they're like..... Say you were working on a special interest, and had to stop and answer the door, and when you got back to your project, you might say: "Now, where was I?"----that's the way I've always experienced them; when, I "get back", I'm like "Now, where was I", and it's always been more than "zoning-out", to me; cuz, zoning-out seems almost to be a choice (like, when you choose to tune-out someone who is droning on-and-on, about something), and lasts alot longer.

I have had "regular" seizures", as well, my entire life (and they run in my family)----but, with regular seizures I am aware of everything that's going-on around me, but can't "participate". I have described it to a few people, as it being like I'm out in a large field, somewhere, and everybody is on the road, and I can see them, and know what they're doing, but I can't call to them, to help me.

My neurologist confirmed that I have seizures, but I haven't been diagnosed with Epilepsy----it seems to me that one has to have so many, in a certain timeframe, or something.

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2017, 2:39 am

i do tend to zone out, but their not considered absent seizures. i just lose my train of thought and stare off into space.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 12:46 pm

Thanks for the replies, everybody. I've been really busy, so I'm sorry it took so long for me to see all of them :cry:

Campin_Cat, I started having them so much that I stopped driving all together. I too have regular seizures, but am not diagnosed with Epilepsy.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 2:17 pm

I always lose my train of thought and frequently stand still until I remember what I was supposed to be doing. If you were to witness my behaviour on a day-to-day basis, I believe you would consider me to be cognitively impaired.

It wouldn't surprise me if I have epilepsy.