Page 10 of 13 [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 10:05 pm

I used to think that all blood is based on haemoglobin. Octopus blood is based on copper, and is green. I'm amazed that we can eat each other, but I guess that's been going on since the divergence.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 2:22 am

I used to think that stupid people were not very dangerous.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 6:01 am

I used to imagine the cinema as only showing Mickey Mouse movies. I also used to think the screen was about a quarter of a mile long.
I didn't go to any cinemas until I was about 11, so I didn't know what it was like before then.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 9:24 am

Dear_one wrote:

How are they dangerous?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 9:29 am

Dear_one wrote:
I used to think that all blood is based on haemoglobin. Octopus blood is based on copper, and is green. I'm amazed that we can eat each other, but I guess that's been going on since the divergence.

You are amazed that octopi can eat humans, and that humans can eat octopi?And are "amazed" just because the two species have different colored blood? :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 9:31 am

League_Girl wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

How are they dangerous?

Well...imagine a person dumb enough to text while driving. And then imagine that person getting behind the wheel of a car, and then getting on the same road you are on.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 9:37 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
When I was a kid, I used to think that when someone was "fired" from work, it involved actual fire. I would be in tears, begging my father to not get fired every time he left for work until they explained to me that "fired" simply meant loosing your job.

I also used to think that ALL poodles were female and ALL bald eagles were male.

In my mother tongue "fired" is "getting kicked" and i thought that it involved getting kicked out a window after being laid off.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 11:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

You are amazed that octopi can eat humans, and that humans can eat octopi?And are "amazed" just because the two species have different colored blood? :lol:

We are, of course, good at digesting plants and fungi, but I don't know of any other food that requires us to pass much copper. I sure couldn't keep a scrap of aluminum foil down when I ate it accidentally.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 11:58 am

League_Girl wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

How are they dangerous?

In my experience, they become emotional and break both agreements and laws in wholesale fashion. They are also generally quite oblivious to logical proofs, leaving me nothing to count on. They even have a basic distrust of science, since so many smart liars pretend to be honest and helpful.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 12:03 pm

Yeah, but you dont eat bolts, screws, nor even iron filings either.

But that doesnt stop you from scarfing down rare hamburgers dripping in iron rich hemoglobin based cow blood!

And you might take iron pills too.Liver is rich in iron too.

And doesnt hemoglobin have some copper in it to assist the iron in grabbing oxygen? Thats what some substitute teacher told us back in junior high one day.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 12:28 pm

FandomConnection wrote:
I used to think that it is a part of social interaction to pretend that one is stupid. I did not realise that other children at school actually could not understand the things we were being taught, so I thought that all of them were pretending to be stupid all the time. So I pretended to be stupid too. I would say that I didn't know the answer to questions I did know, and avoid showing insight or precocious intellectual ability when talking to others.

I did this until I was about 9 years old, at which point I somehow realised that people did not routinely pretend to be stupid.
No way! I used to believe the exact same thing. Namely, that my classmates were pretending to be dumb as a way of looking cool. In other words, "not book-smart" = "cool". One kid tried to make me believe that Saturn's rings are made of plastic (!). I didn't believe him, because I "knew" he was lying to me to make himself look stupider than he actually was (read: extra-cool).

Other things I used to believe:

I used to believe that I was the kindest child to have ever existed in the history of humanity.

I used to believe that everybody was afraid of specific chandeliers in their home.

I used to believe that teaching was the easiest job in the world: just lecturing and giving grades.

I used to believe that I could survive living like a hobo/vagabond as a child.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 2:59 pm

I thought my mother was always right and everything she says was a fact. I was an adult when I realized not everything she says is true and they are just her opinions and that doesn't mean she is right. Plus parents tend to be bias about their own children so not everything they think of them is true. It was double standards I noticed between what she thought of me and other kids with behavior. While she wouldn't say I had behavior problems, she said that about other kids so why was I the exception? Plus her saying about other aspies was they only are concerned about who they hurt and how they act because they don't want to be rejected but she never said that about me and in fact she would always correct me when I would say my reasons about things. I realized at 17 she thought different of me because I'm her daughter and if I weren't her daughter she would have critical thoughts about me. So that made me take what she says as a grain of salt and not everything she says about me is true. I noticed the double standard and the pattern in her behavior that made me realize.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 1:24 pm

I used to think male cats can't have pink noses.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 1:29 pm

I used to believe that i was the only person who could think; others just did their thing.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 3:06 pm

I thought everyone was teasing me when they would say they don't like cake or Polly Pockets or anything I liked so I would keep on doing what I wanted to do and not listen to them when they would say they don't like this movie or like to read or like this or that I am into.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 3:10 pm

I used to think that if you were throwing a big dinner party, you could get a "public servant" to help.