Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 10:21 pm

A movie I like called Star Trek The Undiscovered Country (undiscovered country meaning the future), as I understand it was an allegory about the end of the Cold War and making peace with Russia. There's a part where Kirk says, "don't believe them, don't trust them!".

Now 25 years later there's Nikki Haley the US ambassador to the UN saying, "we can not trust Russia, we should never trust Russia!". So apparently in 25 years the notion of Russia no longer being an enemy after the Cold War has gone absolutely nowhere. The fear of Russia remains as strong as ever. And apparently according to Haley, that should never change.

Now Ukraine and Crimea aside for the moment. And the as yet unproven accusations of Putin hacking of the DNC and Yahoo. What acts of aggression as Russia made towards the United States? What threats has Putin issued against the US?

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 11:50 pm

EzraS wrote:
A movie I like called Star Trek The Undiscovered Country (undiscovered country meaning the future), as I understand it was an allegory about the end of the Cold War and making peace with Russia. There's a part where Kirk says, "don't believe them, don't trust them!".

Now 25 years later there's Nikki Haley the US ambassador to the UN saying, "we can not trust Russia, we should never trust Russia!". So apparently in 25 years the notion of Russia no longer being an enemy after the Cold War has gone absolutely nowhere. The fear of Russia remains as strong as ever. And apparently according to Haley, that should never change.

Now Ukraine and Crimea aside for the moment. And the as yet unproven accusations of Putin hacking of the DNC and Yahoo. What acts of aggression as Russia made towards the United States? What threats has Putin issued against the US?
uh yah, russia has been attacking the US for a while now. they hacked Yahoo(see below link).
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yahoo ... SKBN16N0CO
not really sure how you think that Russia is an ally to the west, they've never demonstrated any such thing since the cold war.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 3:34 am

Fugu wrote:
EzraS wrote:

uh yah, russia has been attacking the US for a while now. they hacked Yahoo(see below link).
not really sure how you think that Russia is an ally to the west, they've never demonstrated any such thing since the cold war.

I mentioned the Yahoo hack in my post. Not sure if those guys were under orders or working on their own. But anyways, one Yahoo hack in 25 years is the only thing?

Not saying I think Russia is an ally to the West. Just wondering why they're still seen as the the big bad enemy to America 25 years after the Cold War.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 4:00 am

All my life, Russians are the evil people in movies.

Rocky - Drago: "I must break you".

Rocky(in red/white/blue shorts) triumphs over the evil Russian.

Top Gun - F-14A Tomcat triumphs over a "Soviet Mig" aircraft

Air Force One

"Get off my plane" you evil Russian hijackers.

And now you tell me that Russians are good people?? :D

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 4:18 am

Those movies happened a long time ago! How long are we supposed to hold a grudge? :P

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 4:26 am

EzraS wrote:
Those movies happened a long time ago! How long are we supposed to hold a grudge? :P

Americans are propagandized to hate Russians.

"Movies have many preferred punching bags, but for decades, Mother Russia has been at the top of the list".

"Since 2010 alone, Russian bad guys have appeared in such action flicks as

John Wick,
The Equalizer,
The Amazing Spider-Man 2,
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit,
The November Man,
A Good Day to Die Hard,
Jack Reacher,
Limitless,
Salt,
The Drop,
and The Tourist".

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment ... f-all-time

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 4:26 am

EzraS wrote:

For as long as stirring that particular pot is conducive to the gaining of votes.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 4:41 am

«The unlikely stories of Russian hackers influencing American voters can be laid to rest after publication of Vault 7, a vast collection of CIA hacking devices, in particular of its Umbrage. The CIA has created a “fingerprint” that can be used by forensic investigators to attribute multiple different attacks to the same entity.»

http://www.veteransnewsnow.com/2017/03/11/1014533-the-russian-scare-israel-shamir/

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 5:11 am

EzraS wrote:

I know in China, Japan, and Korea, people are still mad at each other for stuff that happened before WW2. So a VERY long time. :P

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 9:01 am

Putin is a mischief maker. He wants to rebuild to Soviet Empire and destabilize the West. Not sure why this is isn't obvious.
Trump is a dupe to Putin. The Russians were working with his administration the whole time and Trump didn't even know it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 9:15 am

I am of Russian descent. I am fascinated by Russian culture. I have read much about the history of Russia. I once spent one day reading 800 pages of a biography of Peter the Great. Dostoyevsky is one of my favorite writers.

I would say we should COOPERATE with Russia, but that we should never think of them as a staunch ally. They have interests which are not our interests. They have a nuclear arsenal. Putin is an ex-KGB man, so should at least be suspected of Soviet-type sympathies.

I'd be a wary and watchful ally, if an ally at all.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 10:44 am

EzraS wrote:
Fugu wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I mentioned the Yahoo hack in my post. Not sure if those guys were under orders or working on their own. But anyways, one Yahoo hack in 25 years is the only thing?

Not saying I think Russia is an ally to the West. Just wondering why they're still seen as the the big bad enemy to America 25 years after the Cold War.
Moscow has been the latest hotspot for hiring blackhats. add to that the background stuff they did during the election(link) and it's pretty obvious that Putin isn't friendly to the west. the yahoo hack was only the most visible part.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 4:26 pm

I find Putin to be very friendly to Putin----not to too many other people.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 5:46 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Putin is a mischief maker. He wants to rebuild to Soviet Empire and destabilize the West. Not sure why this is isn't obvious.
Trump is a dupe to Putin. The Russians were working with his administration the whole time and Trump didn't even know it.
Could well be. Just look at Flynn and Sessels.

I am wondering whether animosity to Russia has been a recent thing with liberals or has it been their for years. Because many liberals I am hearing today sound just as hawkish as Lindsey Graham or Mccain on Russia and is that a recent thing?

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 5:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I am of Russian descent. I am fascinated by Russian culture. I have read much about the history of Russia. I once spent one day reading 800 pages of a biography of Peter the Great. Dostoyevsky is one of my favorite writers.

I would say we should COOPERATE with Russia, but that we should never think of them as a staunch ally. They have interests which are not our interests. They have a nuclear arsenal. Putin is an ex-KGB man, so should at least be suspected of Soviet-type sympathies.

I'd be a wary and watchful ally, if an ally at all.
You read 800 pages a day. Geez man how do you do it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 6:05 pm

LOL....I only did that once!

If I'm really interested in what I'm reading, I can read very many pages.

Historically, "liberals" have had less animosity with Russia than "conservatives; this was especially true during the Cold War (1946-1991). Nowadays, the tables have been turned, so to speak, because of Russia's possible shenanigans pertaining to the 2016 US elections.