What did you do today to look less autistic?

Page 3 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 1:11 pm

I don't ask questions spontaneously, and it is also hard to know if it appropriate or not too personal.

Today I asked a question to my colleague (Where do you go on holiday?). She was quite happy to tell me and we had a small chat. :)

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 12:28 pm

Today I answered an email pending for some time (because I did not know what to respond). And it looks weird and bad when you do not respond to a kind email.

I also got rid of my earphones (which i'm used to wear the whole day long to cut myself).

Also, I forced myself to start three small chats. I think I did not say anything too weird.

Last edited by LaetiBlabla on 22 Mar 2017, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 2:06 pm

Today I was all day home but yesterday I was able to buy a train ticket in the station and I could look natural, give the proper answers keeping my voice audible and without stuttering and keep a short eye contact. Afterwards I felt so proud of myself but spent the rest of the day super tired.
(Plus when I told my bf how it happened and what I said to him when I get back home, he told me I sound like a native speaker and my speech is perfect which made me super happy.)

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 1:06 pm

When I am interacting with people, I often screw my hands and feel uncomfortable with my body, stutter or can't make a complete sentence . Today I have paid attention to show less signs of stress. I could relax a little, stop screwing my hands and control my speech better than usual :)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 7:35 am

Same as usual. Whenever I didn't understand the social protocol for something and I was too embarrassed to ask becuase I thought I should already know I tried "fishing" for the answer through trial and error and indirect questioning.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 7:50 am

Today I put on my awesome leather jacket, donned my shades and walked like I'm the God-king of the universe. Business as usual. 8)

RnzWithSizzors33
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2017, 9:12 am

I forced myself to make eye contact - the single biggest struggle for me. The only trouble is, when I do that, I have to concentrate so much on it, that I look more like I am staring them down, and I end up making them​ uncomfortable, not to mention the fact that I can't maintain eye contact and talk coherently at the same time. So either way, I lose. lol Man, if NTs only knew how hard we have to work to fit into their little boxes of normalcy... whatever happened to "live and let live?" :-|

FeardyBase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Mar 2017, 11:41 am

I remained 100% of the time where nobody would see me, this is always a 100% effective approach.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 12:52 pm

Today I have paid attention to unwritten rules, understand what is behind conversations.

I have asked questions to know about people and spoke a little about myself.

I have improve (1 or 2% ;) if you like figures) the way I chat with people this week and i'm very happy about it.
I have increased the small chats up to let's say 95% :)
(95% starting from barely no small chats to quite a lot of small chats today, here 95% taking also into account the quality ;) )

Happyyy :)

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 3:35 pm

Today started bad, impossible to open to outside world nor have any eye contact or smiles. I was tired I think. I slept good and tried again... and I started a conversation with a stranger and paid attention not to interrupt, spoke when it was "my turn" to speak, asked questions, listened to answers, with good eye contacts and smiles. :) Resisted to the temptation to help when not asked to. Conversation lasted around 10 minutes and I acted I think perfectly normal :)

I also did an effort to dress "normal" and nice.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 1:26 am

I said as little as possible. Yesterday, I finished packing and then I drove all day today. I've felt about three steps away from a meltdown for a while. The best way to keep calmly interacting with people has been quietly.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 2:13 pm

Yesterday, I have watched some videos from Barron Cruz on YouTube about conversations.

Today I have tried to apply some stuff and I have paid particular attention to the emotion behind what people are saying, and hold eye contact more. When I could do it, it has been quite efficient, waw! :)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 2:19 pm

I gave hugs to my housemates. I felt that they would like more affirmation and hugs, so I tried it and it seems correct. Also feels lovely to me.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 8:14 pm

Stopped myself from taking my irritably with noises going on at the dinner table out on other people. I just stared at my plate and tried not to appear annoyed and complain of the noise. I know its not their fault I overreact to erratic noises and talking. It's just so agitating that I end up snapping at others when they talk to me when I'm feeling overloaded.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2017, 9:58 am

I stopped caring whether I look autistic or not!

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 10:09 am

^Sometimes that seems like the best strategy. If I dance autistically, I will dance enthusiastically autistically and pull it off!