Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 5:29 am

Do you think the world will survive another year or so without having us being blown up? I'm really concerned, I don't feel like I had a good time on this Earth and I let it all pass me by. I feel like I'll have to die a virgin sometimes. I hope somebody has a positive answer. But there seems to be things getting worse lately, things are changing. I just hope things like N. Korea can be taken care of alright.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 5:33 am

I think you need to stop overthinking and looking at scaremongery articles. Calm down it's all fine. :)

The world isn't going to blow up, every country is in bed with every other country so where would all the profit they make from each other go if they blew each other up? They'd lose out on profit and in a capitalist world, profit is important.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 6:55 am

North Korea still sucks though. They are only getting more serious and provocative with their threats to the west. It might be worth having to deal with them, but not sure.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 7:19 am

K_Kelly wrote:
North Korea still sucks though. They are only getting more serious and provocative with their threats to the west. It might be worth having to deal with them, but not sure.

North Korea only makes threats when their country is starving as they rely heavily on China for resources, and China relies heavily on the world for their profit. I imagine more resources will be thrown over to them. South Koreans are very used to the threats North Korea makes and they aren't worried in the least, they mostly just roll their eyes at it.

If people/government were really worried about it we would've intervened a long time ago.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 5:58 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
Do you think the world will survive another year or so without having us being blown up? I'm really concerned, I don't feel like I had a good time on this Earth and I let it all pass me by. I feel like I'll have to die a virgin sometimes. I hope somebody has a positive answer. But there seems to be things getting worse lately, things are changing. I just hope things like N. Korea can be taken care of alright.

Please read:

"The eastern world, it is explodin',
Violence flarin', bullets loadin',
You're old enough to kill but not for votin',
You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin',
And even the Jordan river has bodies floatin',
But you tell me over and over and over again my friend,
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction.
Don't you understand, what I'm trying to say?
And can't you feel the fears I'm feeling today?
If the button is pushed, there's no running away,
There'll be no one to save with the world in a grave,
Take a look around you, boy, it's bound to scare you, boy,
And you tell me over and over and over again my friend,
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction."

These are some of the lyrics from the 1965 song Eve of Destruction. See any similarities?
Yes, 1965 for Pete's sake and I'm sure that by those lyrics that the writer and many people then, 52 years ago, thought the same thing you do. But despite it all humanity has survived the last 52 years and if I were a betting man I'd bet we'll still be here with the same the sky is falling type of people wringing thier hands over the same things in 2069.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 7:11 pm

There is a high probability life on this planet will survive another two billion years. The odds are not as good for the human race. The biological shelf life of mammalian species is in the millions of years. The human race is smart enough to wipe itself out. But that is not easy to do.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 7:56 pm

Whether the world ends next year or not,
it would be a shame for you to waste an entire year
worrying about it.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 9:16 pm

No explosion from a man made device at present is mighty enough to pierce all those countless miles through the Earth, so even if we manage to wipe ourselves out the Earth will remain.

Will we survive the current political tensions, though? Sure.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 9:26 pm

The world survived the cold war in which the two superpowers had thousands of warheads pointed at each other (each had enough to flatten the other continental sized country dozens of times over).

N.Korea only has a handful of nukes. Only enough to destroy a few small cities. Not the end of the world.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 7:19 am

The world will be just fine, even if humans will make themselves extinct (actually, it will start doing better if we are gone).
Whether human society will survive? yeah, it will; small scale war is good for business (for some people), but all-out world war, especially nuclear war, is bad for everyone involved, so noone will start one.
No, not even north korea, Kimmy is smart enough to know that his entire country will be flat before he launched his second missile...

PhoenixFalcon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Mar 2017, 6:32 pm

Unless the United States and Russia enter into full-scale war with each other (A situation that has a very low chance of happening, at least for now), the world as a whole will probably be just fine by the time 2018 rolls around. The situation in North Korea you refer to is certainly concerning, but unless you live in one of the Koreas, it's unlikely to affect you directly.

There's certainly a lot of things going wrong with this world in general, but many of these processes are gradual, and they will only begin to seriously affect civilization in the coming several decades. Not saying that's a reason for inaction of course, it's better for everyone if disaster is averted, but we do have time.

What I'm trying to say is this: The future is uncertain, but it's very likely that we as a civilization will make it to the end of the year.