Page 9 of 10 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 8:14 am

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
and if lab-grown meat ever becomes commercially feasible, better still.

Mock meat is actually quite tasty but I have a Gluten intolerance so can't eat it :(

what about lab-grown MEAT meat? [it is a real thing, albeit experimental at this point]

Yeah I'd give that a try, even our vegan friends can't deny cell cultures

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2017, 5:25 pm

Hey, I do not spend all my time here but I will do my best to cover everyone's points. Better to let your concerns percolate up and then see what overall themes come up.
Plus, I am being lazy on quote attribs, if anyone minds, I will do better.

Quote:
what about lab-grown MEAT meat? [it is a real thing, albeit experimental at this point]

My science/medical side says since it has animal based proteins it will still be harder on you than going plant-based: cholesterol, haeme iron, oxidative stress, all the usual suspects.

The libertarian side of me does not care, I mean, I have heard it tastes like squishy leather and costs a ton-load but if it costs nothing and tastes great, I do not care either way. If it kills you :skull: , at least you are not causing some other creature pain to get your addictive substance, so, whatevs you know?

Quote:
At least he responded to you. I see you have no response to my arguments.

Anyway, you're barking up the wrong tree with this addiction nonsense. All life feeds off other life to live. It's not that we do it, it's how we do it. Which is why I support a change to humane treatment of food animals. We're not going to stop eating them, but at least we could be nice to them before we kill them.

I am not changing my wording on the addiction thing. I am addicted to sugar right now. Used to be addicted to tobacco. If it is not an addiction to eat meat, then address my concerns about meat being bad for you. Why do Vegans look hotter, are healthier and live longer? People that look older, less appealing and have consistent health problems... addicts as at least possible anyone? A shirt showing a line-up of addicts,

Meth = Teeth Missing, Bad Breath, Skin all messed up
Meat = Fat, Breathing Problems, Sweaty red palor, foot missing from diabetic gangrene
etc...

There is no humane treatment for slaughtered animals.

https://youtu.be/PduaNG1c1pE
http://freefromharm.org/animal-products ... slaughter/

Plants do not feed off of other life to do what they do, they feed off of nutrients and sunlight. In fact, your statement is so patently silly, I am having a hard time responding to this. There is a nitrogen cycle (and other exotic possibilities like chemosynthesis) but I think you are pointing to something else.

The important question is, what kind of society do you want to live in, One that follows science and the golden rule, or one that does not? This is not a false dichotomy, magical thinking is everywhere, whose side are you on, on that point? And if you are against science or the golden rule, doesn't that make you a hypocrite living in the modern world? I am not denying myself what is my birthright giving up meat, you all are engaging in addictive behaviors that are detrimental to the survival of our species.

https://youtu.be/G20cooZOiYE

Here are some other tips. Proteins are chains of amino acids and occur in all life. Humans, which like plants, fungae and a host of other biological kingdoms and supergroups, are eukaryotes. Our closest relative species are all herbivorous and show the same kind of characteristics as ourselves.

In general, here is a good source to cover the science of an optimal human diet.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/Y2809E/y2809e00.HTM

I have responded to your arguments before (we are frugivores {fruit eaters}, I gave a link, I will respond to other arguments as necessary), but why don't you do everyone a benifit and just use two things, google and youtube.

Here is what you do, if you have a question on some vegan topic, type the question into the search bar and just add the word "vegan", then I am sure your question will be answered. I am not being facetious. The answers you get doing the above I have seen for myself, consistently pwn the topic, from a logical point of view.

I have yet to see a concern here or elsewhere that has not already been covered. Binocular eyes = we are predators = nope, has to do with environment. Sucks being vegan = nope, we are on average happier. Humans are omnivores = nope, we are frugivores with starch predilection, etc, etc...

