Page 15 of 21 [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 9:38 pm

ZenDen wrote:
Quote:
If it became a rebellion it would most likely be the government's hired guns that trigger it with scenarios similar to what they did at Waco in 1993 and Ruby Ridge the year before that. There is a point where civil obedience gets pushed to the breaking point and ignites widespread civil disobedience. The nation is probably considerably less stable now than in the early 90's and won't change much in the foreseeable future. This creates a climate where the dick in the hornet's nest scenario I mentioned in my last post becomes more plausible.

If my preference of dying on my feet rather than live on my knees is inflammatory BS then so be it because I am what I am.

What about shooting an innocent guard? Who is this guard and what is he guarding? Attacking from cover is common in warfare and has been for a few centuries in America and where American troops have been involved. What's your real American method, an old west style gunfight on the street with both parties drawing and firing Colt SAA's at each other?

Btw; please start using the quote tools. Makes things much tidier and easier to read.

Quote:
What about shooting an innocent guard? Who is this guard and what is he guarding?

His name is Joe Brisson, you don't know him but he lives 2 blocks from you. His two little girls are the ones playing out in front all the time. He's had a hard time finding a job so this is what lead him to enlisting in the National Guard.

The warehouse he guards is full of food supplies and a recent shipment of AR type weapons. Tomorrow, Thursday, he was supposed to take some "leave time" to take the kids roller skating after school. And you'll attack this innocent from your foul cover? And then show us your pride? This is not the way humans live.

He was not planning to kill you. There is no "other" in this fight. It's one American killing another....for reasons of pride? This is not your enemy but in frustration you'll kill him because you can't get at your true enemy? Poor choices my friend. Use your head.

I almost forgot about you.
Yes, we hit that warehouse on a cold moonless drizzly night, approaching stealthily from the woods to the east. We hacked the security system and disabled it earlier. I saw Joe walking a beat around the warehouse perimeter with my night vision goggles and had my designated marksman, 75 yards behind me and on a wooded knoll, take the shot.

The report of his suppressed AR-15 in .300 Blackout made less noise from where I was standing than when the 125 grain bullet beached Joe's skull 45 yards away from me hiding in my "foul cover". His knees buckled instantly and he dropped to the pavement. The five of us, armed to the teeth, rushed the warehouse and seized it.

We split up all those "AR type weapons" between us and I now have a garage full of them with the boxes stacked to the ceiling from one end to the other. I'm having a sale on them this Saturday; buy one and get another at half off.

How's that for a happy ending?
:D

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2017, 10:16 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
I have found it comes down to a simple human defect we all end up falling victim to. That is, when we want or desire something, we make every excuse we can to justify it. Even try to make it sound logical. But in the end we are just trying to justify a position we agree with, not trying to determine objectively if a gun is really necessary. In reality, if I was living in a place so dangerous I didn't feel safe without a gun, I would just move. Why would I want to live in an area like that?

I actually worry more for my safety when around some people carrying guns. I'm not talking about the ones who I know are responsible and have been properly trained to use and discern when the best time to use a weapon would be. I'm talking about the masses of people in the US who own guns but have never taken a class to learn to use them properly and seem perpetually on edge and excited for an opportunity to come up in which to use it. Those people are dangerous and can escalate a situation from just a robbery to a shoot out. Even if you are trained to operate a weapon it is knowing when and when not to use it that is also important.
Hey, don't say that. You might upset the special snowflake conservatives!

And don't you know the second amendment only applies to the people who have taken the proper training? It's not like it applies to everyone /sarcasm

That's exactly it. They ignore all the inconvenient facts and focus on the ones they like. They have exactly demonstrated my original point.

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2017, 10:24 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
Is it responsible for a person to leave loaded guns around where children can easily get a hold of them? I would say no. Something like keeping such items out of reach of children is just good sense to me but obviously some people need training to tell them that. Kind of sad really.

I feel this ties-in with what I was discussing with someone else, on this thread. There seems to be 3 basic "gun-toting" groups of people: "Gun Culture" people, people who one day decide they want a gun, for protection, and criminals.

