Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 9:11 pm

Time to have a field-day with this one. I will name one that is generally not discussed anywhere.
Not even here and, even if it is mentioned here, rarely has it historically gone very far. Topic ? Parapsychology.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 9:16 pm

I don't think parapsychology is taboo. I just don't believe in it.

Now.....something like incest...or adults advocating having sex with pre-pubescent people.....that's taboo!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 10:23 pm

It's not taboo here. However what I have seen in the past is that threads on it tend to be too polarised for any meaningful dialogue to occur. They quickly split into two camps - one camp posting blanket dismissive scepticism and ridiculing people who have a more open attitude to the possibility, and the other camp raising questions about how we can know experience that is not grounded in the material.

So they go nowhere and just end up upsetting the targets of the sceptics, while the latter group seem often unwilling to look more deeply at the usually shallow roots of their choices to be sceptical of any phenomena which is not based in the material world.

Scepticism and hardline materialism can be seen as a belief system, though sceptics tend to take the dogmatic view that "fact is fact and that is that" rather than discuss things at a more complex level. I would be delighted to see that complexity happen, but I wouldn't put money on the probability of it happening here, (not even ten cents).

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 8:23 am

The title of this thread got me all titillated over nothing.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 3:36 pm

It's not nothing. It's a re-creation of the original «Taboo Subjects» thread that was closed down due to being apparently too «taboo» for the «anti-woo» sentiment to be allowed to remain open for discussion...

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=229284
EzraS wrote:
The title of this thread got me all titillated over nothing.
I will just quote how she started the thread...
PsychoSarah wrote:
you know that stuff that people don't like being brought up. Abortion, stem cells, etc. This is the place that welcomes it all. Go nuts!
P.S.: Incest is best - it's FUN for the WHOLE FAMILY ! ;)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 3:52 pm

Making jokes about incest is creepy. Incest is not a banned topic, but posting offensive comments is unacceptable on Wrong Planet. Please consider the feelings of others who have survived abuse. You have crossed the line with your sick joke.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 4:03 pm

Incest is exploitation, period. It's worse than "white slavery."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 4:11 pm

The OP is so desperate for attention that in this thread he resorted to false advertising!

Parapsychology is not in any sense a "taboo" subject on WP. If you wanna start a thread about it then go right ahead. But it would help if you made it about some specific aspect of parapsychology.

I do admit that there were two long time members of WP who would make it their business to pounce on anyone who mentioned parapsychology. Both of those members seem to have left WP.But even when they were here it was not really a "taboo" subject.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 5:10 pm

I think if anyone's really shown courage here in posting a topic, especially considering this is an autism forum, my nomination for the OP valor award would go to androbot01 for 'Good Genes: An Argument for Eugenics'.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 5:40 pm

Yep....that did take courage.

I just don't believe in eugenics, period.

Eugenics can be offensive---but discussing it isn't.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 5:44 pm

CATS VS DOGS

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 4:02 am

That «comment» came from a «meme» and has nothing to do with rape but is more of a «hill-billies» reference. I once remember, hearing on the radio when I used to listen to radio-stations, a comedy segment about red-neck/hill-billy dating services. One of the «testimonials» that was «played» was one of those hill-billies boys speaking in his goofy hill-billy dialect saying...: «Woooooooooow! Yer evun hawtur then mah CUZin...»

The fact that you even misinterpreted it as a joke about abuse also actually came across to me as verbal-abuse and I also find it offensive that the context of what I was referring to was taken out-of-context to make me sound like a bad guy, when I am not the one paying the wages nor funding the coffers of the lawless, pedophilia-filled, politicians and other criminals who run the government-systems, plus it is insensitive to act like I have not myself been abused. Not only have I been abused by parents, been abused by step-parents, been abused by lawless police (because police are always the biggest criminal gang in town), abused by relatives, abused by bullies at various schools, abused for having any interest in conspiracy theories, abused for simply trying to do a good deed for a town by attempting to clean up one of its abandoned buildings and was forced to be locked in in jail for over a full month even throughout two major holidays (this includes both Christmas and New Year's day) and that forced me to miss a birthday party of one of our community members (because cops are nothing but a bunch of liars and thieving criminals), abused by the lawlessness of the judges, how about you take your own advice and consider whether your statements about another's statements or comments might come across as hypocritical.

Now if we really wanted to get into the «taboo» topic of «sick jokes» I remember one day in a chat-room of an IRC-game that people used to play where one of the players, for whatever reason, made references to dead baby jokes, things like «The doctor threw the baby against the wall and, when the mother screamed at him, the doctor said : "Joke's on you; the baby was already dead!"» ...just to name an example of a truly deranged mentality.