The only thing that would cause the mass of the people to quit being fake omnivores and realize that they are herbivores (and I am not against survival, and I do understand this is a big culture shock, like when one day flat earth arguments just aint cool anymore) is if there is a mass lack of acceptance of obesity as being some inevitible state. When everyone around you thinks you did it to yourself and you look gross because of it, all this talk will just go away.

When you can't get a date unless you look fit, and people whisper behind your back, "oh yeah, he suffers from carnism... it is sad. :( ", that will be an interesting day.

Quote:
But its also the height of middle class arrogance to expect that everyone can "afford" to live on a vegan diet. I know for a fact that organic/vegetarian/vegan food is expensive and often not accessible if especially if you live in poorer suburbs. This makes your attitude somewhat naive and a little ignorant.

I go to fast-food places that support Vegan options on the regular (Taco Bell, Taco Time, Subway) for this exact reason. I know what you are talking about, the blight of nothing but McD's and their ilk. I have seen videos covering this. If you live in an area where you can not get fruits and veggies and you know you need it, isn't that at least partially on you? What have you been doing to solve this, hmmm?

Do you have a super-market in your area? Safeway, Crogers, whatever? The cheapest food in them is veggies and fruit. I get Amy's Meals for anywhere from $3.75, to when I want to splurge, $5, and it is cheap. That is a whole meal. So, whatever you know?

Feeling_Unvalidated
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2017, 6:17 pm

One thing that may or may not have been mentioned in the comments already - i wouldn't know - tl;dr - but autism in girls many times can be comorbid with pcos because of how the ethylmercury binds to testosterone and other male androgens. This means many of us girls on the spectrum have fought weight issues due to the low metabolism and all the fun that comes with pcos. So yes, i would say the body positive movement is a very good thing for the autistic community because we can't all have the energy required in our mitochondria to boost said metabolism and get the weight off. i was happy one year i lost 60 pounds, but i have gained almost half back. *shrug*

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 6:52 pm

^^^welcome to our club 8)

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 4:02 pm

Paleo with carb cycling.

I actually enjoy primal, over-the-fire, right-off-the-tree kind-of eating. Lots of my food never comes indoors. And, there is lots of it.

But, I can still eat nice, cooking-show type stuff, or have an occasional pig-out, when I am feeling depleted.

Yo-yo dieting would actually work, if you stopped, after just one or two or five feasts. You would still have a high metabolism, for awhile.

I do not restrict portion size, and have lost 60lbs -- as a tall, muscular male, with high-T.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 9:40 pm

I cannot gain weight. I am 5'11 and weigh 127. When I was little some doctors would assume I was anorexic. I also over exercise. I have done 54,000 steps today. I can respect someine being happy with their weight, but pretending obesity isn't bad for your health is something I can't respect.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 10:01 pm

The fat acceptance movement isn't inherently bad. Some people just take it too far.

Hollywood pressures women to be dangerously underweight. That's obvious. The commonly-used slogan "Real women have curves." is 100% true. Women with curves are more cuddly. :lol:

Of course, a woman should watch her weight if she is damaging her health.

That's why the slogan "health at every size" is garbage.

Some people are overweight. Other people are underweight. You need to maintain a balance unless you want to destroy your internal organs. That's just basic science.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 10:06 pm

I've found that as long as i'm content with a BMI of [barely] 25, that my body maintains that without too much worry or exertion. but it resists mightily if I try to get below that. when I was in high school and the army, my BMI was 18. that was almost 4 decades ago.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 4:52 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
The fat acceptance movement isn't inherently bad. Some people just take it too far.

Hollywood pressures women to be dangerously underweight. That's obvious. The commonly-used slogan "Real women have curves." is 100% true. Women with curves are more cuddly. :lol:

Of course, a woman should watch her weight if she is damaging her health.

That's why the slogan "health at every size" is garbage.

Some people are overweight. Other people are underweight. You need to maintain a balance unless you want to destroy your internal organs. That's just basic science.

