Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 2:03 am

I was originally diagnosed with sz . Then I thought it was officially switched to sz-a although bipolar was mentioned. However just found form in my psych notes for an EEG from 2001 where I am described as having bipolar affective disorder . By early 2005 I'm listed as having schizoaffective mixed type. By the end of 2005 personality disorder NOS. Sometime after 2007/8 paranoid PD.
The only real thing that has changed over the course of 44 years is that I have gone at some point from acutely to chronically ill . Some symptoms have lessened while others have been more constant.

I think cases like mine, and others, show that diagnosis is a very inexact and subjective thing.
Some of us don't fit neatly into any diagnostic label, couple that with pdocs with differing opinions as to what are ,or are not, your symptoms and it's a recipe for playing diagnosis bingo.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 6:33 am

I think you have been let down very badly. The failure of the psychiatric profession to take responsibility for their repeated failures is concerning. Diagnostic bingo indeed. Except that the loser is always you, and the game is rigged in their favour.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 8:03 am

The most consistent issue stretching back way before I came under psychiatric services is social interaction difficulties. Less than a handful of friends over 60 years should've raised a red flag,if they were on the ball.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 8:25 am

firemonkey wrote:
The most consistent issue stretching back way before I came under psychiatric services is social interaction difficulties. Less than a handful of friends over 60 years should've raised a red flag,if they were on the ball.

You are just too old to have been diagnosed properly. Nobody social interaction issues got diagnosed properly back them. If you were rich enough your parents could have put you in special schools and some smart teacher may have figured out what makes you tick, but that certainly wasn't a diagnosis.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 8:42 am

In the United States during the late 1980s and early 1990s, the word on the street was that, because licensing predictions suggested a dearth of physicians in the nation within just several years, "passing" more students would need to take place. One can imagine that this resulted in C- students (or worse) being graduated for the sake of pumping up the ratio of physicians to patients (perhaps even within other nations). Now, if such students were relegated to, say, assisting more knowledgeable physicians, serving in administrative positions or lab work, I wouldn't be so concerned. But, the mind wanders when ERs are observably staffed by very young people with nary a grey hair among them (because my mother has had two strokes within the last year, I am quite familiar with the staffers at my university hospital) and, I observe a lot (I have attended my mother's staff-physicians' scrum every day of her stays, and they end up agreeing with my recommendations instead of their own ... sheeez).

After reading the OP, I wonder if the same is true within the neurological and psychological fields, too.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 8:48 am

I feel the problem, also, is that many doctors have an isolating medical school experience; and this continues when they are interns and residents in hospitals.

It's really a grind all around--attending medical school and then training at a hospital.

A generalized cynicism frequently develops. This frequently leads to apathy, and to a disdain for "clients." Therefore, doctors in hospitals might have a bad "bedside manner." And might really seem like they do not care about you.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 11:23 am

A problem arises when professionals are lazy and can't be bothered to get to know you and go off half cocked when diagnosing you.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 12:15 pm

Autism may also be direct factor. Smart Aspies in my generation became doctors with poor bedside manner. You could pass all the exams but your social abilities were lacking. So you didn't interact very well with your patients. Not a good situation.
The situation is even worse now. You have fewer "Smart Aspies" because kids are working so hard to be normal. Now that it is a disability, some smart people on the spectrum don't see the point of working so hard, when you can just get on the dole. So now you have more NT doctors, who do medicine as a job, and not a fanatical special interest. But the pool of smart people in which to pick doctors is smaller. One solution is to steal smart people from other countries, but this hurts the countries that suffer a "brain drain."