Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Eliasandjonasmom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2017, 1:44 pm

Has anyone had improvement of anxiety and or autistic traits you want to fine tune by supplementing magnesium? I'd like to hear if it worked for you and if it didn't or even if it made things worse. No judging. Thanks in advance : )

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2017, 1:53 pm

No difference in my experience. The only things that work for me, counting what currently works and what worked when I was a student, are caffeine, some plants (like hawthorn) and prescription drugs. Beware of food supplements like magnesium because in excess, they can trigger kidney stones so they aren't very good if there isn't a diagnosed deficiency. And this even more if you have a family history of kidney stones, because that means a higher chance to suffer from them due to genetics.

Eliasandjonasmom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2017, 2:12 pm

Good to know, my dad and hubby have had stones and I'm asking for my son. Definitely something to keep in the back of my mind. Although wouldn't an improvement in this area brought on by the supplement indicate there was a deficiency? Best to have it checked professionally I'm sure.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2017, 2:33 pm

I think this isn't a bad thing to do a blood test to check once a year even with an apparently healthy child because sometimes there are surprises. Some kinds of nutrient deficiencies are very common even in western countries, like iron, vitamin C and vitamin D for example, even with a balanced diet it can happen.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 3:17 pm

The first sign you are on too much magnesium is loose stools or diarrhea. If your kiddo is constipated, it's a great idea, as long as he/she is getting enough water. Dehydration is the first reason that someone gets constipated and if you use magnesium instead of water bad things happen. Kidney stones is one example.

I use magnesium sometimes, but I really feel like it's mostly placebo. It's supposed to relax you. I don't notice anything distinct. It's definately not a treatment for autism. That's kind of laughable. But Natural Calm is taken in a big glass of water, and the way I see things, anything that gets you to pause and take a big glass of water while you are upset is going to help you calm down. So, I put this remedy in the probably not effective, but usually harmless category. If it feels empowering to you to use it, do so.

Eliasandjonasmom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2017, 3:25 pm

Ty, trust me I've completely accepted there is no cure, but sometimes if there is some kind of natural aid that's less abrasive concerning side effects than meds and that might help some, I do some reasearch : )

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 8:07 am

Eliasandjonasmom wrote:
Has anyone had improvement of anxiety and or autistic traits you want to fine tune by supplementing magnesium? I'd like to hear if it worked for you and if it didn't or even if it made things worse. No judging. Thanks in advance : )

I have taken magnesium, but for another purpose (not for anxiety purpose). I would say the effect is almost immediate, it has a very mild but very certain calming effect. It can't possibly make things worse. Google a bit and you will see that almost everybody that have used magnesium have only positive opinion about it. That being said, I think the amount recommended out there far exceeds what's necessary. Your body actually can detect and make use of a very small amount of extra magnesium. It does not appear to introduce "dependency" problems, so you can actually be on and off at will. I am not a drug- or supplement-recommending person. Nowadays I don't take magnesium supplement anymore (when I took them, I bought the capsule type, opened the capsule, and used only a tiny part of the powder inside the capsule. One capsule would last almost one entire week for me. But as I said, I wasn't using it for anxiety issues. I used the magnesium citrate form. You might want to try 75mg up to 150mg the first time, to judge the effect. Take it with food or liquid. Then you can reduce it accordingly. Some people take way more than 150mg per day. But as for me, my body was able to detect and make use of amounts around 20mg per day or even lower. Caution: when you take too much magnesium, it may cause running bowels. I think most people say your body later will adjust itself and get used to whatever amount you take.) Magnesium is one of the safest supplements to try, think of it as similar calcium supplement (they both are alkaline earth metals on the periodic table), but with a "calming" effect.

That all being said, people make anxiety into a larger issue than it really is. Take a look at an article that I have written (and mentioned many times in this forum). You use a digital voice recorder to connect your good and bad moments, and that's the end of all anxiety issues. http://www.eikonabridge.com/anxiety.pdf

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 8:09 am

sorry, clicked twice...

Eliasandjonasmom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2017, 8:14 am

Ty

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 9:06 am

You are welcome. Oh, I wanted to add that in my case I took magnesium for a biological purpose. It was 100% not a placebo effect. My body really noticed the difference.

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2017, 7:24 pm

I used to take it before bed to help me relax. It helped, but it made my already vivid dreams, very vivid. A little goes a long way with that stuff.