"Gun Culture" people, like my family, teach their kids from day-one, practically, everything there is to know about guns, gun safety, gun care, shooting, etc., and these are the families, generally speaking, that can leave loaded guns in the house, without fear of a kid doing something stupid, with it. There's not a household in my family that hasn't had a gun, at some time or another, and NO ONE has EVER done something stupid with a gun; like, shoot their foot, or a little kid shooting their younger sibling.

The people who just all-of-a-sudden decide they want a gun for protection, don't usually have a lifetime culture, and these are the people who should NOT leave a loaded gun lying-around, cuz they're only thinking about what the gun means, for THEM (the adult), and never think about what a gun means for a CHILD (again, generally speaking----I'm sure there are some, where this doesn't apply).

Criminals are ALSO, IMO, people who are only thinking about what the gun is, to THEM----and, that seems to be: "I want something and this gun can get it for me".

That's really the issue right there. Under the current system none of those groups are denied access to weapons. Your personal experience is also anecdotal, of course that happens as well. What if someone was visiting your home though and stumbled upon a loaded gun because it was improperly stored? With loaded guns all over the place this is an absolutely plausible scenario.

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2017, 10:45 am

Dox47 wrote:
For the third time, do you actually have any support for this idea that untrained gun carriers are an actual problem? As in, beyond your opinion, which I've seen no reason to lend any special credence to.

I'm pretty sure the articles I linked were not opinion pieces created by me and were actual news articles. This really avoids my point anyway, that being it's easy to find news articles about this subject. The problem is that it needs a proper scientific study.

Dox47 wrote:
Anyone is allowed to study the issue, many in fact do, they're just not allowed to use tax money to do it. Many states publish both the number of carry permits they have in circulation and the number of permits they've revoked for criminal misbehavior, it doesn't take a university study to compare those numbers and come up with a crime rate, or compare said crime rate to that of the police. The rarity of CCW holders shooting bystanders is also easily verified through simple Google, as in you won't find many examples, where as any other similarly sensational crime is covered quite extensively, and it's not like the news media has any great affection for legal carriers.

While anyone can study the issue, maybe you arn't aware of this but, a large portion of the unbiased research done is funded by the government. Private corporations have no interest in such issues, the have interest in ventures that generate profit. eg The selling of arms and all the other items that go along with the culture.

Dox47 wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, anyone legally owning a gun should be allowed to carry it, otherwise you tend to get burdensome regulations imposed in order to make carry as expensive and inconvenient as possible, e.g. Chicago, where getting a carry permit requires training, but gun ranges are banned from city limits. Like I said, studies have shown that training requirements to get a carry permit make no difference to crime and accident rates, so there really is no justification for them, unless safety isn't your actual goal, as in Chicago. I have no formal training in shooting, just years at the range and such, and I've been carrying since I was 21 without issue, and I'm more the rule than the exception when it comes to legal carriers.

Which studies are these? Are they from an unbiased source? The issues in Chicago are a poor example. Banning guns in a particular city when they are easily accessible all around it does nothing. It doesn't take a lot of thought to figure this out.

Dox47 wrote:
Just like I could spend the day linking defensive shootings, but what would that prove? Those are also all accidents, not poorly trained gun owners shooting the wrong people, which is the assertion I challenged you to defend in the first place. If I wanted to know the accidental gun death rate I could just look it up, it's easily available, what I want you to show me is how often concealed carriers hit bystanders and such, since you seem to think that legally armed people turning robberies into shootouts is such a common occurrence.

I think you missed my overall point. That being we both could link articles all day of the good and bad outcomes of carrying weapons. The point is that an unbiased and comprehensive study of the issue is needed. It is more common than it could be is the point. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want a proper study done as it would surely prove you are correct. You could proceed to cite that research any time someone says something contradictory. Then we could start getting rid of all the onerous gun laws so we could all be safer.

Dox46 wrote:
I'm in no such position, unless you think it's impossible to do research without government money.

I'm sure you know but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Not allowing the government to fund a study of the issue means it will likely never happen. That was the entire point of blocking them from doing so.

