staying on SSI for the rest of my life. any experience?

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 9:32 am

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube wrote:
ah i see. i wouldnt need the free meals at all. I'd have to check the polices on those places. there's probably some other places where i can buy cheap food too. I barely even eat that much to be honest....

I feel the same way. Besides, the "meals" are said to be hoagie sandwiches and potato chips. In my opinion, it is criminal extortion to treat people this way. I wonder if a reduction of benefits would follow being homeless because there would be no rent payments. It stands to reason that there might be a reduction. I spend about $100 a month on food, and there are usually some items left over.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 12:10 pm

There is a person on WP who is homeless, yet collects full SSDI payments (albeit in weekly installments).

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2017, 12:27 pm

I worry about your quality of life, long term. Most public housing has a ghetto quality about it. I lived in public housing for 2 years. When I moved in my rent was $16, then later $0. But it was dirty, the people were nasty, there was a bed bug problem and roaches. I didn't fit in there. They sold drugs and did drugs and fought in the parking lot.

When you don't work for a long time your self esteem may suffer and people don't respect you. You stay mostly at home and it is a lonely life. After some time your good looks will fade and people will begin to think of you as a loser. Even the older men will not want you anymore.

I'm not trying to be mean, just presenting one angle for you to look at. When I lived in public housing and didn't have a job I tried to date, but no one wanted me. They didn't want to support someone else.

I know it is hard and stressful to find and keep a job. But one might find even that stress of trying to be better than the sh***y life you might live depending on the government. And the government does not come without stress. You may know about the paperwork you must fill out constantly, stupid appointments, proof of this and that, reporting to someone.

I will suggest dreaming a bigger dream. Maybe you can. I don't know the severity of your issues. But working or going to school will bring you more pleasure than sitting online all day. Perhaps a therapist could assist you in role-playing job interviews or situations. I say all this, but I think you've already made up your mind.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 12:47 pm

The Original Poster is only 21; he has his whole life ahead of him.

It's possible that he might come to the realization that the "SSI" life doesn't cut it--that he wants more than that.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2017, 9:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

It's possible that he might come to the realization that the "SSI" life doesn't cut it--that he wants more than that.

actually, i honestly don't demand much stuff at all. i don't need a huge house, or a new car (I can't even stand even stand driving..) All i do most of the time is make videos for youtube and spend time on my computer.

And also, about me being 21 years old and having my whole life ahead of me, there's quite a bit going on. I have type 1 diabetes, which is very difficult to control and which is also causing a lot of problems for me. But i'll be explaining more on this forum soon.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2017, 1:12 am

burnt_orange wrote:
I worry about your quality of life, long term. Most public housing has a ghetto quality about it. I lived in public housing for 2 years. When I moved in my rent was $16, then later $0. But it was dirty, the people were nasty, there was a bed bug problem and roaches. I didn't fit in there. They sold drugs and did drugs and fought in the parking lot.

i see. i'd have to make sure it wasn't a place like that. not all income based housing is trashy. a lot of the section 8 apartments are really nice from what i've heard.

burnt_orange wrote:
When you don't work for a long time your self esteem may suffer and people don't respect you. You stay mostly at home and it is a lonely life.

i don't care what people think of me. if someone looked down on me because i didn't work i'd flip them the bird :P lol

burnt_orange wrote:
After some time your good looks will fade and people will begin to think of you as a loser. Even the older men will not want you anymore.

not necessarily. I've seen older men who look gorgeous. I'm 6 foot 3 and 145 pounds with green eyes. Plus, i have type 1 diabetes which eats away at my body fat. I know i'll age but i won't look bad, i might just be a bit wrinkled up and that's it. but i'll still look nice.

