staying on SSI for the rest of my life. any experience?

Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2017, 5:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Original Poster is only 21; he has his whole life ahead of him.

It's possible that he might come to the realization that the "SSI" life doesn't cut it--that he wants more than that.

well in all honesty,
For me, it's either SSI or death (if i become homeless i would not survive as i explained earlier)
both are fine with me, but i really prefer the SSI option. but nothing else.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 12:32 pm

I've been on ssi since I was 19 and recently got off of it. After a while it gets boring not working and people treat you like a piece of s**t loser. You only get $700 a month which is barely enough to survive on, so it's not like you can buy nice things. You will not be "living the life" and people will hate you for living off their taxes especially with an invisible disability. Trust me, you WILL be thought of as a loser, especially as you age.

It's better to go to school and get a job that you can handle that interests you while you're young. Youth is highly valued in this society. So you should do it before you turn into an old washed up loser because eventually you will want to move up in life. No offense.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 1:37 pm

http://stateofopportunity.michiganradio ... sabilities
Difference in how people are treated--physical vs emotional disabilities.

Most NTs will treat you better if you roll around looking like Stephen Hawking. Most NTs are impressed if you look like Stephen Hawking and have any sort of meaningful employment.

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2017, 9:22 am

Most all states have vocational rehab that you will qualify for, they can help you find and keep a job that is within your ablities. They will help you work on ways to cope and keep said job. I go thru my states vo-rehab to help keep my job and cope with the stresses involved with working full time. Keep in mind, most income based housing sucks, you will be around people doing all kinds of bad stuff(even though that isnt supposed to happen there). Getting somewhere in the southern part of the USA is a good idea, no winter weather to deal with, you could ride a bicycle or a scooter year round. I would love that myself. I much rather ride my 250cc Honda scooter than deal with driving my pickup truck. Mike

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

23 Jul 2017, 4:45 am

artfulldodger wrote:
Most all states have vocational rehab that you will qualify for, they can help you find and keep a job that is within your ablities. They will help you work on ways to cope and keep said job. I go thru my states vo-rehab to help keep my job and cope with the stresses involved with working full time. Keep in mind, most income based housing sucks, you will be around people doing all kinds of bad stuff(even though that isnt supposed to happen there). Getting somewhere in the southern part of the USA is a good idea, no winter weather to deal with, you could ride a bicycle or a scooter year round. I would love that myself. I much rather ride my 250cc Honda scooter than deal with driving my pickup truck. Mike

I DON'T WANT TO GET A JOB! EVER!! !!

i hate society and hate the world and don't want to contribute anything to it.

i just want to be on SSI

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2018, 5:30 pm

This_Amoeba wrote:
I've been on ssi since I was 19 and recently got off of it. After a while it gets boring not working and people treat you like a piece of s**t loser.

i don't care how people treat me, because i'm able to put them right into their place. And i know for a fact i am not a s**t loser.

This_Amoeba wrote:
You only get $700 a month which is barely enough to survive on, so it's not like you can buy nice things. You will not be "living the life" and

the answers i received on this thread tells me quite differently: http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=352700
& that seems like enough for me under the proper circumstances...

This_Amoeba wrote:
people will hate you for living off their taxes especially with an invisible disability. Trust me, you WILL be thought of as a loser, especially as you age.

i don't care if people hate me. i actually would be proud of that (beauty of having autism). and i would tell all of them to kiss my A$$ so it'll take MUCH more than that -_- i don't like people anyway.

This_Amoeba wrote:
It's better to go to school and get a job that you can handle that interests you while you're young.

No way in hell i'll ever do that again!

This_Amoeba wrote:
Youth is highly valued in this society. So you should do it before you turn into an old washed up loser because eventually you will want to move up in life. No offense.

my type 1 diabetes will kill me off Lonng before i make it to that. and i really don't give a s**t. i hate society and i'll stick my middle fingers in all of their faces.

not trying to bash anyone or start an argument i'm just being honest about everything.

so i'll be just fine.

Disconaut
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2018, 2:12 pm

IMO, having been on disability for five years, is that it's not worth it as a long term solution. Working is hard and stressful, but it gives you the freedom to spend your money as you see fit, not to mention you make way more money by working. I honestly can't wait until I can get off disability, two more semesters now...

Disconaut
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2018, 2:16 pm

This_Amoeba wrote:
I've been on ssi since I was 19 and recently got off of it. After a while it gets boring not working and people treat you like a piece of s**t loser. You only get $700 a month which is barely enough to survive on, so it's not like you can buy nice things. You will not be "living the life" and people will hate you for living off their taxes especially with an invisible disability. Trust me, you WILL be thought of as a loser, especially as you age.