Dox47 wrote:
You seem to have misunderstood what I said. Leaving loaded guns around children is indeed irresponsible, but a great many things are irresponsible, but only gun related irresponsibility seems to draw such a hysterical response and calls for more laws, usually from people who would not be affected by said laws. One of my neighbors, for example, once was momentarily distracted while cooking and left a sharp knife on a cutting board where her 6 year old immediately picked it up and cut himself badly enough to require a trip to the ER; would you call that anything other than an accident and/or support some kind of charges against my neighbor? How about a safe storage law for knives and anything else that may harm a child?

First we need to define some terms. What you describe with the knife is indeed an accident. Why is it an accident? It is an accident because he was distracted and left a knife where a child could reach it. It happens to all humans. If she had kept the knife within reach of the child as a matter of policy and normal storage, it would not be an accident. As a matter of policy knives are kept up and away from the edges of the counter the children cannot reach them. If someone accidentally forgot to put a gun away, it would be an accident. If it is stored loaded under a couch cushion of other place easily reached by children as a matter of normal storage procedure, it is not an accident but irresponsible.

I agree people get far more emotional when it comes to accidents with firearms. Some people are adamant in their desire to "ban all guns" and I don't agree with that either. If laws were put in place to better train gun buyers and enforce better storage of weapons a lot of these "accidents" would cease to exist. That would leave the media with less to sensationalize which would only benefit the cause of gun owners. The less people see this stuff in the media the less they will favor banning guns.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 1:22 pm

NotThatClever13 wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
There seems to be 3 basic "gun-toting" groups of people: "Gun Culture" people, people who one day decide they want a gun, for protection, and criminals.

"Gun Culture" people, like my family, teach their kids from day-one, practically, everything there is to know about guns, gun safety, gun care, shooting, etc., and these are the families, generally speaking, that can leave loaded guns in the house, without fear of a kid doing something stupid, with it. There's not a household in my family that hasn't had a gun, at some time or another, and NO ONE has EVER done something stupid with a gun; like, shoot their foot, or a little kid shooting their younger sibling.

The people who just all-of-a-sudden decide they want a gun for protection, don't usually have a lifetime culture, and these are the people who should NOT leave a loaded gun lying-around, cuz they're only thinking about what the gun means, for THEM (the adult), and never think about what a gun means for a CHILD (again, generally speaking----I'm sure there are some, where this doesn't apply).

Criminals are ALSO, IMO, people who are only thinking about what the gun is, to THEM----and, that seems to be: "I want something and this gun can get it for me".[/b][/color]

That's really the issue right there. Under the current system none of those groups are denied access to weapons. Your personal experience is also anecdotal, of course that happens as well. What if someone was visiting your home though and stumbled upon a loaded gun because it was improperly stored? With loaded guns all over the place this is an absolutely plausible scenario.

Well, first-of-all, I don't see how what I related, about my personal experience, was anecdotal----because, to ME, "anecdotal" would be if I said: "I heard my neighbor was..." (what I was relating, was firsthand experience)----but, anyway.....

Secondly, I can't imagine your scenario happening, in a "gun-culture" home. We, generally, keep to our own kind----and, we're taught morals and manners, from day one, and that means people don't go around snooping in other people's drawers / closets, and so-forth, so they wouldn't "stumble upon" a loaded gun; and, even if they did, again, we're taught, from day one, not to touch.

Thirdly, IMO, "improperly stored" is subjective. It is NOT, IMO, "improperly stored" to put a loaded gun in the nightstand drawer in a "gun culture" home----it IS, however, "improperly stored" to store a loaded gun in the nightstand drawer of a NON-gun-culture home (the home of one of those other groups, I mentioned).

Lastly, as for your "none of those groups are denied access to weapons": It never ceases to amaze me that people seem to believe that any type of ban / partial ban on guns, will simply make guns disappear. Even if every gun owner, voluntarily handed-in their guns (which will never happen----my family, ALONE, is of the "from my cold dead hands", type), there would still be millions of criminals, WITH guns. Also, if there was a gun ban in the U.S., all those guns being funneled-through the U.S. to Mexico, would just STOP HERE, as the market for guns, here, would pick-up, exponentially.

