9th grader has meltdown at HS, faces criminal charges.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 9:49 am

This is a case illustrating why I don't approve of criminalizing school discipline by assigning police to schools:
http://www.orangeobserver.com/article/w ... r-incident

More persective from the student/parents side (it's a fundraiser page, but contains an extensive write up of the incident)
https://fundrazr.com/Ashton2124

Quote:
On March 2nd, 2017 our son attempted to leave the classroom as it had become too loud and out of control. The substitue teacher was not controlling the kids which often is the case when the real teacher is gone. His 504 behavioral plan allows for him to leave when needed, however, the Orange County district has a rule in place that they do NOT tell substitutes of the students who have disabilities due to privacy reasons. The sub denied him this right. He grabbed my son's hand and things turned bad from there. My son, as is the case with many kids on the Autism Spectrum, hates to be touched. He yelled at the teacher who then yelled back and called for backup. The very aggresive Vice Principal came to the classroom in a way that wouldn't de-escalate anything. The resource office called us immediately so that we could come down and calm him down. My son kept yelling at them to leave him alone and let him cool down. While we were on the way they proceeded to try and forcibly remove him from the classroom. The SRO grabbed him by the arm and was yanking him out of the desk when the VP came from behind and grabbed my son by the neck. My son did not know who was behind him and turned around swinging as he was very very frightened. When contact was made on the VP, who is twice my little 14 year old's size, the VP punched my son in the face and the chest. You can see the bruising on his face. Before we could get there they pepper sprayed my son and took him down to the ground leaving a good sized gash on his forehead. He was then arrested and charged with 5 counts including resisting arrest w/o violence, assaulting a police officer, assualting a teacher/government employee, disturbing the peace, and battery on a school employee. He spent two days in juvenile detention until I finally got him out.

I also noted the weasel words in the "OCPS" sidebar in the main article (my bolding):

Quote:
1. Specifically, what are teachers trained to do when handling a child with behavioral disorders, (such as autism), who get an emotional or violent outburst?
"All teachers can receive training through OCPS in an international training program that specializes in the safe management of disruptive and assaultive behavior called Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI).

Quote:
2. What is done to ensure all teachers and staff are aware of how to properly handle those delicate situations involving autistic children so that no one gets hurt?
"The district offers all staff the availability of a two-day training and yearly re-certification process in Crisis Prevention Intervention, which addresses verbal de-escalation strategies, as well as, crisis intervention techniques.

So they can receiving traing and are offered two-day training, but might not have any training at all.

Nightmare situation.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 11:02 am

I agree that the police presence in schools is a big problem. There is no way that this does not escalate problems that could have been handled a better way. It contributes heavily to the school-to-prison pipeline and I doubt it makes any of the kids feel safer. I think it is there for teachers and admins.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 5:11 pm

All this could have been avoided if the sub just let him leave class or if she just controlled the volume in it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 5:56 pm

That is a bunch of B.S, they physically assaulted the child and hes the one who gets charged?

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 7:09 pm

[sarcasm] Of course, kids are deceitful, and adults are always right.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 11:47 pm

The sub should have just let him leave the classroom. Simple and easy.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 1:45 am

school(management) will try to put the blame elsewhere, for any financial or legal responsability,
and that's supposed to be educative ?

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 8:42 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

What my DD's middle school does is the all the rest of the students evacuate the room, leaving the kid alone with the teacher outside the doorway. The principal (and whoever) deals with the kid without everyone present.

This works to their advantage too. The other kids come home and tell their parents how Biff got angry and everyone had to leave the room. This gets fired up to district and starts the paper trail to have the disruptive kid placed in an alternative education setting.

At least for middle school, a "disruptive" teen is never allowed to leave alone due to liability reasons. If the sub worked in my district, all he could do is call for administration and wait for them to show up.

As for the charges (my district), the teen would be minimum expulsion for the rest of the school year. The charges are for workman comp claims. If someone says this kid "caused a injury", all the medical gets funneled under workman's compensation.

This teen had been on the school's radar for a while. I'm sure there is a huge paper trail, and filing the charges helps get him removed from the school. Whether they stick or not doesn't really matter, most likely he won't be going back to that high school.

Florida has a zero tolerance policy on this type of stuff. My friend through a similar mess with her high school age mentally ill teen. Changes were filed to help speed up removing her teen from the school.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 10:13 am

248RPA wrote:
[sarcasm] Of course, kids are deceitful, and adults are always right.

Yer damn straight! ASD is no excuse for the brat to act that way. Let'em rot in jail!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 11:11 pm

Tawaki wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

What my DD's middle school does is the all the rest of the students evacuate the room, leaving the kid alone with the teacher outside the doorway. The principal (and whoever) deals with the kid without everyone present.

This works to their advantage too. The other kids come home and tell their parents how Biff got angry and everyone had to leave the room. This gets fired up to district and starts the paper trail to have the disruptive kid placed in an alternative education setting.

At least for middle school, a "disruptive" teen is never allowed to leave alone due to liability reasons. If the sub worked in my district, all he could do is call for administration and wait for them to show up.

As for the charges (my district), the teen would be minimum expulsion for the rest of the school year. The charges are for workman comp claims. If someone says this kid "caused a injury", all the medical gets funneled under workman's compensation.

This teen had been on the school's radar for a while. I'm sure there is a huge paper trail, and filing the charges helps get him removed from the school. Whether they stick or not doesn't really matter, most likely he won't be going back to that high school.

Florida has a zero tolerance policy on this type of stuff. My friend through a similar mess with her high school age mentally ill teen. Changes were filed to help speed up removing her teen from the school.

Off topic here, my son was telling me about a violent kid in his class and he told me how he made other kids go to the hospital because he broke their bones and he said other things and I didn't take him seriously because he didn't seem frightened or scared and he seemed happy like this was all funny. Plus if kids had to go to the hospital, they would have left school and not be back and there would have been less kids that day in his class when I picked him up. I told him I would talk to his teacher about it the next day about this violent boy and he goes "I was just joking" and then I scolded him about it because it wasn't funny. You don't joke about these things.

If there was actually a violent kid in my class, I would be complaining to the school principal and to the school district and threatening to remove my son from school and putting him in a different school for his safety or keeping him out of school and only have him do his school work at home and I will bring it to school and pick up his other work. That is why I scolded my son because you don't make jokes like that. I told him what if I started threatening the school to get rid of that boy or else I will take him out, he would have gotten that poor boy into trouble because of his joke.

I don't take kindly to violence so if I hear any kid that is violent, I have a hard time feeling sympathy if they are that dangerous and I think good riddance if they are locked away or killed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.