What makes someone unattractive?

Page 8 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 10:29 am

sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
If your friends/family say that you're not ugly, they are telling you the truth.

Oh come on kraft most people lie to spare feelings.

If you think that's true you should meet my grandmother :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 10:45 am

I don't think you're ugly. No BS.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 2:12 pm

Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Hey guys can we try and keep it linked to the op and not about our own personal hates? There is already a similar post about personal taste of what makes someone unattractive :)
I think it allows people to get an idea of what is considered attractive unattractive. Maybe if people discuss, they might find that they have many things in common. I don't know but that could help us figure out what is considered unattractive in many people's eyes.

There is already another thread about that though and I don't want this one closed because there are 2 exactly the same.
Conversations flow man. And heck this is kind of relevant. I think...

Why do you think it matters just wondering?

The thing is that personal taste is just that personal taste. If someone came on here and took every persons dislikes and tried to fit into it they would fail miserably.

I want to talk about the scientifically suggested traits majority find unatractive in the hopes it may help some.

I'm not saying it's personal tastes aren't important just that there is already another place discussing that and it's a pretty talked about thing. It will eventually turn into a "well why don't you like that" thing I think.

I can find and put a link to the other post if you want?
The way I personally see it is that we are still trying to figure things out. For that reason discussing personal tastes might be useful, it allows people to talk about them and see if it applies to the majority of people.

Imagine you had a thread dominated by big cynics like Face of Boo, who profess to know what the majority is like, you wouldn't get any kind of alternative viewpoint. And heck maybe those who will get into relationships with aspies are in the minority so finding out what they like can be a good thing.

palmtoka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2017, 9:06 pm

If you would prefer this thread to be scientific, you could have explained that in the original post to begin with.
Talking about personal tastes on what makes someone unattractive, still follows the thread title and what is meant to be discussed on the thread IMO.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 1:36 am

Alliekit wrote:
Hey guys can we try and keep it linked to the op and not about our own personal hates? There is already a similar post about personal taste of what makes someone unattractive :)

What the article says does make sense, however I think some of the studies are not particularly good.

Quote:
Being mean

Do nice guys really finish last?

For a 2014 Chinese study, researchers had men and women look at photos of other people, all displaying neutral expressions.

Some of those photos were accompanied by the Chinese words for "decent" and honest." Some were accompanied by the Chinese words for "evil" and "mean." Others weren't accompanied by any information.

Participants rated people as least attractive when they were described as evil and mean.

For example this is not really surprising and while it says something about what people want or don't want in a relationship it says little about who has how good chances to get into a relationship.
After all, people with bad personalities don't exactly have 'evil' printed onto their foreheads in real life. Sure some kinds of evil or mean
are easily recognizable and some people will be avoided by others because they seem evil but a lot of people with bad personalities know how they come across and know how to pretend. There obviously are many things in between being a 'good' person and a 'bad' person. So just because the participants don't like people that get attributed with the word 'evil' doesn't say much about what of the many things in between they prefer irl.
Still, people who claim that only the bullies of their own gender get girlfriends/boyfriends and the nice guys/girls don't are obviously wrong. If they can't get a girlfriend/boyfriend it's usually neither because the opposite gender has a preference for bullies and idiots nor because they are nice (if they are) but because something else about them mightn't be that attractive.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 1:44 am

I'm not saying this one isn't true but for me personally it isn't:

Quote:
Looking too happy or too proud

While happiness is generally considered attractive on women, they often don't go for guys who appear overly smiley.

By contrast, while pride is typically thought of as attractive on men, guys don't seem to prefer women who look proud.

In 2011, researchers from the University of British Columbia conducted experiments with more than 1,000 adults in North America, showing them photographs of members of the opposite sex and asking them how attractive the people in the photos were.

Results showed that men rated women most attractive when they looked happy and least attractive when they displayed pride. Women, on the other hand, rated men most attractive when they displayed pride and least attractive when they looked happy.