Baltimore City has had more-than-one "Turn-in Your Guns Day"----and, you know what happened? People who were low on cash, turned-in their guns, and the very first time they had the available cash, again, went and bought another one----or, just went and stole another one, which is more convenient.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 1:26 pm

I know you were talking to Dox, but I wanted to make a comment on this part, right here:

NotThatClever13 wrote:
If laws were put in place to... enforce better storage of weapons a lot of these "accidents" would cease to exist.

And, how do you propose we do that? Do you think the local police should go-around to everyone's home, for unannounced safety inspections? Meanwhile, the REAL criminals will be running rampant.

Also----and I really don't mean to be rude, in saying this----but, why is it that non-Americans / non-citizens, are so often giving us flak about our guns? When you've walked a mile, in my shoes.....

Nobody likes unsolicited advice----and, even if an American started a thread on here, to ask advice on how we could get rid of guns, that would be ONE American's request.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 4:44 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
And, how do you propose we do that? Do you think the local police should go-around to everyone's home, for unannounced safety inspections? Meanwhile, the REAL criminals will be running rampant.
here's three ways:
1) require that a gun safe is installed if you're purchasing firearms/applying for a firearms-related license
2) tax ammo sales and have said inspections, though not unannounced
3)regulate ammo(and components to manufacture same)
Quote:
Also----and I really don't mean to be rude, in saying this----but, why is it that non-Americans / non-citizens, are so often giving us flak about our guns? When you've walked a mile, in my shoes.....

Nobody likes unsolicited advice----and, even if an American started a thread on here, to ask advice on how we could get rid of guns, that would be ONE American's request.
maybe it's how the US is ranked 4th in the world for firearm related deaths(http://vizhub.healthdata.org/gbd-compare/# C3.2.1 Physical violence by Firearm, deaths) and 2nd for prevalence of firearm related deaths(http://vizhub.healthdata.org/gbd-compare/# C3.2.1, prevalence). Brazil leads the world in gun violence, but the US beats them in unintentional firearm fatal injuries.(C2.5.1, deaths).

P.S. you can't really call it unsolicited with a straight face when nearly half the country wants more firearms control

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 4:56 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Well, first-of-all, I don't see how what I related, about my personal experience, was anecdotal----because, to ME, "anecdotal" would be if I said: "I heard my neighbor was..." (what I was relating, was firsthand experience)----but, anyway.....
congrats on redefining what 'anecdote' means. as for the rest of us, it still means the same thing; that your story of your personal experience is an anecdote(with little value to anyone else)

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:53 pm

Yes, anecdotal knowledge on firearms is especially scary when there are people on this forum who actually know the subject so well. Statistics with graphs and all are much more comfy. I mean gee willikers, you toss a few graphs in there and you KNOW it has to be all factual and $hit.

These anti-gun people have themselves and thier pet politicians to thank for the proliferation of firearms in more recent years. Or is it that all those guns and ammo sold in the past 8 years, especially after Sandy Hook, just imaginary? Shooting ranges have become so crowded with new shooters that it's not even fun to be a range officer any more. But hey, that's all just anecdotal and means nothing.
:roll: :roll:

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 10:31 am

Fugu wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
here's three ways:
1) require that a gun safe is installed if you're purchasing firearms/applying for a firearms-related license
Quote:

maybe it's how the US is ranked 4th in the world for firearm related deaths(http://vizhub.healthdata.org/gbd-compare/# C3.2.1 Physical violence by Firearm, deaths) and 2nd for prevalence of firearm related deaths(http://vizhub.healthdata.org/gbd-compare/# C3.2.1, prevalence). Brazil leads the world in gun violence, but the US beats them in unintentional firearm fatal injuries.(C2.5.1, deaths).

P.S. you can't really call it unsolicited with a straight face when nearly half the country wants more firearms control

Well, here you are again, all in the mustard, tryin' to ketchup!! I wasn't even talking to you----but, I'll go this round with ya, just so the THINKING people will see how silly your posts, are.....

Those three suggestions you made, up there, are for regulating LAW-ABIDING citizens, and most of them already have gun cabinets; and, I would venture to guess that most CRIMINALS, DON'T----so, what do you propose, to regulate CRIMINALS?

