What did you do today to look less autistic?

Page 5 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 1:43 pm

Nothing, I'll be whoever I want to be, I don't care if others judge.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 5:32 pm

Butterfly88 wrote:
Nothing, I'll be whoever I want to be, I don't care if others judge.

That's what I tend to think as well. That is typically what all autistic people think.

Today I did nothing more than usual, i was exhausted, just rested good and concentrated not to destroy the good result of my efforts, with a stupid joke or so :) .

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 3:27 pm

Today I went to a café and spoke with someone, showed interest, asked questions, tried to look relaxed.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 3:31 pm

Oddly, kept to myself.

I guess that deserves a little clarification. I'm doing nothing right lately with one housemate. I've now or less concluded that I can't just act natural without getting an annoyed response, and I can't completely go along with his rhythm without getting annoyed myself. On the one hand, we're dear friends inside the circle of trust, living together and planning to further intertwine our lives. On the other hand, I get a different impression from his responses, like I'm a threat, an annoyance, an obstacle. Since this makes little sense to me on the surface, there must be more involved. So I need to give him space to deal with that. On the gripping hand, if my consideration causes annoyance, I'll happily go through my usual routine and not ask for the information I need to show consideration, but that has to be enough. I won't pester someone to let me do them a favor, but they can't then resent me backing off.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 1:25 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
...and not ask for the information I need to show consideration...

maybe because "there is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." ;o)

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 1:36 pm

I always understand things literally, and only after consideration, I understand the real stuff, but too late, I responded already.

Today I have trained to wait 2 seconds before responding to people. Not easy, we are so much inclined to respond right away! When this becomes a habit, those 2 seconds will hopefully give me time, to understand the real stuff before responding. :)

I also have trouble to choose clothes in the morning, it has to match colours, styles, weather, circumstances, etc.

Today I have sorted and re-organized my clothes in this sense, i'm sure it will make the choice easier. :)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 2:41 pm

^Yesterday, I had to clarify that when I said maybe, I literally meant maybe. If a similar opportunity arises again, I'll further explain that bringing it up for discussion indicates that I don't have a firm plan or fixed conclusion.

Today, I let some inconsistencies go, after a brief discussion, and made sure to mention my preferred, positive, hopeful interpretation and prediction for the processing of a small but recurring conflict. Normal human stuff, even among the neuro-diverse.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 2:43 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
...and not ask for the information I need to show consideration...

maybe because "there is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." ;o)

:lol: People have fascinating complexity.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 2:23 pm

Today I joined a discussion with two nice extravert persons I like and another one. We were 4, (usually 2 is already a challenge). I paid attention to listen to the 3 of them, tried to speak when my turn, not easy but I'm happy, was better then usual.

I tried a second discussion, I couldn't help letting out some sarcasm unfortunately, two laughed happily, one laughed hollowly... :oops:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 4:41 pm

Q: What did you do today to look less autistic?
A: three baskets of laundry at the laundromat
(but does it still count as 'less autistic' if I go at 2:00pm, 14:00, because there's often no one there at that time?) :lol:

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 11:41 am

I try and keep my "Talking to myself" as minimal as possible.

A big one is that I often show people that I am outspoken.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 3:56 pm

Today, I have made an effort to use a more self-assured tone of voice and breathe good while presenting at a meeting at work.

I also have also trained eye contact at the diner.

nerdgal001
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Apr 2017, 4:03 pm

I joined a " job club'' which is especially for neurotypical people. I took a number of someone from the group and Iam chit-chatting with him over text and I thought that was connecting socially.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 4:29 pm

The mechanics have not done what they said they would do. I rolled with it.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 1:50 pm

Today, I simply listened to the conversation, did not try to get involved.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 3:09 pm

Today, I forced myself to a one-hour-break during lunch time, sitting with colleagues, trying to simply do nothing and relax because to much stress caused me some meltdowns those last days.