Page 16 of 21 [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:01 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
autistlivesmatter wrote:
Not to mention that the government wants to take away guns from people who are "mentally ill". This is a slippery slope because mentally ill can be a subjective term.

Exactly, and what qualifies as mentally ill depends on which beliefs are in vogue at the time and often based on current events and media agitation. In the US, gun laws have their roots in Jim Crow laws back in the days of old.

Quote:
(I don't have guns because it's hard to get a gun up here in Canada. But if it was easy to get a gun, I would get one).

I don't live in Canada but most say it's fairly easy to obtain basic Purchase and Acquisition Licence (PAL) that will allow you to buy non-restricted rifles and shotguns. The RPAL for restricted firearms (any handgun and some semi-auto rifles and carbines) is a step above that. The rules for Quebec, I believe, are more stringent.

Additionally, if you have a Restricted license, you can only use the guns it covers at licensed firing ranges, so most people don't even bother with them. Myself, I'd be in favor of amending the laws so that people could legally use restricted firearms on their own property, or for hunting.

I told him enough to get started in the right direction if he's interested.

What surprises me is that the Tavor or a Vz-58 to name a few are not on the restricted list but the AR's and AK's are. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since before 2004 in the US it was illegal to install even a standard birdcage flash suppressor on a post-94 AR-15. You could put a muzzle brake on one but not the flash suppressor.

This is something else about Canadian gun laws that surprised the $hit out of me.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/powder-poudre-eng.htm
Quote:
Percussion cap long guns and muzzle-loading black powder handguns made after 1898 are not considered antiques even if they are copies of an earlier antique model. Newer percussion cap long guns are classified as non-restricted firearms; newer handguns, including matchlock, wheel lock and flintlock handguns made after 1898, are classified as restricted if their barrel length is over 105 mm (about 4 inches), or prohibited if their barrel length is 105 mm or less.

A flintlock single-shot handgun is restricted?!?! 8O
Wow!
I've ordered two percussion revolvers from Cabela's or Bass Pro and had them mailed directly to me. They aren't even legally considered firearms in the US.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:17 am

b9 wrote:
Quote:
Why do Americans love guns so much?

'cause their dicks fit neatly into the barrels.

Better than no dicks.
Ya know, when I was a yoot I thought of Australians as a hardy lot and not the type to get the willies over inanimate objects, especially when the guns they seem to get their panties in a knot over the most are nearly on the far side of the globe. Since I've been on WP (10 years) and involved in these gunz-r-bad threads I think we've had more anti-gunners from Australia pop up than from any other country.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 12:06 pm

I don't understand the gun craze myself.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 12:10 pm

Raptor wrote:
Just post a picture of a plate of fried fish and hushpuppies, or a fillet knife.
Scares the hell out of him.

LOL 'K.....

...and----just for good measure.....

I didn't think your wife'd mind----do YOU, Rap!! LOL

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 8:54 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
\
...and----just for good measure.....

I didn't think your wife'd mind----do YOU, Rap!! LOL

My Gertrude would be honored.
:D

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 9:18 pm

Raptor wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
autistlivesmatter wrote:
Not to mention that the government wants to take away guns from people who are "mentally ill". This is a slippery slope because mentally ill can be a subjective term.

Exactly, and what qualifies as mentally ill depends on which beliefs are in vogue at the time and often based on current events and media agitation. In the US, gun laws have their roots in Jim Crow laws back in the days of old.

Quote:
(I don't have guns because it's hard to get a gun up here in Canada. But if it was easy to get a gun, I would get one).

I don't live in Canada but most say it's fairly easy to obtain basic Purchase and Acquisition Licence (PAL) that will allow you to buy non-restricted rifles and shotguns. The RPAL for restricted firearms (any handgun and some semi-auto rifles and carbines) is a step above that. The rules for Quebec, I believe, are more stringent.

Additionally, if you have a Restricted license, you can only use the guns it covers at licensed firing ranges, so most people don't even bother with them. Myself, I'd be in favor of amending the laws so that people could legally use restricted firearms on their own property, or for hunting.

What surprises me is that the Tavor or a Vz-58 to name a few are not on the restricted list but the AR's and AK's are. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since before 2004 in the US it was illegal to install even a standard birdcage flash suppressor on a post-94 AR-15. You could put a muzzle brake on one but not the flash suppressor.

This is something else about Canadian gun laws that surprised the $hit out of me.
Quote:
Percussion cap long guns and muzzle-loading black powder handguns made after 1898 are not considered antiques even if they are copies of an earlier antique model. Newer percussion cap long guns are classified as non-restricted firearms; newer handguns, including matchlock, wheel lock and flintlock handguns made after 1898, are classified as restricted if their barrel length is over 105 mm (about 4 inches), or prohibited if their barrel length is 105 mm or less.

Wow!
I've ordered two percussion revolvers from Cabela's or Bass Pro and had them mailed directly to me. They aren't even legally considered firearms in the US.

