Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

alias_squeegybeckenheim
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2017, 2:36 pm

Hi. I have always had autistic friends. I didn't know I was autistic until 9 months ago, but I've always had autistic friendships. They make sense, other friendships don't.
I talk to my autistic buddy for hours, it's easy. But it's not the real world, most people are neurotypical, and when I'm not with him i have to go back to pretending.
I wouldn't give up that friendship for the world, but it makes me feel crap that my other friendships can't be like that.

Anyone else got any thought on autistic/neurotypical friendships?

electricsaygeo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Mar 2017, 4:11 pm

I've only ever had 1 autistic friend and we used to chat and play videogames very often, it was the best, but now he's started at university and he's made lots of new friends and is having an amazing time (at least, that's what he says). I'm kinda jealous of him for that and I don't wanna see him or speak to him again - it just makes me feel sad/angry now :x

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 10:55 am

My best friend since 2nd grade is Asperger's or has stuff similar to it. And most of my girlfriend's friends are on the spectrum too. Even though she doesn't have autism or anything like that.

Gardiad
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Mar 2017, 1:28 pm

alias_squeegybeckenheim wrote:
Hi. I have always had autistic friends. I didn't know I was autistic until 9 months ago, but I've always had autistic friendships. They make sense, other friendships don't.
I talk to my autistic buddy for hours, it's easy. But it's not the real world, most people are neurotypical, and when I'm not with him i have to go back to pretending.
I wouldn't give up that friendship for the world, but it makes me feel crap that my other friendships can't be like that.

Anyone else got any thought on autistic/neurotypical friendships?

I tend to end up the opposite, maybe due to my late diagnosis (About a year or so after yours) although in secondary school I was around a lot of autistic people because there was a safe space to go with board games and such away from the crowded areas, I found myself easily getting frustrated with them though but I think it was me being frustrated at myself, later on I moved away from them to more NT friends and felt a bit more comfortable made a new best friend who lived near the school so I'd go around his house, I think he has ADD though he's doing well.

Although online I have a friend of whom I'm pretty sure there is something up with him, or maybe he is just NT aswell but I have known him for about 10 years, never met and he is my closest friend who I wouldn't trade for anyone even if he is a bit of a bumhole at times. I don't know why it is so hard to find friendships like that with people, I tend to do great at the start of them but then sort of can't keep myself interested.

Five six seven, open up the pearly gates
Ain't no time to wonder why
Whoopee we all gonna die.