BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Overweight people have been ridiculed and discriminated against, with little sympathy from the general public for a long time. I'm happy that the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue has most recently had - not obesely overweight women - but women who can be described as curvy. I personally prefer voluptuous women to self-starved walking sticks.

Overweight people make the majority of my country. I do not think they are discriminated and if they are I think things you have control of like that should be fair game for discrimination. What do you define as discrimination?

What country do you reside in?
Overweight people in the USA, though comprising a large percentage of the population, have been found to be judged on their appearance rather than their qualifications when applying for jobs, are the butt of jokes, and are generally harped at for being ugly and unhealthy. There have even been airlines who have insultingly required overweight people to purchase two tickets per seat.

I am a Canadian American. I agree that they should not be judged in employment. Thank you for teaching me that. I have to admit being the butt f a joke doesn't sound bad to me, but I like being the butt of a joke. Obesity is correlated with numerology s health conditions. If they take two seas why should they not pay for two seats? I agree if they don't esquire two seats they should not pay for it though.

Any time. 8)

Nice to agree with each other. Do you think obesity is becoming more acceptable? Disliking fat people seems weird to me, because there are so many of them? I can get disliking small groups because of the fact that people interact with them less. I have to admit my biggest problem with obesity is my fear of becoming obese. So many of the things that I love to do would be much harder fat.

I think overweight people are being recognized as being attractive because there are so many these days. The truth is, overweight people have always been getting married and having families; it's just something that's being acknowledged today. The notion of a malnourished super model setting the standard for beauty is absurd, as starving yourself can be just as unhealthy. Years ago, Marilyn Monroe was considered the standard of beauty, though today many would consider her fat. A woman can be beautiful, even if she is big. I think what we need to keep in mind is, one should avoid becoming too morbidly obese, just as one should avoid starving oneself to death.
I myself am overweight - not nearly as overweight as I've been in the past (when I got married, I was approaching three hundred fifty pounds!), but today, floating around the 270' and 280s, neither am I as thin as I have been. The battle of the bulge is a tough fight, and a worthy one, and one should not be scorned if one is losing at the moment.

My mother is obese and I see the suffering it causes her. A lot of runways have stopped using size zero models. I remember an interesting study that plus size models can encourage people to remain fat. The study recommended a range of model sizes and more average weight models.

I totally agree.

Cool, what do you think will stop obesity? I think we should subsidize healthier foods, turn unused government land to gardens, and teach nutrition more.

That sounds pretty good, though I wouldn't want to spoil all pristine wilderness for these gardens, though some could go to that. I think big business should also do their part and develop healthy gardens, if they want to convince us that they're somehow really good guys.

I more mean unused lots in cities. I think that could help the families by providing extra income too. They could sell some of their crops. It would also teach children an appreciation of nature.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 3:48 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Overweight people have been ridiculed and discriminated against, with little sympathy from the general public for a long time. I'm happy that the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue has most recently had - not obesely overweight women - but women who can be described as curvy. I personally prefer voluptuous women to self-starved walking sticks.

Overweight people make the majority of my country. I do not think they are discriminated and if they are I think things you have control of like that should be fair game for discrimination. What do you define as discrimination?

What country do you reside in?
Overweight people in the USA, though comprising a large percentage of the population, have been found to be judged on their appearance rather than their qualifications when applying for jobs, are the butt of jokes, and are generally harped at for being ugly and unhealthy. There have even been airlines who have insultingly required overweight people to purchase two tickets per seat.

I am a Canadian American. I agree that they should not be judged in employment. Thank you for teaching me that. I have to admit being the butt f a joke doesn't sound bad to me, but I like being the butt of a joke. Obesity is correlated with numerology s health conditions. If they take two seas why should they not pay for two seats? I agree if they don't esquire two seats they should not pay for it though.

Any time. 8)

Nice to agree with each other. Do you think obesity is becoming more acceptable? Disliking fat people seems weird to me, because there are so many of them? I can get disliking small groups because of the fact that people interact with them less. I have to admit my biggest problem with obesity is my fear of becoming obese. So many of the things that I love to do would be much harder fat.

I think overweight people are being recognized as being attractive because there are so many these days. The truth is, overweight people have always been getting married and having families; it's just something that's being acknowledged today. The notion of a malnourished super model setting the standard for beauty is absurd, as starving yourself can be just as unhealthy. Years ago, Marilyn Monroe was considered the standard of beauty, though today many would consider her fat. A woman can be beautiful, even if she is big. I think what we need to keep in mind is, one should avoid becoming too morbidly obese, just as one should avoid starving oneself to death.
I myself am overweight - not nearly as overweight as I've been in the past (when I got married, I was approaching three hundred fifty pounds!), but today, floating around the 270' and 280s, neither am I as thin as I have been. The battle of the bulge is a tough fight, and a worthy one, and one should not be scorned if one is losing at the moment.

