best jobs for people with aspergers

Page 14 of 16 [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Tsukimi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2011, 2:18 am

amhealy wrote:
Attorney.

If you are good with words, you will be good at drafting documents and speaking in court.

If you work for yourself, which I believe is the only way to go for people with AS and/or ADHD, you can get to the office when you want, make your own shedule, avoid phone calls if you want, etc.

Have to be good at talking to people. And that's another thing that I love about my job. I love to talk to people, but I am not good at making friends, nor am I any good at getting along with people say at soccer games. But as a lawyer, I get to talk to people about my obsession all day long, and they pay me to do it, lol.

Important question for me - if you are self-employed, how do you deal with having to find customers? I'm said you have to get a social life so people know you exist... But I guess you've found other ways. How does it work?

Littleun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jun 2011, 4:23 pm

The best job ive found is working in a residential school for children with autism. I have always wanted to work with children, and an autistic school gives structure and routine which suits me perfectly! i manage a house of 6 children so i can choose my hours to work, and how the day will run. Social skills arent really needed as many of the children are non verbal, therefore short simple instructions are used which are scripted to you when you get the job. Its also very rewarding, and i have so much patience for the children as i know how it feels to be anxious about a situation or not understand something!

Icyclan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jun 2011, 1:20 pm

Gallowglass wrote:
Joshandspot wrote:
What in your opinion are the best kind of jobs for people with aspergers. I know we're all different but are there any in particular that stand out?

Body guard/secutity

I don't know about that. I used to be a doorman, but I gave it up pretty quickly. There's a whole slew of reasons why people with Asperger's would have trouble with that kind of work: overstimulation of the senses, the need to recognize when things are about to flare up, lacking conversational skills etc.

And even then, there's always the danger of getting seriously injured in an altercation. The head bouncer who I worked with, who had been working there for over ten years, told me the only reason why he was still there was because he had a family to feed.

I'm a freelance translator now; and while it doesn't pay particularly well, at least I don't risk getting stabbed or shot. I can plan my work schedule as I see fit, and I don't have to deal with the tiring social interactions.

FadeAway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2011, 2:02 am

Icyclan wrote:
I'm a freelance translator now; and while it doesn't pay particularly well, at least I don't risk getting stabbed or shot. I can plan my work schedule as I see fit, and I don't have to deal with the tiring social interactions.

Interesting. Something like that would be pretty good for me as well. Would you be willing to share some information about this (maybe PM if you don't want to disclose this in a public forum)?
Which languages do you translate to/from? Do you think you will be able to make a living with this in the long term (i.e. is there a big enough market for this kind of work)? Can you share how you find your clients and how you got started?

Do you have to translate large amounts of text quickly to be profitable or are there clients who appreciate (and pay for) good translations (e.g. not just carrying across the content but also adhering to a style similar to the original text's)? Most translations from english into my mother language appear to be low quality. Since I don't believe people are unable to produce good translations, I always assumed that nobody really cares about quality translations as long as it is cheap. Personally I find cheap translations outrageous and I don't understand why there is so little appreciation of language and correctness. In many cases they not only alter a text's style but even the content to a degree that the intention of the author is completely obscured or altered.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 5:49 am

Hey Guys,
This link helped me. Personally I've aways liked drawing and creative writing and in more recent years I've started playing guitar as well so something creatvie would be good. I do like the idea of woring in one of the world's biggest most famous old libraries but.

http://www.autism.com/ind_choosing_job.asp

Icyclan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2011, 5:12 pm

FadeAway, please check your inbox.

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2011, 12:36 am

about working as a financial analyst who looks to manage the investments of institutions?

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2011, 7:54 am

Worked in two plant nurseries about a decade ago. In retrospect, probably ideal. There were people around, which I liked, but almost no direct customer contact which I also liked. Got to be outside, tending plants. Given directions for the day, then left to do it. The plants were fascinating, with just just enough repetition to keep things comfortable, and enough non threatening diversity to keep things interesting.

As I get more depressed at the stalemate of life, I'm thinking of getting back into horticulture. At least I enjoyed it.

NUJV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2011, 12:45 pm

My job is perfect for Aspies. I'm an optical workshop assistant and I work alone in a lab all day, making glasses using a very systematic, step-by-step process which is easy to fall into so that you can think about other things. There are no windows so the light is controlled, and I can't hear noise from outside. Sometimes I don't speak to anyone for days on end, it's great.

