Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

PaulHubert
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2017, 1:15 am

I got my associate's in Computer Technology with Specialization in Java Software development. I got by in my SQL and Web Design classes but really excelled in the Java software classes. I really enjoy everything about Java: crunching the numbers, prompting actions or alerts on a web page or stand-alone app, scanning important information from a database. I'm fine with using secondary skills (from my standpoint) like SQL and Javascript, I will inevidably see it...what I'm worried about is this full-stack trend in the web space that's effectively phasing out Java in favor of AngularJS and MongoDB (I will tell you right now that I find Angular.JS dreadful from my short time doing exercises). Is there a space in technology where Java specialization is highly depended on now and into the future? My objective on my resume pretty much says "looking to obtain employment in front-end and/or back-end development with emphasis in Java." I'm not even sure whether Java is back-end or front-end...to me it always seemed like "the middle". Long story short, what sort of job should I look for, apply for, cater my resume for, research for, ect.? Also I'm not totally on this, I don't have any problem taking up Python or C++ or some other "business-logic-y" language if it'll help me land a job.

myaspielife
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2017, 5:44 pm

There are loads of Java jobs where I live. Many tend to be enterprise and often in the financial industry. Also a lot of start ups. Most of the jobs I see are backend, web and non-web based. Lots of Spring, Websphete, Hibernate, and RESTful API experience wanted. And MongoDB. I also see lots of Android development, which is the only Java development I do now. I've moved away from web development and more onto backend systems and APIs. I primarily use Python for backend/system programming and Go for APIs. Certainly done a lot of Java RESTful api development too, mostly Jersey and Toncat. I've avoided the JavaScript madness and it hasn't hurt me a bit.