If you don't have "unannounced" inspections, how do you figure they're gonna be effective? I mean, if law enforcement announces that they're gonna inspect houses, then CRIMINALS will just let their "cousin" hold their firearms, until the heat passes (LAW-ABIDING citizens will already be following regulations, to a "T").

Ammunition is already regulated. California, for instance----one of thee most-regulated states in the country----says one can't LEGALLY buy / possess magazines that hold more than 10 rounds; AND, they require a background check, just for ammunition.

As for our rankings, you've linked: I don't care if we rank no. 1 in every single category there is, regarding guns----unless Americans are coming to YOUR country, and trying to illegally sell YOUR citizens, guns, it shouldn't matter to any other country, what we're doing. (Suggestion: If you want to successfully dupe/bait people by putting only "Dallas" in your profile, you should know that Americans consider using the word "spelt", as bad English, and we don't spell "color", with a "u".)

As for your P.S.: Well, if "nearly half the country wants more firearms control", than MORE-THAN-HALF, DOESN'T!! LOLOLOL TOO funny!!

As for your problem with the way I define, "anecdotal": My dictionary says (copied and pasted):

"consisting of or based on secondhand accounts rather than firsthand knowledge or experience"

So, by that definition, the word "anecdotal" doesn't apply to what I was relating, because it was firsthand experience. Most people on here, cry "anecdotal" because they want some kind of "scientific" something----and, while I respect / appreciate science, it is not, IMO, the be-all-and-end-all.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 9:32 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
here's three ways:
Quote:

Well, here you are again, all in the mustard, tryin' to ketchup!! I wasn't even talking to you----but, I'll go this round with ya, just so the THINKING people will see how silly your posts, are.....

Those three suggestions you made, up there, are for regulating LAW-ABIDING citizens, and most of them already have gun cabinets; and, I would venture to guess that most CRIMINALS, DON'T----so, what do you propose, to regulate CRIMINALS?

If you don't have "unannounced" inspections, how do you figure they're gonna be effective? I mean, if law enforcement announces that they're gonna inspect houses, then CRIMINALS will just let their "cousin" hold their firearms, until the heat passes (LAW-ABIDING citizens will already be following regulations, to a "T").

Ammunition is already regulated. California, for instance----one of thee most-regulated states in the country----says one can't LEGALLY buy / possess magazines that hold more than 10 rounds; AND, they require a background check, just for ammunition.

As for our rankings, you've linked: I don't care if we rank no. 1 in every single category there is, regarding guns----unless Americans are coming to YOUR country, and trying to illegally sell YOUR citizens, guns, it shouldn't matter to any other country, what we're doing. (Suggestion: If you want to successfully dupe/bait people by putting only "Dallas" in your profile, you should know that Americans consider using the word "spelt", as bad English, and we don't spell "color", with a "u".)

As for your P.S.: Well, if "nearly half the country wants more firearms control", than MORE-THAN-HALF, DOESN'T!! LOLOLOL TOO funny!!

As for your problem with the way I define, "anecdotal": My dictionary says (copied and pasted):

"consisting of or based on secondhand accounts rather than firsthand knowledge or experience"

So, by that definition, the word "anecdotal" doesn't apply to what I was relating, because it was firsthand experience. Most people on here, cry "anecdotal" because they want some kind of "scientific" something----and, while I respect / appreciate science, it is not, IMO, the be-all-and-end-all.

Just post a picture of a plate of fried fish and hushpuppies, or a fillet knife.
Scares the hell out of him.
:twisted:

autistlivesmatter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2017, 9:46 pm

I'm a Pro-Gun Democrat. Why? When you have a society where only the government and criminals (criminals will always get their hands on guns) have the guns, you get unarmed autistic men and unarmed black men getting shot on the street by bigoted cops (hired goons). And you become a sitting duck for criminals.

Malcolm X and many Marxists are in favor of the right to bear arms for a reason. The whole leftism thing being associated with gun control is a more modern thing. Originating in the 60s I think? Maybe later.

Not to mention that the government wants to take away guns from people who are "mentally ill". This is a slippery slope because mentally ill can be a subjective term. Does that mean as an autistic person, the government wants to take away our guns? (I don't have guns because it's hard to get a gun up here in Canada. But if it was easy to get a gun, I would get one).

