BBC interview crashed by cute children sparks racism

Page 5 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

16 Mar 2017, 9:27 am

Feels like an overreaction, it's weird the things that get picked up on. I wouldn't of thought about this twice.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 9:49 am

Alliekit wrote:
I was confused why I should know about nanny's as a brit.

You were neither expected to, nor were you expected not to. I was alluding to the fact that there are long-standing stereotypes about British nannies that vary from place to place and by station. Depending on how well-versed you are in British Literature - both fiction and non-fiction - from various eras, how familiar you are with the traditional role of nannies in the middle and upper classes, how old you are, etc, perceptions of such things will vary hugely, even within a single town or city.

Quote:
It's not as if nanny's are common here (I am assuming we are referring to live in full time nanny's). I am also confused about the fact you seem to think that I am saying everyone who thought she was a nanny was wrong. On the contrary I am not suprised as we all hold subconscious prejuice and the papers reported her as a nanny.

I would also assume those who thought here a nanny believed her to be a live-in nanny, but *shrug*. I made no suggestion that you said everyone who thought she was a nanny was wrong, but your line about "only a family member" certain implies they are.

Quote:
My original point/joke was on the steretype of mum's being stressed and rushing around. I was not dismissing people who had thought she wasn't the mum nor was I saying it was obvious.

I understand you were initially making a joke. I was obviously responding to the later post.

Quote:
In my experience a person other than a family member would get into trouble so it was not an unreasonabe view point. However when it was reported that she was a nanny I didn't go "no way is she just a nanny" I just took it as it was reported so my single viewpoint was more flexible then you assume.

There was no assumption on my part, I merely accepted your opinion as it was presented. You're now informing me that it wasn't your intended meaning, which I'm content to accept.

Quote:
You also suggested that I suggested nannys could be close and loving which I didn't even mention or suggest at all. I was just referring to laws put in place for professionals who deal with children.

Similarly, I made no such suggestion. I asked if that was what informed your reasoning because you provided none. The question was posed to elicit further information, as you're the only one who can provide such on your opinions.

I do offer one criticism, and it is as follows: Considering your concern that your words might be twisted, you might do a better job of preserving the integrity of mine.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 9:50 am

Jacoby wrote:
Feels like an overreaction, it's weird the things that get picked up on. I wouldn't of thought about this twice.

But don't you see? That just makes you complicit!

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 7:56 pm

You know what they say, some people wake up every day to be offended.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 4:31 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
You know what they say, some people wake up every day to be offended.

:D Good one.