Also, this one man i met who's 45 years old, was offered $500 once by an older man who wanted to have sex with him, and i was much better looking than he was. lol.

burnt_orange wrote:
I'm not trying to be mean, just presenting one angle for you to look at. When I lived in public housing and didn't have a job I tried to date, but no one wanted me. They didn't want to support someone else.

really? i don't mean to be rude or discredit what you said, but are you sure that was the reason? or was it something else? no offense or anything.

burnt_orange wrote:
I know it is hard and stressful to find and keep a job. But one might find even that stress of trying to be better than the sh***y life you might live depending on the government. And the government does not come without stress. You may know about the paperwork you must fill out constantly, stupid appointments, proof of this and that, reporting to someone.

i have lawyers helping me with all of that, it's honestly not that stressful hardly at all.

burnt_orange wrote:
I will suggest dreaming a bigger dream. Maybe you can. I don't know the severity of your issues. But working or going to school will bring you more pleasure than sitting online all day. Perhaps a therapist could assist you in role-playing job interviews or situations. I say all this, but I think you've already made up your mind.

i have quite a few more conditions besides autism. I also have ADHD, and type 1 diabetes, and some other stuff as well. I tried going to college but it was too stressful and overwhelming, even though i was only taking 2 classes. I never got along with any of my therapist. My last therapist, i got mad at and ended up cursing out and the therapist i have now, i wrote a story about her getting murdered by a magic scarecrow (i obviously do not like her either).

I'll be fine with the SSI. I understand where you're coming from though <3 and i do appreciate your advice, but i'm sure it'll work out. Holding a job was too stressful and overwhelming, and caused a lot of bad stuff to happen. I havent posted about it here yet but im going to eventually.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

28 Mar 2017, 1:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

burnt_orange wrote:

i don't meant to bump this thread at all, but if you watch all of these videos, you'll understand exactly why i need to be on SSI:

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

17 May 2017, 1:33 pm

@Burnt_orange,
sorry to bump this old topic, but i just needed to say everything i was thinking. First, i'm not trying to insult you or anything so please don't take it personally, and im not trying to start an argument or anything like that either. But your reply kinda upset me and kinda struck a nerve.

I know you meant well, and i know you were trying to be helpful and change my perspective on things, but there's just quite a bit of stuff about me that you didn't understand at all but only because i didn't explain it earlier, but now im going to just so you see where i'm coming from and how my conditions effect me.

burnt_orange wrote:

I honestly believe you're grossly over-estimating how many 'rent controlled' places are in bad shape. From what i've heard from many others, many rent-controlled housing places have strict standards that they have to meet. As in, they can't be 'dirty' or 'roach infested' or else they'd get in trouble. (i've heard it's actually illegal for any apartment to be infested with vermin and for the landlords to not do anything about it)

As for your situation with the public housing, i honestly think you just had epic bad luck. I definitely believe you could've relocated somewhere nicer.

burnt_orange wrote:
When you don't work for a long time your self esteem may suffer and people don't respect you. You stay mostly at home and it is a lonely life.

about the 'self esteem' thing. As much as i didn't want to admit this, the truth is that i hate the world, and that i hate society, and that I do not want to contribute ANYTHING to it at all, and i have absolutely no shame with living off of people's tax dollars for various reasons. Also, how would people know that im on SSI? unless i have told them in the first place?

and about staying at home and having a lonely life, that's what i actually prefer honestly. I don't really want any friends at all.

burnt_orange wrote:
After some time your good looks will fade and people will begin to think of you as a loser. Even the older men will not want you anymore.

Again, i know you meant well, and you weren't trying to upset me, but this really struck a nerve. Only because i think it's very inaccurate. Here's what i look like right now. Yeah, i'm not the most handsomest guy out there, but i get quite a few complements. In another 25 years, I still think i'm going to look just as handsome (yeah, i might be a bit weather beaten, but not that bad.) but i'll still be the same tall and willowy guy with green eyes (my diabetes eats away at my body fat, another condition i suffer from)

Either way, what it seems like what you're basically telling me is, just because i don't have a job and not working, the men still won't want me at all when i get older... no offense but i think that whole claim is absolutely absurd. Even if that is true, I would NEVER want to go with a guy just because he likes me for my money or job! that's crazy. And also, because how difficult my diabetes is to control, I really don't even think I will last that long in the first place.

Again, don't take what i said personal, but im just being completely honest. I don't mean to snap or anything.

burnt_orange wrote:

^there's a contradiction to what you're saying here. If i were to go on SSI, i wouldn't need someone to support me. I would be supporting myself because i would have money to.

burnt_orange wrote:

it honestly doesn't sound very difficult to me. Much better than being taken by a necrophiliac: viewtopic.php?t=338804 or left in Arkansas to die: viewtopic.php?t=341183

Again, please don't take this the wrong way. I understand you're trying to be helpful, but i don't mean to snap on you at all, but i'm just trying to get you to see the whole picture.

burnt_orange wrote:
I will suggest dreaming a bigger dream. Maybe you can. I don't know the severity of your issues.