Anyway, I was referring to voluntary and consensual incest, and I find it quite a hypocrisy that it is looked down upon as sick when, simultaneously, the so-called LGBT/etc gets promoted, when it was once extremely taboo in society, not to mention the fact that nearly ALL «royal families» throughout all of history have had a history of incestual-relationships for whatever strange cult-ish religious beliefs that they had about keeping pure blood-lines.

B19 wrote:
Making jokes about incest is creepy. Incest is not a banned topic, but posting offensive comments is unacceptable on Wrong Planet. Please consider the feelings of others who have survived abuse. You have crossed the line with your sick joke.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Incest is exploitation, period. It's worse than "white slavery."

Try convincing that to the Royal Families of the world who do it to preserve blood-lines.
naturalplastic wrote:
The OP is so desperate for attention that in this thread he resorted to false advertising!

Parapsychology is not in any sense a "taboo" subject on WP. If you wanna start a thread about it then go right ahead. But it would help if you made it about some specific aspect of parapsychology.

I do admit that there were two long time members of WP who would make it their business to pounce on anyone who mentioned parapsychology. Both of those members seem to have left WP.But even when they were here it was not really a "taboo" subject.

Oh, it's YOU again; why am I not surprised at your condescending tone and inaccurate interpretations. Whilst para-psychology may no longer be a taboo-subject in the modern-day, para-psychology was most certainly a taboo subject prior to five years ago, and IS still taboo in certain sub-fields/sub-cultures.
The reality of para-psychology as a once-taboo topic is simply passing past the 2nd stage but, reference those who would pounce upon anybody who made any mention of para-psychology, that was because they were «James Randi» fans who may have potentially also been CIA-operatives who were «gate-keepers» against any questioning of status-quo.

Whilst there is a great deal of freedom-of-expression and being able to discuss a wide variety of topics here, for the vast majority of the rest of the world it is still taboo and ostracised to mention certain topics, and I am in what must be one of the dumbest town populations in all of the U.S. where ALL of the government employees here have a BLIND trust of everything that they see on CNN. Merely mentioning to the police department clerk one day that the «news» is «corporate-controlled» got her screaming and yelling at me to get «Out! OUT! OUT!! !!

Imagine how this town's PIGs (Persons who Intend to Perjure their oaths) would react if I went about creating DVDs and CDs of this following clip and dropping them off at EVERY household that has an American flag hoisted up in full display (not to mention the fact that all of these idiots actually seem to support their LAWLESS PIGS)...
And in other «taboo» categories, depending on whom the subject is being brought before, includes things like talk about how Michelle Obama is/was actually a MAN, how The Holocaust was greatly exaggerated as the world's worst atrocity to have ever occurred in all of history (because it was exaggerated, and there are far worse atrocities that have happened, and there are also now current atrocities that are far worse than everything that happened between WWI and WWII combined), how the moon-landing footage was faked/staged/fabricated (even though, according to Dr. Steven Greer, Americans did land on the moon, just that the «public footage» was falsified due to «alien presences» being on the moon in the «real» footage), let us not forget how much of a mud-slinging fest it becomes to try discussing «flat-earth 'evidence'» anywhere you find populations full of mainstream-believers or statists...

Anyway, the people living in my town are some of the DUMBEST people in the U.S., all CONCENTRATED into a small town (although I could probably say that it was true of the ENTIRE state here), people who are automatically «well if you don't LOVE it here then GET OUT OF THE COUNTRY!» like a bunch of spoiled brats who need to hear in response «if YOU don't LOVE MY 'freedom-of-speech' to be able to speak TRUTH around here then YOU get out of the country! You FREEDOM-HATING COMMUNIST/FASCIST!! !»

I know I got a bunch more things I can bring up that ARE regarded as taboo in certain segments or even large segments of society but as I have very limited time these days I need finish this post for now.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 9:19 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think if anyone's really shown courage here in posting a topic, especially considering this is an autism forum, my nomination for the OP valor award would go to androbot01 for 'Good Genes: An Argument for Eugenics'.

I think it is a topic that needs to be discussed. Most pregnancies of Down's syndrome babies are terminated once the abnormality is discovered. I think it will be the same for autistic people when genetic testing becomes available. Talk of encouraging acceptance will be moot then.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 9:58 am

Autism comes in all shapes and sizes, and has many causes. Autism does not guarantee failure in life (neither does Down Syndrome, by the way).

The type of thing that's done with Down Syndrome will not (and should not) be possible with autism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 10:00 am

As for incest and "royal families":

Why do you think many products of these incestuous unions didn't turn out so well, to say the least?

It's the ole "inbreeding" thing.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 10:24 am

I made a topic about pedophilia on WP.

Some people are baby-pedophiles and have an attraction to children under the age of 2.