Bob Wright focusing on Pancreatic Cancer

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 1:05 am

After losing wife, former NBC head tackles pancreatic cancer

Quote:
He launched the Suzanne Wright Foundation in November and aims to raise $3 million to boost public awareness about the disease.

His pitch: Over the past half-century, researchers and doctors have made no progress in detecting and treating pancreatic cancer. For the 50,000 Americans who are diagnosed with the disease every year, pancreatic cancer amounts to a death sentence.
“There’s no sense of urgency,” Wright said. “It’s an emergency, and it’s being treated as a science project.”
Even as survival rates for breast, prostate and colorectal cancer have soared in recent decades, the survival rate for pancreatic cancer has stayed at just 9 percent, which Wright considers an unacceptable performance by the scientific community.
“They’ve failed every class every year,” Wright said last week during an event at his home on Palm Beach’s north end.

I wish him well with this endeavor

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 3:19 pm

pancreatic cancer is an absolute b***h to study. The symptoms are so general people are never diagnosed until its too late. There is a sense of urgency though he is wrong about that, I know good men and women working tirelessly to discover a biomarker for pancreatic cancer. Its really difficult to get hold of samples though.

Also inflammation causes pancreatic cancer in particular to spread (metastasise) before a tumour is even properly formed. It is the worst cancer to get other than maybe a glioma