I hope you realize them a bit more now...

burnt_orange wrote:
But working or going to school will bring you more pleasure than sitting online all day.

I can definitely confirm that that's not true...

burnt_orange wrote:
Perhaps a therapist could assist you in role-playing job interviews or situations. I say all this, but I think you've already made up your mind.

I hated all my therapist. I wrote a story about my last therapist getting rapped and murdered by an evil scarecrow i summon, and she was too scared to see me again after that. The therapist before that, he pissed me off and i started yelling and cursing him out and he almost called the cops on me. The therapist before that, I FLOODED the internet with bad reviews about him. And the therapist before that, I stalked him for a week and slashed the tires of his car one day (i was only 16 years old back then, i don't do that crazy stuff anymore, but i never got in trouble for it)

Therapists really piss me off because they're really stupid and they think they know so much but they really don't and they criticize me for my life issues and for the way my mind works, and it enrages me.

kraftiekortie wrote:

^No, not at all. As i said earlier, I hate society and do not want to contribute anything to it. No therapy or medication in the world will eliminate that from my mind. As long as I have internet and a safe place to play my video games and keep my video games. SSI will be enough for me.

Also, i have legitimate reasons for going on SSI. I have been diagnosed with Autism, type 1 diabetes, ADHD, borderline personality disorder, and bipolar disorder. and god knows what else since i haven't had a full psych-evaluation

Again, sorry to snap but i just want you all to know exactly what's going on in my head and where im coming from. I keep too much to myself anyway.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2017, 7:00 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
The most difficult part of living on SSI is finding housing which you can afford. Many times, that means living with a family member or friend who can rent a room to you. Unfortunately, though, SSI expects you to: 1) pay current-market value for your room (often more than most SSI recipients could afford), 2) pay an equal share (pro rata) of the household bills (mortgage, heating, power, water, sewer, trash collection), or 3) negotiate the room at no cost (which would yield nothing to your family member or friend, and your SSI benefits would be reduced by one-third).

Public housing is a reality for many recipients, but most housing facilities (in my area at least) require the recipient to sign over all or almost all of their benefits every month to pay for their room and food, leaving them just $40 a month to spend on themselves.

The second most difficult part is not buying or owning "investments" like gold and silver coins, expensive art and jewelry (except your wedding ring or your grandmother's earrings which are allowed). But, strangely, you are allowed to buy any motor vehicle you can afford (so, go get yourself a little red Corvette).

As others have written here, your other ordinary expenses are fairly easy to manage. But, SSI prohibits sharing sharing food with others, and vice versa. Also, if you sell personal property, you must claim it as income and your benefits will be reduced accordingly; better to donate your old stuff to charity. Clothing, furniture, books, CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray disks, magazines, newspapers, electronics, household appliances, medical equipment, and hobby or recreational items are all exempt (you may buy and own as much as you wish). Vacations are also exempt (but, most recipients can't afford them). The one sticky point is that you may not receive cash, checks, money orders, gift certificates or gift cards in any amount more than $20 a month from all sources. This means Christmas and your birthdays must be creative (tell family and friends that you can receive "things (like a book, Blu-ray disk or sweater)" but not cash or cards; then, exchange the gifts for items you actually want if necessary.

One thing to remember with SSI is that you can't own more than $2,000 in cash or assets at any given time. Think of yourself as a federally employed "professional shopper." You are expected to spend, spend, spend. Just make sure that your own bills are paid first, and try to buy things for yourself. I own clothing I haven't even worn yet.

Finally, as my benefits lawyer told me many times, look for reasons to visit your medical or psychological doctors at least three or four times a year. SSI watches for any sign that you are no longer disabled. Visiting your doctors for counseling or tests is a great way to prove you are still disabled.