My mother is obese and I see the suffering it causes her. A lot of runways have stopped using size zero models. I remember an interesting study that plus size models can encourage people to remain fat. The study recommended a range of model sizes and more average weight models.

I totally agree.

Cool, what do you think will stop obesity? I think we should subsidize healthier foods, turn unused government land to gardens, and teach nutrition more.

That sounds pretty good, though I wouldn't want to spoil all pristine wilderness for these gardens, though some could go to that. I think big business should also do their part and develop healthy gardens, if they want to convince us that they're somehow really good guys.

I more mean unused lots in cities. I think that could help the families by providing extra income too. They could sell some of their crops. It would also teach children an appreciation of nature.

Okay, I gotcha. :wink:

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2017, 5:19 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Is the fat acceptance movement harmful or helpful in your opinion?

When I was large it made me feel better about myself.

I can't stand fat-shaming.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 5:28 pm

Hippygoth wrote:
xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Is the fat acceptance movement harmful or helpful in your opinion?

When I was large it made me feel better about myself.

I can't stand fat-shaming.

Is that a good thing though? Do you think it made you less motivated to lose weight?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 12:45 am

It's about bloody time that such a movement comes into existence. This is long overdue. Threads like this drive me insane.

Windigo
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2017, 1:02 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
It's about bloody time that such a movement comes into existence. This is long overdue. Threads like this drive me insane.

Me too, wanna know why?

I am overweight because I have a life threatening disease which I take prednisone for, which has messed up my thyroid, AND I have PCOS which is a hormone disorder that causes you to gain weight too.

So I am overweight, but not because I choose to. I am overweight because otherwise I am dead.

Yet the insults I get for it are abhorrent. I even get yelled at in the street, and no, I don't need a scooter to go around or have rolls hanging down everywhere. I am moderately overweight, not obese. Yet I deal with insults and critisiscm for my looks every day. Until folks hear my story, but even then most think I will be cured if I do x or y diet.

People don't come in prepacked neat forms that are all equal, and it's about time we started accepting that not everyone is the same.

Sure there are fat people who are fat just because they eat to much, but who cares? Why do YOU care? They are the agent over their bodies and if anything they need support instead of hate.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 1:28 am

Windigo wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Me too, wanna know why?

I am overweight because I have a life threatening disease which I take prednisone for, which has messed up my thyroid, AND I have PCOS which is a hormone disorder that causes you to gain weight too.

So I am overweight, but not because I choose to. I am overweight because otherwise I am dead.

Yet the insults I get for it are abhorrent. I even get yelled at in the street, and no, I don't need a scooter to go around or have rolls hanging down everywhere. I am moderately overweight, not obese. Yet I deal with insults and critisiscm for my looks every day. Until folks hear my story, but even then most think I will be cured if I do x or y diet.

People don't come in prepacked neat forms that are all equal, and it's about time we started accepting that not everyone is the same.

Sure there are fat people who are fat just because they eat to much, but who cares? Why do YOU care? They are the agent over their bodies and if anything they need support instead of hate.

Ridiculing anyone, whether because they're fat or for some other reason, is indefensible and rude. It says more about the person making the insults than about the target of their insults.

Windigo
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2017, 4:03 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Ridiculing anyone, whether because they're fat or for some other reason, is indefensible and rude. It says more about the person making the insults than about the target of their insults.

Exactly, as Aspies I think we should understand this better than anyone as most of us have experienced being bullied for being different at least once in our lives.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 12:11 pm

Windigo wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Exactly, as Aspies I think we should understand this better than anyone as most of us have experienced being bullied for being different at least once in our lives.

Weight Gain a Challenge for Children With Autism Preschoolers, teens on the spectrum are more likely than peers to be overweight, obese

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 9:00 pm

Windigo wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Me too, wanna know why?

In some countries medicine is socialized and fat people put a higher burden on the system. This leads to others paying more. I was reading about a healthcare company that is using Fitbits. If you make steps you get a cheaper healthcare. I wish my healthcare provider did that. I get 30,000 steps a day. It would be nice to get some money.