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 10:29 pm

autistlivesmatter wrote:
Not to mention that the government wants to take away guns from people who are "mentally ill". This is a slippery slope because mentally ill can be a subjective term.

Exactly, and what qualifies as mentally ill depends on which beliefs are in vogue at the time and often based on current events and media agitation. In the US, gun laws have their roots in Jim Crow laws back in the days of old.

Quote:
(I don't have guns because it's hard to get a gun up here in Canada. But if it was easy to get a gun, I would get one).

I don't live in Canada but most say it's fairly easy to obtain basic Purchase and Acquisition Licence (PAL) that will allow you to buy non-restricted rifles and shotguns. The RPAL for restricted firearms (any handgun and some semi-auto rifles and carbines) is a step above that. The rules for Quebec, I believe, are more stringent.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 1:05 am

Raptor wrote:

You'll laugh but I had to prove to someone that a Ruger 10/22 doesn't have a gas system.
:lol:

Old dude who thought it must work just like an M1 carbine?

I'm fairly tolerant of the general public not understanding the finer points of how guns actually work (until it comes to legislating it, of course), but you'd really think that the head of the design and function (i.e. how guns work) section of the only accredited gunsmithing school in the Western US would know how a fairly popular shotgun worked, especially when we had all the reference books right there on his desk. Double stupid when just taking the gun apart proves pretty definitively how it works, and that's literally what we do in that section.

Another good one was the time a kid at one of my jobs tried to tell me that the whole holding the gun sideways thing was a CIA room-clearing technique to use the recoil to make the gun kick sideways towards the next target and refused to listen even after he found out what I was in school for. No amount of explaining basic physics could budge him off that one, and he looked like he wanted to hit me by the end of it, which would have provided an excellent opportunity for a practical demonstration of how recoil works, but I wanted to keep the job. :lol:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 2:30 am

Raptor wrote:
autistlivesmatter wrote:
Not to mention that the government wants to take away guns from people who are "mentally ill". This is a slippery slope because mentally ill can be a subjective term.

Exactly, and what qualifies as mentally ill depends on which beliefs are in vogue at the time and often based on current events and media agitation. In the US, gun laws have their roots in Jim Crow laws back in the days of old.

Quote:
(I don't have guns because it's hard to get a gun up here in Canada. But if it was easy to get a gun, I would get one).

I don't live in Canada but most say it's fairly easy to obtain basic Purchase and Acquisition Licence (PAL) that will allow you to buy non-restricted rifles and shotguns. The RPAL for restricted firearms (any handgun and some semi-auto rifles and carbines) is a step above that. The rules for Quebec, I believe, are more stringent.

Additionally, if you have a Restricted license, you can only use the guns it covers at licensed firing ranges, so most people don't even bother with them. Myself, I'd be in favor of amending the laws so that people could legally use restricted firearms on their own property, or for hunting.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:01 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
autistlivesmatter wrote:

Quote:

Additionally, if you have a Restricted license, you can only use the guns it covers at licensed firing ranges, so most people don't even bother with them. Myself, I'd be in favor of amending the laws so that people could legally use restricted firearms on their own property, or for hunting.

I told him enough to get started in the right direction if he's interested.

What surprises me is that the Tavor or a Vz-58 to name a few are not on the restricted list but the AR's and AK's are. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since before 2004 in the US it was illegal to install even a standard birdcage flash suppressor on a post-94 AR-15. You could put a muzzle brake on one but not the flash suppressor.

This is something else about Canadian gun laws that surprised the $hit out of me.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/powder-poudre-eng.htm
Quote:
Percussion cap long guns and muzzle-loading black powder handguns made after 1898 are not considered antiques even if they are copies of an earlier antique model. Newer percussion cap long guns are classified as non-restricted firearms; newer handguns, including matchlock, wheel lock and flintlock handguns made after 1898, are classified as restricted if their barrel length is over 105 mm (about 4 inches), or prohibited if their barrel length is 105 mm or less.

A flintlock single-shot handgun is restricted?!?! 8O
Wow!
I've ordered two percussion revolvers from Cabela's or Bass Pro and had them mailed directly to me. They aren't even legally considered firearms in the US.