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

What about being a financial analyst who handles investments?
Or an accountant?

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2011, 12:55 am

What about medical transcriptionist or working with birds? :D
I'm currently enrolled in an online MT training program and plan on working from home. I bet its typical of Aspies to work from home since they don't have to deal with office drama and politics. Also, by working from home, we don't have to deal with all the sensory and social issues.

Oh, working in a plant nursery is also probably a good one...Eva Cassidy worked in a plant nursery by day! :D

straightfairy
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2011, 4:34 am

Asbestos Analyst.
Basically looking down the business end of a microscope all day.
There's a very prescriptive method that you have to follow, for Health, safety and quality assurance purposes, but you'll generally be left by yourself for most of the day with fairly minimal interaction with other people, beyond receipt and delivery of samples.
For those who have read the word 'asbestos' and run off screaming, the procedures you follow and equipment you use make everything very safe.
The co. I work for employs a few people doing this job. They tend not to be outrageous extrovert people. :wink:

Hutchie
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2011, 9:49 am

Payroll Administrator (which was my last job but left due to them relocating) which I seemed to take to like a duck to water.
I think it was because it was repetitive and technical which I enjoyed, the only thing I didn't like about it was because it was a fortnightly payroll for security officers, sometimes there was booking errors in which it created alot of wage queries which I felt got alittle wearisome sometimes, they would constantly phone and I hate talking to people also I had to stay late some days because of the payroll would run late but had it been a salary payroll I think it would of been the perfect job for me.
The employer desperately wanted me to stay on because of the payroll had a complicated process and I did it effortlessly but I didn't want to do the travel, I would of had to use public transport which I hate.

Now I'm a HR assistant which I got through a friend, I didn't seek the job out and I have to say I don't gel with the role like I did my previous job the only thing I like about it is that im in an office with 2 people who I worked with before so they know me and my funny ways, but sometimes things are expected of me which I don't always feel comfortable with like taking minutes in meetings (I can't take notes) and it's awkward sometimes.

If I had to find another job it would be something along the lines of payroll or data entry, something which is routine which I can take in over time and get confident with the role. I do worry though if I did have to find another job because I hate meeting new people and makes me extremely nervous. Actually this is probably due to the fact that my manager from my very first job (Secretary) when I was 18 was really horrible to me he used to pull me up on the fact that I was quiet and obviously didn't take the initiative with tasks but obviously I wouldn't of because I find verbal instruction difficult I need step by step instruction. Now I realise he was just an ignorant so and so.

fbug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2011, 6:50 pm

Joshandspot wrote:
What in your opinion are the best kind of jobs for people with aspergers. I know we're all different but are there any in particular that stand out?

I believe this to be the wrong question to be asking. What would be the best job for someone with aspergers depends solely on that individual's particular interests and capabilities.

As you said, we're all different so asking what the best job for a particular group of people will likely cause that group to be pigeonholed into having only limited options in life. One example of this happening is discussed here:

http://asd2mom.blogspot.com/2011/07/i-a ... -less.html

In short, the best kind of job for an aspie is one that person feels is right for him or her, nothing else.

I'm not really autistic. The "professionals" who labeled me couldn't distinguish an anxiety disorder from a developmental disability. I'm just here to give advice to help prevent what was done to me from happening to anyone else.

Gimmethecreeps
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2011, 4:30 pm

The best job I ever had, the one I really miss and made me the happiest was being a heavy machine safety inspector on third shift. It was me and about 12 other people to a shift. I got to drive a golf cart around and pick up Gradall (google it) machines from a lot, drive them up to my work station and inspect them for any defects, fill out some forms, install some stuff and drive them back down to be shipped. I loved it. It had close to all of my interests- nitpicking, driving, lots of jargon, answering questions, working independently, etc. I only lost the job because I had knee surgery and the recovery took longer than expected. By the time I was healed up the job was no longer a part of my routine and I was too freaked to go back so I quit. I can see how that type of specialized industrial job, combined with night shift benefits would be a good aspie job template.

massimo18015
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2011, 7:34 pm

bluecountry wrote:
What about being a financial analyst who handles investments?
Or an accountant?

Being an Internal Auditor was fun.