Windigo
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2017, 1:16 am

BettaPonic wrote:

In some countries medicine is socialized and fat people put a higher burden on the system. This leads to others paying more. I was reading about a healthcare company that is using Fitbits. If you make steps you get a cheaper healthcare. I wish my healthcare provider did that. I get 30,000 steps a day. It would be nice to get some money.

If you're an Aspie that uses medicine, you also ''put a higher burder' on the system. Is that something people should hate you for?

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 5:45 am

Windigo wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

If you're an Aspie that uses medicine, you also ''put a higher burder' on the system. Is that something people should hate you for?

I would consider that different. Most people cannot exercise off or diet off a mental illness. A large amount of obese people can slim down. Another difference is the medicne helps make you a functioning member of society. Obesity treatments keep you alive, but the condition can hinder being a functioning member of society. Personally I think people with self caused conditions or partake in activities that do not help people should pay higher insurance rates. I separate that from people like firefighter who do risk hy behavior for the betterment of society. My mother is obese and she needs constant medical treatment.
Personally the only reason I care about obesity is because it directly poses a threat to me. The military is having a harder timer recruiting, medical costs go up, and important jobs go unfilled.
I think to help stop obesity we should subsidize healthier food. I think vacant lots in cities should be turned into community gardens. A great thing about the gardens is children learn a love of nature, families can sell off some of the fruits to fund themselves, and it helps end food desserts.
I think insurance companies should offer discounts to anyone trying to boost their health.
I am against fat shaming because I do not think it accomplishes anything. I think society should have the same campaigns we had against smoking though.

Sorry if I rambled.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 12:39 am

The human form has all manner of shapes and sizes, it's a human form whether they look chiseled or untoned, I'm more interested in their brain and how they conduct themselves and treat others. I think 'skinny' is just as disparaging to be deemed, I used to be almost skeleton-like and found it upsetting how I was called as such. Some people couldn't give a rat's behind if somebody tells them they are fat, skinny, tall or small, one should understand a person's feelings before commenting. Yes I take in how they look and in what condition their bodies are, not because I judge them priority on this, but because the physical meshes with the mental, I ain't talking to a bunch of spongy brains after all. If somebody weighs several hundred pounds, that is their business, if someone has the physique of a deity that is also their business, if someone falls between in that realm known as the average joe non-six pack, that's also their business. Acceptance of a human's right to feel like a valid human shock and horror ought to come first. Being healthier if it is within your power and you can find the right motivation and reason within yourself, that is an admirable thing but it is not something you need to pursue in order to feel worthwhile, there's countless jerk offs who are very fit but lacking in several other departments.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 6:02 am

I am more interested because such a large amount of Americans are obese. I see that as a large burden on healthcare. It could also shorten the lives of millions. If we ever grow socialized medicine we will be paying for their healthcare. Important jobs such as cop will have a harder time being filled.

Windigo
Raven
Raven

02 Apr 2017, 7:35 am

BettaPonic wrote:
I would consider that different. Most people cannot exercise off or diet off a mental illness.
Sorry if I rambled.

Well considering so many people are fat and so many can't seem to lose the weight long term, do you really think it's that simple?

I also find it interesting that no one responded to my first post in which I explain why I am overweight, you think I am the exeption? Do you know how many people take prednisone/have thyriod issues/hormone disorders/mental illness or other reasons why they are fat?

I might be exeptional because I have all four (and don't worry I already pay a higher insurance fee because of that) but you seem to think every fat person is the same. I can't blame you because this stereotype is perpetuated by the media and maybe your mom does chronically overeat but it's just not true that the majority of overweight people can just diet it off without any other problems.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 7:51 am

Windigo wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
I would consider that different. Most people cannot exercise off or diet off a mental illness.
Sorry if I rambled.

Well considering so many people are fat and so many can't seem to lose the weight long term, do you really think it's that simple?

I also find it interesting that no one responded to my first post in which I explain why I am overweight, you think I am the exeption? Do you know how many people take prednisone/have thyriod issues/hormone disorders/mental illness or other reasons why they are fat?

I might be exeptional because I have all four (and don't worry I already pay a higher insurance fee because of that) but you seem to think every fat person is the same. I can't blame you because this stereotype is perpetuated by the media and maybe your mom does chronically overeat but it's just not true that the majority of overweight people can just diet it off without any other problems.

I am not saying that it is that simple. I am saying that there are steps a person can take to no longer be obese, but there are not steps to cure a mental illness.

I personally advocate for schools and workplaces to encourage exercise. For communities that lack access to healthy food to have help growing their own. I also advocate weight loss and healthier living by offering cheaper insurance for people losing weight. I also advocate for more paths between area.