Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 2:05 am

Overwatch fan theory about Symmetra finally confirmed by Blizzard

Quote:
Overwatch’s cast has been heralded for its diversity, with a myriad gender, racial and sexual identities represented across all 24 heroes. Blizzard Entertainment is throwing neurological diversity into the mix as well, confirming fan speculation that one of the game’s most popular characters is on the autistic spectrum.

A letter from Overwatch director Jeff Kaplan reignited the conversation, after its recipient posted it to Tumblr. The viral image included Kaplan explicitly referring to Symmetra, one of the game’s most intriguing and intelligent heroes, as autistic for the first time.

It’s very astute of you to notice that she mentioned the spectrum in our comic,” Kaplan wrote, referring to an official Overwatch comic from last May. “Symmetra is autistic. She is one of our most beloved heroes and we think she does a great job of representing just how awesome someone with autism can be.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2017, 5:13 am

Character isn't accurate. If she was, then the gameplay would be clunky as motor clumsiness and sensory issues would muddle up the crosshairs. They also leave out a dozen other things that would make the character unplayable too or would not be qualified to be a character in the game.

-Johnnyh

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 1:41 am

johnnyh wrote:
Character isn't accurate. If she was, then the gameplay would be clunky as motor clumsiness and sensory issues would muddle up the crosshairs. They also leave out a dozen other things that would make the character unplayable too or would not be qualified to be a character in the game.

Not all autistic people have sensory and motor differences to the degree that would render them 'clunky'.