Whoa wait what? You can buy as many material things as you want but no vacations at all or is that only for the money you're getting from SSI? What if I live with my mom? I could always say she's paying for the vacations. Okay please tell me this is a joke. My therapist suggested I go on disability because I've been having the hardest time getting a job. She didn't tell me about this.
Also if I'm spending a long time to make less money than I should be getting (these sites ain't minimum wage) to supplement it since 700 dollars really isn't that much, are you saying they're going to NSA my online history?
I understand they're discouraging moochers but if a person is disabled they don't deserve to go out and see the world once in a while? I mean for me I'd rather go on vacation once or twice a year than buy a bunch of DVDs? Exploring other places are important for the mental psyche (not saying everyone has to vacation of course only if they want to) Vacations could also mean job opportunities. Maybe I get there and I find an employer that would accept my disability and hire me. I've thought about moving out of state anyway. I'm just not sure if I can due to my disorder. What do you mean sharing food with others? How would they monitor that?
Ugh I really hope this isn't true the only reason I was finally deciding to apply disability was because they had the Ticket to Work program so maybe this won't apply to me. Plus I am told I am more qualified for the Adult Disabled Child fund so if I'm just getting it off a parent's retirement I wouldn't think there'd be any exclusion. I really hope this isn't true for everyone going on disability because honestly I really did want a job. It's all I really wanted but I'm so tired of looking that as much as I don't want to admit it it has made me have suicidal thoughts and I think my therapist doesn't know what else to do or else she wouldn't suggest the disability.
All this sounds crazy like they'd be monitoring me 24/7.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP

Last edited by Nickchick on 27 May 2017, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 7:06 pm

Nickchick wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
The most difficult part of living on SSI is finding housing which you can afford. Many times, that means living with a family member or friend who can rent a room to you. Unfortunately, though, SSI expects you to: 1) pay current-market value for your room (often more than most SSI recipients could afford), 2) pay an equal share (pro rata) of the household bills (mortgage, heating, power, water, sewer, trash collection), or 3) negotiate the room at no cost (which would yield nothing to your family member or friend, and your SSI benefits would be reduced by one-third).

Public housing is a reality for many recipients, but most housing facilities (in my area at least) require the recipient to sign over all or almost all of their benefits every month to pay for their room and food, leaving them just $40 a month to spend on themselves.

The second most difficult part is not buying or owning "investments" like gold and silver coins, expensive art and jewelry (except your wedding ring or your grandmother's earrings which are allowed). But, strangely, you are allowed to buy any motor vehicle you can afford (so, go get yourself a little red Corvette).

As others have written here, your other ordinary expenses are fairly easy to manage. But, SSI prohibits sharing sharing food with others, and vice versa. Also, if you sell personal property, you must claim it as income and your benefits will be reduced accordingly; better to donate your old stuff to charity. Clothing, furniture, books, CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray disks, magazines, newspapers, electronics, household appliances, medical equipment, and hobby or recreational items are all exempt (you may buy and own as much as you wish). Vacations are also exempt (but, most recipients can't afford them). The one sticky point is that you may not receive cash, checks, money orders, gift certificates or gift cards in any amount more than $20 a month from all sources. This means Christmas and your birthdays must be creative (tell family and friends that you can receive "things (like a book, Blu-ray disk or sweater)" but not cash or cards; then, exchange the gifts for items you actually want if necessary.

One thing to remember with SSI is that you can't own more than $2,000 in cash or assets at any given time. Think of yourself as a federally employed "professional shopper." You are expected to spend, spend, spend. Just make sure that your own bills are paid first, and try to buy things for yourself. I own clothing I haven't even worn yet.

Finally, as my benefits lawyer told me many times, look for reasons to visit your medical or psychological doctors at least three or four times a year. SSI watches for any sign that you are no longer disabled. Visiting your doctors for counseling or tests is a great way to prove you are still disabled.

