Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 4:45 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
For example, poverty, discrimination, and broken homes do not explain firing a gun into a crowd just to get one person.

It does explain the disdain for life. If one grows up to know that they are worthless and unwanted, why not share the joy?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 5:15 pm

I'm split on this.

Part of me goes this way - he's endorsing Young Turks, that's all I need to know.

Part of me goes the other way - Hey, we're in the post-truth world now! He should go full-gusto and teach Dianetics! Sign students up for Sea Org!

Then again that second half of me is the same crude half that's inclined to make dead baby jokes now and then.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 7:39 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I'm split on this.

Part of me goes this way - he's endorsing Young Turks, that's all I need to know.

Part of me goes the other way - Hey, we're in the post-truth world now! He should go full-gusto and teach Dianetics! Sign students up for Sea Org!

Then again that second half of me is the same crude half that's inclined to make dead baby jokes now and then.

Glad to see a fellow lover of dark humor. :twisted:

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 5:23 am

androbot01 wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
For example, poverty, discrimination, and broken homes do not explain firing a gun into a crowd just to get one person.

It does explain the disdain for life. If one grows up to know that they are worthless and unwanted, why not share the joy?
I agree it does to a level. My dad who works in drug rehabilitation explained this. Poverty breaks families and by having someone grow up not receiving care and empathy it prevents them from developing emotionally. This can prevent someone from feeling care or compassion to someone.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 7:52 am

As with any sort of group dominated by the regressive left, individual thought is viewed as a threat because people that they view as morons, racists, and uncultured might get a say.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 3:44 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
As with any sort of group dominated by the regressive left, individual thought is viewed as a threat because people that they view as morons, racists, and uncultured might get a say.

True. I am getting a little worried about anyone who supports Trump's Muslim ban being labelled as racist.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 5:29 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

True. I am getting a little worried about anyone who supports Trump's Muslim ban being labelled as racist.

I am not a fan of his ban, but calling it racist to me is stupid. I think he is just bending over to his constituents. It annoys me when people think Islam is a race.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 8:20 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I am not a fan of his ban, but calling it racist to me is stupid. I think he is just bending over to his constituents. It annoys me when people think Islam is a race.

I think a bad level of discrimination is the impact but the thinking behind it I don't believe was racist.