Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 11:04 pm

Well, I finally got my mother to talk with my counselor. Let's just say that things turned out the opposite of how I wanted them to. The final conclusion was, let's give him even harder classes! I told her about my slipping grades, yet she denied it. My mother is still convinced that "I'm not challenged enough" in terms of coursework. That's not it, it's the plain and boring teaching style. I've tried explaining this to her. Now I'm going into all honours classes next year (minus Spanish, because that's not a main class). I originally just signed up for history honours, since it's my best class.

I can't deal with this for three more years (and the remaining semester). It's just too difficult. I want to be near the shining light at the end of the road. What should I do?

Commadore1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Mar 2017, 5:39 pm

What do you want to do?

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 8:35 pm

Commadore1 wrote:
What do you want to do?

I'd like to go into alternative education, but that isn't an option. My family has financial issues and both of my parents work (my father lives 30 minutes away as it is). I'm just not sure at this point. I'm not good at much. I'm okay at writing, but not amazing or anything. There are enough authors anyway. I like learning languages, so Latin class is the only class that I genuinely enjoy.

Datguy
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Mar 2017, 2:46 pm

Try meditation
A good way is trying to "visualize" what you want your life to be like.

Also try talking to your mom in a different way. Try talking to her in a way that she will understand you more.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 3:43 pm

Honors classes will have a less plain and boring teaching style. The teachers like teaching the smart kids, and use more interesting examples and activities because they have time to do them (unlike regular classes where they have to keep on the rote repetition for the benefit of the stupid kids.) There will be an average of fewer bullies and less noise in such classes, because it's where all the serious students are. Don't decide it'll be too hard until you at least give it a try.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 6:44 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
Honors classes will have a less plain and boring teaching style. The teachers like teaching the smart kids, and use more interesting examples and activities because they have time to do them (unlike regular classes where they have to keep on the rote repetition for the benefit of the stupid kids.) There will be an average of fewer bullies and less noise in such classes, because it's where all the serious students are. Don't decide it'll be too hard until you at least give it a try.

But here's the thing, I'm in one honours class. It's the same style, just 30% more work. I need a different style, the noise reduction would easily be countered with the hard work.