Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 6:10 pm

I have an impossible dream. I always thought it would be cool to write an operating system, even if it's not flashy like Windows or Ubuntu/Linux.

This seems bad because I know people need lots of programming experience, but I'm not a programmer at all. There was an OS Development community where I would just post questions and make myself look like an idiot.

The other thing was that I am not a real programmer and I don't think I'll be good at it. I can't solve logical puzzles, at least by myself, and that's what's required of a true programmer. I also ask too many questions. Should I even give up at all?

I wanted to turn to programming as a possible hobby I can pursue because I otherwise have no car, no income, and live with my parents. I wanted to be proud of myself of achieving something.

archvillain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2017, 8:09 pm

If you want to program, program. Start small. Borrow a "teach yourself python" book from your library. Work through it. Be proud of every program you write. If you love it and stick with it, writing an "operating system" is just a more complex version of the same thing.

The hardest part of programming is coping with frustration. If you can deal with that, you can do great things.

ScottieKarate
Raven
Raven

24 Mar 2017, 1:34 am

Take a codecademy course. They're fun and a great way to get started to see if you like it. Python or javascript.