Here's some more Cnadian Gun wierdness for you. In the US, if you get something like Henry or a Rossi 'Mare's Leg' and stick a regular stock on it, you better have an FFA that permits you to have an SBR, (For those of you who don't know, this is a Short Barreled Rifle, with a 14.5 inches or shorter), but in Canada it's perfectly legal.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 9:56 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

You'll laugh but I had to prove to someone that a Ruger 10/22 doesn't have a gas system.
:lol:

Old dude who thought it must work just like an M1 carbine?

No, one of my cousins and we're only about a year apart. I think the first semi-auto rifle or shotgun he saw was gas operated so he assumed all of them were.

Quote:
I'm fairly tolerant of the general public not understanding the finer points of how guns actually work (until it comes to legislating it, of course), but you'd really think that the head of the design and function (i.e. how guns work) section of the only accredited gunsmithing school in the Western US would know how a fairly popular shotgun worked, especially when we had all the reference books right there on his desk. Double stupid when just taking the gun apart proves pretty definitively how it works, and that's literally what we do in that section.

Another good one was the time a kid at one of my jobs tried to tell me that the whole holding the gun sideways thing was a CIA room-clearing technique to use the recoil to make the gun kick sideways towards the next target and refused to listen even after he found out what I was in school for. No amount of explaining basic physics could budge him off that one, and he looked like he wanted to hit me by the end of it, which would have provided an excellent opportunity for a practical demonstration of how recoil works, but I wanted to keep the job. :lol:

I had a guy on the firing line with a PSL-54 who adamantly swore that there was no way to manually lock the bolt to the rear when I asked him to while I was making the line safe to go "cold". I turned it over and pointed out the bolt hold open device up in the mag well that, while designed to be magazine actuated, could easily be done manually and I went ahead did it for him.

He looked like he wanted to hit me, too. His buddy was with him and I think he felt he'd lost face when I, a dumb RO, had to show him things about his own rifle that he should have known or figured out. I wasn't rude about it but I didnt take the time to be overly tactful since I had to continue on down the line and verify all of the rifles were safe. I got another one of those looks when I walked past him on the way back. He shot me little dirty looks the whole time he was there. Fu¢k him and the horse he rode in on.

Most shooters we get are happy to be shown things they don't know and even ask questions, but there are always those few that make things......interesting. :roll:

I like teaching but only to those willing to be taught.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:16 pm

Fogman wrote:
Raptor wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
autistlivesmatter wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow!

Here's some more Cnadian Gun wierdness for you. In the US, if you get something like Henry or a Rossi 'Mare's Leg' and stick a regular stock on it, you better have an FFA that permits you to have an SBR, (For those of you who don't know, this is a Short Barreled Rifle, with a 14.5 inches or shorter), but in Canada it's perfectly legal.

I'd have to look it up to be certain but I'm pretty sure 20mm's like the Solothurn S18/1000 and Lahti L39 are not restricted in Canada, either. That's a beast of a weapon and classified as a destructive device in the US.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 11:23 pm

Raptor wrote:
b9 wrote:
Quote:

Better than no dicks.
Ya know, when I was a yoot I thought of Australians as a hardy lot and not the type to get the willies over inanimate objects, especially when the guns they seem to get their panties in a knot over the most are nearly on the far side of the globe. Since I've been on WP (10 years) and involved in these gunz-r-bad threads I think we've had more anti-gunners from Australia pop up than from any other country.

i don't really care anyway. i just said what i said because it sounded "witty" at the time (i see now it was not that good).

what you people do in the USA is up to you.

the only qualm i would have about guns being legal in australia, is that the police would be paranoid like yours are when they pull you over for even a minor infraction.

your cops are trained to treat everyone as if they are a potential gun carrier, and because of that, people get crash tackled and hancuffed until they are searched and found to be "clean".

in australia, police just walk up to your car and knock on the window and are quite friendly.

everyone that gets 'cuffed in the USA seems to have their hands cuffed behind their backs, and in australia, if they are 'cuffed at all, it's almost always in front of their bodies.

anyway raptor, i have no philosophical stance or interest in guns.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 2:21 am

b9 wrote:
the only qualm i would have about guns being legal in australia, is that the police would be paranoid like yours are when they pull you over for even a minor infraction.

your cops are trained to treat everyone as if they are a potential gun carrier, and because of that, people get crash tackled and hancuffed until they are searched and found to be "clean".

in australia, police just walk up to your car and knock on the window and are quite friendly.

You're not the first non-American to make that point, but like the others, you don't seem aware that our police have gotten twitchier in response to our drug war and some very questionable training practices, not any rise in the prevalence of carrying arms. At some point they seemed to switch from the old "serve and protect" model into behaving more like an occupying force, with the "I've got to survive my shift whatever the cost" mentality to go along with it. There are a number of theories about why that happened, but interestingly, none of them ever seem to cite civilian gun ownership as one the causes.

