Military action against North Korea an 'option' - Tillerson

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Seoul (AFP) - Military action by the United States against nuclear-armed North Korea is an "option on the table" if the threat from the rogue regime escalates, Washington's top diplomat Rex Tillerson said Friday.

The strong comments from the secretary of state, in Asia for his first foray into crisis management, appear to signal a sea change in American policy towards the isolated country.

Tillerson's tour comes after a missile launch last week that Pyongyang described as a drill for an attack on US bases in Japan.

The US has 28,000 troops stationed in South Korea to defend it from the North, but the capital Seoul is within range of Pyongyang's artillery and analysts believe any conflict could risk rapid escalation and heavy casualties.

Even so, Tillerson announced the end of United States' "strategic patience" -- the stance of the previous administration under Barack Obama.

Under the earlier policy, the US ruled out diplomatic engagement with the North until it made a tangible commitment to denuclearisation, hoping that internal stresses in the isolated country would bring about change.

"We are exploring a new range of diplomatic, security, economic measures. All options are on the table," Tillerson told reporters at a joint press conference with his South Korean counterpart Yun Byung-Se.

"Certainly we do not want to, for things to get to military conflict," he said. "If they elevate the threat of their weapons programme to a level that we believe requires action, then, that option's on the table."

In before Glorious Leader rattles his saber.

here's hoping it's just a huge bluff on Pyongyang's part instead of Cold War 2.0

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 Mar 2017, 5:19 pm

I think it is safe to say that North Korea is a problem that has to be taken seriously, all options are on the table can be interpreted negatively but it also gives the possibility of diplomacy which there wasn't before. It is not a good situation, I am not sure what the right answer should be but to prepare for the worst. At which point is conflict is inevitable and then how much can be contained?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 6:49 pm

Based on history there is no reason to believe North Korea would honor any agreement they sign. So it is to continue with the containment policy/adjusting the containment policy and hope for the best, or war which would mean if you are living in South Korea your street will look like the streets in Germany or Japan at the end of WWII.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 8:57 pm

Anyone else still remember screaming at the TV when Clinton signed the deal to build them their first nuclear reactor?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 9:30 am

I'm hoping that defector's assertion that the regime is starting to crumble is true.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2017, 9:39 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Anyone else still remember screaming at the TV when Clinton signed the deal to build them their first nuclear reactor?

Seriously, did Hillary want to build them their first nuclear reactor? Good thing she isn't president lol.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 9:45 am

Yo El wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Seriously, did Hillary want to build them their first nuclear reactor? Good thing she isn't president lol.

It was Bill, actually. I thought kids today were supposed to be better informed because of their facility with the web.

Even at that time, I had seen enough from the DPRK to know that they would not meet their end of the bargain, which was to stop developing nukes and long-range missiles. Several previous deals had already failed, and I doubted that our generosity would make an impact.

No one can predict what they will do. That's my considered opinion, based on long observation of the situation. They won't do what they say they will do, but that's about all you can eliminate from consideration.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2017, 9:54 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Yo El wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

It was Bill, actually. I thought kids today were supposed to be better informed because of their facility with the web.

Even at that time, I had seen enough from the DPRK to know that they would not meet their end of the bargain, which was to stop developing nukes and long-range missiles. Several previous deals had already failed, and I doubted that our generosity would make an impact.

No one can predict what they will do. That's my considered opinion, based on long observation of the situation. They won't do what they say they will do, but that's about all you can eliminate from consideration.
Exactly I'm still a kid I was 1 years old when Bill Clinton lost power.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 9:59 am

Yo El wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Yo El wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Technically, his term expired. Well, get better informed. Your abuse of Economics in that other thread has already caused you to lose credibility with me and any other economists. Making mistakes is part of learning, but that doesn't describe making the same kind of mistake endlessly.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2017, 10:08 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Yo El wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Yo El wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Technically, his term expired. Well, get better informed. Your abuse of Economics in that other thread has already caused you to lose credibility with me and any other economists. Making mistakes is part of learning, but that doesn't describe making the same kind of mistake endlessly.
Can you exacly point out where I made the mistakes so I can work on it?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 10:10 am

You could start by reading my posts, and then doing a little research on your own. Better yet, do a little research before posting, or better still, before forming your opinion.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2017, 10:18 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
You could start by reading my posts, and then doing a little research on your own. Better yet, do a little research before posting, or better still, before forming your opinion.
Ah yes, but what do you advice me to read before posting on economics? Edit: Ok I have read most of the responses on the economic thread. I see now that I have basicly said what other people said before me. I haven't given false information but I unecessary information that already has been handed out previously. I didn't read what people said well enough, my bad.

Last edited by Yo El on 18 Mar 2017, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 10:28 am

Yo El wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Ah yes, but what do you advice me to read before posting on economics?

1) Adam Smith "The Wealth of Nations" for a historical view

2) Thomas Sowell "Basic Economics" and many other books he's written

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Mar 2017, 10:30 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I'm hoping that defector's assertion that the regime is starting to crumble is true.

careful what you wish for, the collapse of the regime is probably what will bring about war

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 10:34 am

Jacoby wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

careful what you wish for, the collapse of the regime is probably what will bring about war

Yep. What they say about leaving an abusive relationship is that
the most dangerous time for the person being abused
is when he or she tries to leave the relationship.
Same thing with abusive regimes within countries ... only magnified exponentially.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 10:36 am

Well-put^