It's unclear, however, whether these findings on attractiveness apply across cultures. In a statement, the researchers said the results probably reflected traditional Western values and gender norms — for example, the idea that a man should look "strong" and "silent" and a woman should look "submissive and vulnerable."

Actually I think it's quite off putting if someone never smiles and, while confidence is a good thing, excessive display of pride isn't.
But maybe I prefer men who smile frequently because I might have difficulties seeing small nuances in people's facial expressions and I often get the impression that I am bothering or boring the other person or that they simply dislike me if they never smile.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 1:47 am

i think the most unattractive people are those who are conceited and believe they are better than everyone else.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 2:20 am

^ agreed.

i don't react well to anything i perceive to be "highhorsing"...moral or otherwise.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 2:49 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
^ agreed.

i don't react well to anything i perceive to be "highhorsing"...moral or otherwise.

Oh cool its Tsar Nicki.

Maybe that could be the case. I have certainly seen a share of very arrogant people be turned down.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 2:53 am

i also do not have much time for people who are easily humiliated by me because it indicates that they think i have a judgemental mind which is incorrect, and if they retreat in some sort of agony which is designed to solicit "guilt" from me, then i think they are trying to rob me of emotions i do not have........heh....not well said but whatever.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:01 am

Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
I think it allows people to get an idea of what is considered attractive unattractive. Maybe if people discuss, they might find that they have many things in common. I don't know but that could help us figure out what is considered unattractive in many people's eyes.

There is already another thread about that though and I don't want this one closed because there are 2 exactly the same.

The thing is that personal taste is just that personal taste. If someone came on here and took every persons dislikes and tried to fit into it they would fail miserably.

I want to talk about the scientifically suggested traits majority find unatractive in the hopes it may help some.

I'm not saying it's personal tastes aren't important just that there is already another place discussing that and it's a pretty talked about thing. It will eventually turn into a "well why don't you like that" thing I think.

The way I personally see it is that we are still trying to figure things out. For that reason discussing personal tastes might be useful, it allows people to talk about them and see if it applies to the majority of people.

Imagine you had a thread dominated by big cynics like Face of Boo, who profess to know what the majority is like, you wouldn't get any kind of alternative viewpoint. And heck maybe those who will get into relationships with aspies are in the minority so finding out what they like can be a good thing.

Fair enough but If my thread is exactly the same as the other won't it get close for a double post or something?

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:05 am

palmtoka wrote:
If you would prefer this thread to be scientific, you could have explained that in the original post to begin with.
Talking about personal tastes on what makes someone unattractive, still follows the thread title and what is meant to be discussed on the thread IMO.

I'm only bothered about looking like I've copied the other thread. Do you always explain yourself perfectly?

why are people acting like I'm trying to stop them talking because I have some issue with what they are talking about :(

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:08 am

b9 wrote:
i also do not have much time for people who are easily humiliated by me because it indicates that they think i have a judgemental mind which is incorrect, and if they retreat in some sort of agony which is designed to solicit "guilt" from me, then i think they are trying to rob me of emotions i do not have........heh....not well said but whatever.

Why are people humilated by you as opposed to just embarassed? Humilated suggests you are doing something to make them feel that way but Im assuming I am wrong

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:10 am

Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

Fair enough but If my thread is exactly the same as the other won't it get close for a double post or something?

No I don't think so and besides that discussion might get revived for later.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:14 am

Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

Fair enough but If my thread is exactly the jsame as the other won't it get close for a double post or something?

That was my main concern I do understand personal taste can be important to I was never disagreeing with you about that. Was just trying to distinguish this post from the other.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:18 am

Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

Fair enough but If my thread is exactly the jsame as the other won't it get close for a double post or something?

That was my main concern I do understand personal taste can be important to I was never disagreeing with you about that. Was just trying to distinguish this post from the other.

Well you must have found your thread quite interesting. What kinds of things did you talk about?