Also, I think you have an exaggerated idea of how aggressive our cops are, it's only the bad ones that make the news, so it's easy to think that the tackle and cuff routine is the norm rather than the exception. I say that as someone who has no love for the police at all.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 2:30 am

Dox47 wrote:
b9 wrote:

You're not the first non-American to make that point, but like the others, you don't seem aware that our police have gotten twitchier in response to our drug war and some very questionable training practices, not any rise in the prevalence of carrying arms.

what is the danger of discovering drugs compared to the smugglers of those drugs being prepared and able to shoot you?

Dox47 wrote:
At some point they seemed to switch from the old "serve and protect" model into behaving more like an occupying force, with the "I've got to survive my shift whatever the cost" mentality to go along with it. There are a number of theories about why that happened, but interestingly, none of them ever seem to cite civilian gun ownership as one the causes.
it's a war zone where anyone has the potential to kill you from a distance over there in the USA...it is simply due to the potential of a bullet that police are so "proactive" there.
even if you have the wrong look on your face, you will wind up having it pressed into the dirt by scared cops who want to see their wives and kids again that night.

Dox47 wrote:
Also, I think you have an exaggerated idea of how aggressive our cops are, it's only the bad ones that make the news, so it's easy to think that the tackle and cuff routine is the norm rather than the exception. I say that as someone who has no love for the police at all.
yeah i guess that's true. i see the worst of it on australian crime shows and stuff.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 2:47 am

b9 wrote:
it's a war zone where anyone has the potential to kill you from a distance over there in the USA...it is simply due to the potential of a bullet that police are so "proactive" there.
even if you have the wrong look on your face, you will wind up having it pressed into the dirt by scared cops who want to see their wives and kids again that night.

Maybe you should stick to describing how the Australian police think and act, because you seem to have some very strange ideas about the American ones, to say nothing of America itself. Being a cop is pretty safe job here, it seldom even cracks the top ten in terms of danger (in contrast to delivering pizzas, a job we let teenagers do yet is often near the top of the list), and even then the greatest danger is from traffic accidents, not armed criminals. Like I said, the trainers went awry teaching the cops that they were fighting a war and needed to be prepared to shoot at any moment, it had nothing to do with reality, especially seeing as how our police were more like what you described right up until the late 70s to early 80s, when guns were more common in earlier eras. It used to be common to order guns through the mail, drive around with rifles clearly visible in the rear window of your vehicle, for kids to take their hunting guna to school, etc, and nothing came of it, so clearly something other than the availability of guns lead both to our crime problems and our overly aggressive cop problems.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 3:08 am

Dox47 wrote:
b9 wrote:

Maybe you should stick to describing how the Australian police think and act, because you seem to have some very strange ideas about the American ones, to say nothing of America itself. Being a cop is pretty safe job here, it seldom even cracks the top ten in terms of danger (in contrast to delivering pizzas, a job we let teenagers do yet is often near the top of the list), and even then the greatest danger is from traffic accidents, not armed criminals. Like I said, the trainers went awry teaching the cops that they were fighting a war and needed to be prepared to shoot at any moment, it had nothing to do with reality, especially seeing as how our police were more like what you described right up until the late 70s to early 80s, when guns were more common in earlier eras. It used to be common to order guns through the mail, drive around with rifles clearly visible in the rear window of your vehicle, for kids to take their hunting guna to school, etc, and nothing came of it, so clearly something other than the availability of guns lead both to our crime problems and our overly aggressive cop problems.

ahhh whatever.... i don't give a rats arse... you should wait for someone else to say something rather than talk to my deaf ears.
i just think that it would be a bit scary to know that anyone who is cranky with you can kill you from across the street even if you chase them off.

see ya dox.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 3:38 am

Raptor wrote:
b9 wrote:
Quote:

Better than no dicks.

So we should all just agree with you based on your say-so? That would make us no dicks.

Anyway, I'm not the one who's afraid to step outside without a gun :lol:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 1:08 pm

b9 wrote:

ahhh whatever.... i don't give a rats arse... you should wait for someone else to say something rather than talk to my deaf ears.

I know you like to use that cop out, but you keep replying, so obviously you're at least paying some amount of attention. More importantly, you've provided me with the opportunity to address an argument that I've been meaning to, so the next time someone else brings it up, I can point to this exchange as an example of how I've already explained why our cops are wonky and that guns are not the reason.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 1:13 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Anyway, I'm not the one who's afraid to step outside without a gun :lol:

There's no fear involved, I carry a gun for the same reason I keep a spare tire in the trunk of my car, a fire extinguisher in my kitchen, and a first aid kit in my backpack, they're all things you'd really rather have and not need than need and not have. Maybe the Boy Scouts should set up in other parts of the world, I'm shocked at how foreign a concept "be prepared" is outside of the US.