It's better to go to school and get a job that you can handle that interests you while you're young. Youth is highly valued in this society. So you should do it before you turn into an old washed up loser because eventually you will want to move up in life. No offense.

I agree 1000%. OP may not like to hear it, but life never came with a "this is easy" guarentee.
Anything worth having is not easily achieved.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2018, 5:23 am

Disconaut wrote:
This_Amoeba wrote:

I agree 1000%. OP may not like to hear it, but life never came with a "this is easy" guarentee.

So you think I should kill myself instead? -_-
is that what you're all trying to tell me? -_-

I'm definitely not going to take your word for that, because I don't believe a single thing you guys are saying but it's REALLY pissing me off that you all are seriously trying to convince me to do that...

Disconaut
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2018, 8:42 am

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube wrote:
Disconaut wrote:
This_Amoeba wrote:

So you think I should kill myself instead? -_-
is that what you're all trying to tell me? -_-

I'm definitely not going to take your word for that, because I don't believe a single thing you guys are saying but it's REALLY pissing me off that you all are seriously trying to convince me to do that...

No one is saying that, at all. I also have BPD and possibly ASD (ASD is the diagnosis, but is now being contested as actually being bad ADHD). Trust me, I get it when you say work is overwhelming. My BPD makes me want to bawl just hearing in-store love music. But that's what mindfulness and DBT is for.

As for ASD and diabetes, I was actually good friends with a guy in college who had both as well. In his words, "I'm stronger than some failed proteins, I will not let this be the thing that kills me. I control diabetes, it doesn't control me." Now, he is working full time with his own website design business (that has him living quite well, I think he's making around 80K a year).

Basically, my point is that life is hard. Every single person, whether they are NT or have ASD, is dealt a set of life challenges. Only very few get born into the kind of life where everything is easy - and honestly, those are the unluckiest ones. But its up to you to make the best of it and change your circumstance.

Again, its very hard to do. But I wouldn't be suggesting it if I didn't think it were possible. Think about jobs where you work from home where its less overwhelming, or think of businesses you can start and be your own boss. Just take some time and think about your strengths, weaknesses, and talents, and work with those. "Start where you are" is something I've heard a lot. Take baby steps and reward yourself when you've made progress, even if its small.

I dunno man, its up to you, but I'm telling you that life has more to offer than ~700$/month, and you aren't banned from these opportunities because of any of your medical conditions.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2018, 8:46 am

i dont care. i can't hold a job at all. i already tried that. and im not even ashamed of it at all either.
you guys do not know for sure weather or not my life will be good on ssi
we all have different needs and 700$ definitely sounds like enough for me.

if only you all knew the f***ed up stuff ive been through....

the choices for me are ssi or death

and in all honesty BOTH are fine with me... but i'd honestly prefer ssi first.

lionsfan99
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Apr 2018, 8:28 pm

Have you heard any updates? and don;t listen to people saying you have to work if you don't feel like you can im in same boat I just don't talk to people that think I an work anymore try to save myself all the criticism its hard to understand unless you are open minded or have been thru it yourself.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2018, 7:18 pm

lionsfan99 wrote:
Have you heard any updates? and don;t listen to people saying you have to work if you don't feel like you can im in same boat I just don't talk to people that think I an work anymore try to save myself all the criticism its hard to understand unless you are open minded or have been thru it yourself.

i actually haven't heard any updates back from my ssi lawyers yet. I applied way back in May of 2016 and still waiting for it. It takes forever.

and yeah, I don't listen to the people on this forum who upset me. there's enough negativity in my life.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

20 Apr 2018, 6:37 am

i'll also admit, a lot of people replying to this thread have said some helpfull stuff.

But quite a few other people who replied to this thread REALLY pisses me off... (This_Amoeba, Disconaut, burnt_orange to be specific).

It just goes to show you that no case of mental illness is similar and even Autistic people can't really understand each other most of the time.. But whatever.

I really shouldn't get so angry about people who disagree with me, it doesn't make them correct at all. it's nothing but opinions.

Psychostic800
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2018, 8:16 am

I actually get SSI for my Asperger Syndrome, and take it from me you may think you can live on that much money but it becomes very hard to make that money last I almost always run out a week before the next pay.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2018, 6:08 am

Psychostic800 wrote:
I actually get SSI for my Asperger Syndrome, and take it from me you may think you can live on that much money but it becomes very hard to make that money last I almost always run out a week before the next pay.

depends on the circumstances honestly and ur expenses (which could be completely different from mine)

All I need is a place to live, internet, and bus passes every now and then.