Whoa wait what? You can buy as many material things as you want but no vacations at all or is that only for the money you're getting from SSI? What if I live with my mom? I could always say she's paying for the vacations. Okay please tell me this is a joke. My therapist suggested I go on disability because I've been having the hardest time getting a job. She didn't tell me about this.
Also if I'm spending a long time to make less money than I should be getting (these sites ain't minimum wage) to supplement it since 700 dollars really isn't that much, are you saying they're going to NSA my online history?
I understand they're discouraging moochers but if a person is disabled they don't deserve to go out and see the world once in a while? I mean for me I'd rather go on vacation once or twice a year than buy a bunch of DVDs? Exploring other places are important for the mental psyche (not saying everyone has to vacation of course only if they want to) What do you mean sharing food with others? How would they monitor that?
Ugh I really hope this isn't true the only reason I was finally deciding to apply disability was because they had the Ticket to Work program so maybe this won't apply to me. Plus I am told I am more qualified for the Adult Disabled Child fund so if I'm just getting it off a parent's retirement I wouldn't think there'd be any exclusion. I really hope this isn't true for everyone going on disability because honestly I really did want a job. It's all I really wanted but I'm so tired of looking that as much as I don't want to admit it it has made me have suicidal thoughts and I think my therapist doesn't know what else to do or else she wouldn't suggest the disability.

The Social Security Administration SSI policies are so difficult to understand that three of my lawyer friends (including two who are SSA lawyers) told me that they "can't even understand the policies" and avoid them.

So, it is always best to ask your SSA lawyer for advice.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2017, 7:13 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Nickchick wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

I understand they're discouraging moochers but if a person is disabled they don't deserve to go out and see the world once in a while? I mean for me I'd rather go on vacation once or twice a year than buy a bunch of DVDs? Exploring other places are important for the mental psyche (not saying everyone has to vacation of course only if they want to) What do you mean sharing food with others? How would they monitor that?

The Social Security Administration SSI policies are so difficult to understand that three of my lawyer friends (including two who are SSA lawyers) told me that they "can't even understand the policies" and avoid them.

So, it is always best to ask your SSA lawyer for advice.

Okay well I did see a lawyer. The last thing that has happened is my therapist sent in the form to them for the Adult Disabled Child that only she could fill out. That was a week or two ago (not good with remembering days). The only thing they asked and the form said that I cannot be married that I can recall and my income is low enough to qualify also. I told them about my survey sites and they told me those don't qualify as income. I also asked about my mom living with me and her income has nothing to do with mine because no matter what it comes off as father's pension.
Maybe it depends on the state you live in?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 7:20 pm

Well, CAPTCHA has made a comeback on WrongPlanet.net. I can't reply in detail. Sorry.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 7:58 pm

I don't know anything about income based housing but I just heard an NPR program that might be worth a listen. The program focused on a young, single mom who waited quite a number of years to get awarded section 8 housing. She lived in Texas. She looked for the six months ( I think) they give you to use the coupon or lose it and she searched hundreds of places in many Texas cities and there wasn't a landlord anywhere that would take her coupon.
I think its kinda of sad that there isn't more housing available for people who need it. The program mentioned a city in Texas that actually prevented a developer from building a development that included section 8 housing.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

28 May 2017, 7:51 am

finding housing when you're on SSI does sound complicated, but this one SSI expert i talked to told me that if you find a friend or a family member to move in with, you just have to have a rent agreement that's 1/3 of your SSI income. they never said you had to pay half.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 8:07 am

finding housing when you're on SSI does sound complicated, but this one SSI expert i talked to told me that if you find a friend or a family member to move in with, you just have to have a rent agreement that's 1/3 of your SSI income. they never said you had to pay half.

There are three housing "schemes" which SSI will allow: 1) a rent payment of full market value, 2) a pro rata rent payment of an equal share (based on the number of residents in the home; so, three residents would require the SSI recipient to pay one-third of the overall annual household-utility expenses), and 3) no rent payment of any kind which would cause a one-third deduction in benefits.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

28 May 2017, 3:27 pm

AspieUtah wrote:

There are three housing "schemes" which SSI will allow: 1) a rent payment of full market value, 2) a pro rata rent payment of an equal share (based on the number of residents in the home; so, three residents would require the SSI recipient to pay one-third of the overall annual household-utility expenses), and 3) no rent payment of any kind which would cause a one-third deduction in benefits.

wait a sec, so are you saying that if i went to live at a house that a person owned, and they charged me $300 a month for rent, and didn't make me pay for electricity, the SSA association wouldn't allow that because they'd want me to pay half of their electricity and utilities?