What did you do today to look less autistic?

Page 1 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 3:22 pm

Please share here what you did today to improve how you come out.

(This thread is not about judging if it is good or bad to "fake it normal". It is simply intended for those who want to improve their social skills to support each other in our efforts)

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 3:24 pm

Today, I have paid attention to walk less stiff.

Polly
Raven
Raven

13 Mar 2017, 6:36 am

I went to watch my son play sport,so on the way I worked out who would be there Id have to "chat" to, then worked out what I could ask them to show I'm interested in them.
Wish this came naturally but I either normally go mute or blurt out something random.

hanpil35
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Mar 2017, 10:45 am

I tried hard today to hold eye contact when people talked to me.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 10:46 am

Tried not to talk to myself on the bus

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 2:44 pm

I have gone shopping (what I usually avoid) with intention of buying some more fashionable clothes. I could get used to the loud music in the shops. I also spoke to two shopkeepers and tried to have some facial expressions. Unfortunately, I ended up with a panic crisis. Probably I should try with smaller doses and hope with training it will end up better :?

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2017, 4:14 pm

Unfortunately, I walked right by someone I know and pretended like I didn't see her (she didn't see me)... I was aware of it though and made the conscious decision. But then, I walked by someone else I know and I DID say hi and I even remembered her name and called her by it :-D Hooray!

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 8:08 pm

I just act myself (full autistic).

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 10:21 am

I have tried again to go shopping and success: I came back with a pullover, I chose a fashionable one, instead of the most confortable one (what I usually do). :)

I have also stopped a meltdown just in time by eating a sugary (and delicious) pancake.
(now I believe what i read on the forum that lack of sugar could contribute to lead to a meltdown. At least, this time, sugar stopped it :))

I have walked in crowded streets. I have repeated to myself "i'm in security", "those people and me leave on the same planet", "crossing people is normal, no danger", "it is crowded so if I touch someone, it is just normal", there is noise but I should cope with it and later I will find a quieter place (I did).
I'm happy this helped me to feel more confortable

I have also continued to walk like a cat and practiced eye contact and facial expression (smiles).

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 11:23 am

I believe that I have thoroughly worked out a flexible plan for loading all my stuff into a POD. I have taken measurements and everything, rather than just winging it as usual and counting on my packing skills to cover for my lack of executive functioning.

Next step, face the inevitable stress of sorting, and finding new things that need to be done. I don't think my calendar works as well as it used to; I think I started adding too many tasks to it, and snoozing or delaying them too frequently.

Up to this point, I've managed by developing good habits as much as by acting deliberately. If I want to get farther along, I think I will have to focus more and become more goal oriented. I find that type of thinking uncomfortable, but I've gotten used to all kinds of discomfort. I like licorice now, sometimes.

I think these will make me look less autistic to my new housemates. Rather, since they are both very perceptive and intelligent, it may give them a better impression of how I cope.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 12:15 pm

I stayed home today and didn't see anyone. :)

But the usual, everyday stuff involves making and holding eye contact, not losing it when people bump me or talk loudly near me on the train, occasionally expressing polite interest in other people's boring stories and lives, avoiding talking to myself in public, and making sure my fly is zipped. I've been doing all this so long I rarely slip up... except for that last one.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 12:13 pm

I made myself be brave enough to walk through the town at 4.30pm, at rush hour. I usually hate being out at this time of day because of the heavy traffic, people seem to be more aggressive, and there are a lot of high school kids loitering about in groups. I'm home now. :lol:

Gardiad
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Mar 2017, 1:11 pm

I went outside to a fish and chip van to get lunch, I do this every Wednesday but it's a nice thing, today though I almost missed it but the man who works in it came to knock at my door to see if I didn't hear it (Which I didn't) made me feel quite happy really.

Five six seven, open up the pearly gates
Ain't no time to wonder why
Whoopee we all gonna die.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 7:09 pm

Since yesterday, I have actively tried to figure out and keep in mind the specific rules related to each place I go.

Today, success: I was leaving the hotel where I had spent my holidays. I was with my suitcase at the reception hall. I wanted to exchange stuff between my suitcase and my backpack before leaving. I was about to open my big suitcase (containing all my personal stuff), just in front of the reception door of the standing hotel I was leaving.

I did my mental "rules check" and realized that not only I would block the door with my suitcase but there were plenty of people at the reception desk and it was not convenient to do that...

So I went and open my case in a more suitable place :)

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 6:49 am

nothing, and you don't need to look less autistic to have social skills or interact with people

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 1:55 pm

Today I have trained eye contacts and facial expressions, just little smiles and small eye contacts with my colleagues. I saw a big difference in the response. Such a nice day :))

I have also resisted to speak to myself aloud.