Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2017, 3:33 am

Mind you, for years I used to consider myself to be an atheist. Still, one day, one fine day, I purchased a book, a strange little book, by one Mister Eric Zuesse. This was entitled, Why The Holocaust Happened. Of course, I thought it would strengthen me in my Secular Views of things. After all, it was designed to turn those of The Christian Religion away from their faith.

A Miracle: it had the paradoxical affect of making me more fascinated with religion than ever, Roman Catholic religion in particular. I am not quite sure what actually happened. Strange, how books sometimes have the opposite affect as intended. Mind you, I read his other books, but they were not quite as good, as that one.

:? Besides, not to be flippant or cute, it certainly does serve as a new form of Bible Study Guide, of sorts. I have begun to read through The Bible again, with more interest, using Eric Zuess's book. Mind you, I endeavored to implement a course on how to go through The Bible, in a Year, but, this-- I think-- would be much more interesting, in any event.
:D Well, I wonder: has any of the books you others have read had such a strange affect upon any of you? I would very much like to know. And besides, I am also reading Thomas Moore's Create Your Own Religion, which is really a very neat book, too. I wonder if any of the rest of you have ever heard of it, too?

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2017, 8:07 am

I encourage you to rethink the way you title your threads. What you're really asking for is books on religion, and maybe philosophy, that have influenced people. That's a very interesting subject, but people who are interested in it have no way of knowing that's what you're asking about based on the title of this thread. The people who do click on this thread are probably expecting a discussion on atheism, and they're getting something else, which will likely confuse them. I notice that you do this with other threads, too.

To answer your question, the book Hardcore Zen by Brad Warner had a big impact on me, and it got me into Soto Zen Buddhism.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2017, 9:12 am

TwinRuler wrote:
Mind you, for years I used to consider myself to be an atheist. Still, one day, one fine day, I purchased a book, a strange little book, by one Mister Eric Zuesse. This was entitled, Why The Holocaust Happened. Of course, I thought it would strengthen me in my Secular Views of things. After all, it was designed to turn those of The Christian Religion away from their faith.

How is 'Why The Holocaust Happened' something that turns Christians away from their faith?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 9:16 am

Amebix wrote:
I encourage you to rethink the way you title your threads. What you're really asking for is books on religion, and maybe philosophy, that have influenced people. That's a very interesting subject, but people who are interested in it have no way of knowing that's what you're asking about based on the title of this thread. The people who do click on this thread are probably expecting a discussion on atheism, and they're getting something else, which will likely confuse them. I notice that you do this with other threads, too.

To answer your question, the book Hardcore Zen by Brad Warner had a big impact on me, and it got me into Soto Zen Buddhism.

More specifically he is looking for "books that backfired" (persuaded you of the opposite of the books were arguing for).

Not a book, but a person was like that for me. A guy who freguented a certain website I used to frequent would argue for something, and inadvertently make it look awful, and vice versa.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Mar 2017, 2:52 pm

Thread retitled to avoid confusion.