Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 2:00 pm

Hi,

My husband and I are converting our garage into a small apartment. The idea is it'll be for our teenaged son if he gets to a point where he wants more privacy, but isn't able to live completely independently.

I'm trying to think of how we can best equip it for his potential needs. We're going for surfaces that are easy to clean and maintain. Rugs are out because of the noise of a vacuum. Wifi is a must. :-)

Lighting just now occurred to me as something that might be an issue.

What would you want to have or not have in your space, given a choice?

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2017, 10:55 pm

A bathroom and small kitchen if possible and appropriate for him. A window or two. A comfy couch. A somewhat private sleeping area, whether it's a separate room or wall or curtain. The normal things anyone would want.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 11:55 am

Ah, the enclosed sleeping area is something I hadn't thought of. We can rig up a curtain or a folding screen.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 12:04 pm

That's awesome that you are creating a private place for you son.
I don't know what you or your son prefer but I would avoid florescent lighting. Lighting is really important to me. The ability to change from overhead bright lights to soft and muted side lights. This can alter my mood substantially and really contributes to a place feeling homey and not like an office.
His own doorway could be a big bonus.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 2:18 pm

beady wrote:
I don't know what you or your son prefer but I would avoid florescent lighting. Lighting is really important to me. The ability to change from overhead bright lights to soft and muted side lights. This can alter my mood substantially and really contributes to a place feeling homey and not like an office.

Good idea. It'll have overhead led lighting, but I'll make sure there are lamps as well.

It's too late to put a bedroom door in the plans, but it is a small, private space so I think it'll be pretty cozy.

pi woman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Apr 2017, 12:54 pm

You implied sensitivity to noise; what about cheap soundproofing to mitigate neighborhood/traffic noise?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 10:12 am

How about a couple of book cases as a screen for the sleeping area. A full kitchen isn't practicle, but a a microwave, toaster oven, and cube fridge would be good. Just be sure to include at least one fire extinguisher by the "kitchen" area, and another perhaps by the bed. You will also need to put in at least one carbon monoxide/smoke detector. Don't forget a desk and chair.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 11:40 am

A nice blanket and a comfy chair.

Also, will you be my Mom?

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 1:02 pm

Aw shucks. Believe me, I am far from the perfect mom. But maybe we could take turns. :-)

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 1:07 pm

:D

Yeah, I have a thread in the Haven regarding my Mom. Nobody's perfect.

How is your son's space shaping up. Has he moved into it?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 7:53 am

willaful wrote:
beady wrote:

Good idea. It'll have overhead led lighting, but I'll make sure there are lamps as well.

It's too late to put a bedroom door in the plans, but it is a small, private space so I think it'll be pretty cozy.

LED lighting is something you would need to involve your son into, those bulbs can have pretty painful colors on them. Personally i prefer incandescent.

As for the living space, there is one thing that i find to be a must: my own front door. The room being a garage at the moment has that covered i assume, but make sure that you do not block the doors with anything.
If there is no connecting door between the garage and the main house (a freestanding garage for example), at least a toilet and sink is also a must, with a shower being a nice bonus.

Don't forget to add temperature isolation either, most garages don't have that by default, and not having that makes for a very uncomfortable living space.