One of my closest friends is anorexic. She defiantly needs some body positivity.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 1:07 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
I cannot gain weight. I am 5'11 and weigh 127. When I was little some doctors would assume I was anorexic. I also over exercise. I have done 54,000 steps today. I can respect someine being happy with their weight, but pretending obesity isn't bad for your health is something I can't respect.

That is why you can't gain weight because you over exercise so you are not giving yourself enough calorie intake your body needs to gain weight.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 1:09 pm

I think "Body acceptance" and "bodies come in different shapes and sizes" gets twisted by the FA to justify their obesity.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 1:19 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I consider myself "body positive" within reason. I am overweight but I love myself enough to have good eating habits such as cutting out junk foods with lots of preservatives and not eating desserts or fast food. I also like to make healthy choices at restaurants (we went out to get some Japanese food and instead of soda I got a calorie free hot green tea and a Chirashi which had the same kind of fish sushi has but in limited amounts. I hardly ate any of the rice. I shouldn't have gotten that vegetable and shrimp tempura but now I know better.) and when we do eat typically unhealthy food like Chinese food, I like getting one or two appetizers that are not heavily fried.

Exercise is also a major part of my life these days.

While I do think it's important to love how you look, I also think when things do get out of control to change eating and lifestyle habits.

Is the fat acceptance movement harmful or helpful in your opinion?

I think it can definitely go too far. When we're not allowed to talk about healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle because it might hurt someone's feelings, that's not sane.

BUT. I have a dear friend who's 6'3" and almost 400 pounds. For now anyway, he's healthy (and almost 40). I've personally seen "fat shaming" driven attempts by doctors to force him to lose weight almost KILL HIM. When someone's liver counts are going crazy and you never consider that they could be getting sick because of the 1000 calorie diet you have them on instead of the extra pounds they're carrying, your fat-judgment is impairing your medical judgment.

My hubby is definitely overweight. When he says things like, "I'm too fat to go for a walk," and it's not about not being able to physically handle it but about the fear that someone will see him walking (biking, swimming, whatever) and judge his weight-- yeah, some fat acceptance would sure improve things for him.

When his mom sits around eating her self-hate over the extra weight she's carrying instead of getting in the pool (to take some weight off the feet that have been destroyed by arthritis and multiple broken bones) and getting some activity because, "Oh my God, I look awful in a bathing suit!!"-- yeah, some fat acceptance would sure improve things for her.

When I can tell people that, because of my new anti-depressant, I can only stand to eat about 500 calories a day and I've lost 20 pounds in a month and the reaction I get is, "I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! !" instead of "I think this drug might be dangerous for you," we have a problem, and it's not in the direction of being too accepting of fat.

When I'm more conscious of how my clothes LOOK than how comfortable they are before I go out to walk, mow, garden, whatever-- both because I'm a married woman and therefore afraid of showing ANYTHING and because my 170-pound muscular 5'7" self isn't "the standard of feminine beauty" anymore and I know I'm SUPPOSED TO BE self-conscious about that-- YEAH, FAT-SHAMING HAS GONE WAY TOO FAR.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 3:39 pm

I am OUTRAGED at all of this "shame shaming".

Making folks feel ashamed of....making folks feel ashamed!

I think we all should stand up for our rights to...make other folks feel ashamed of...whatever we want other folks to feel ashamed of!

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 7:22 pm

League_Girl wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

That is why you can't gain weight because you over exercise so you are not giving yourself enough calorie intake your body needs to gain weight.

It happened before that. I have a family history of not being able to gain weight.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 12:59 am

BettaPonic wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

It happened before that. I have a family history of not being able to gain weight.

Have you ever been checked for any thyroid issues? Sometimes people have too high of metabolism they keep on losing weight no matter how much they eat and they basically have to eat all the time to keep their weight on.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 4:41 am

League_Girl wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

Have you ever been checked for any thyroid issues? Sometimes people have too high of metabolism they keep on losing weight no matter how much they eat and they basically have to eat all the time to keep their weight on.

I haven't been checked. Thank you for the concern. I might have been checked when little though.