Do you, a free person, see Muslim females as slaves?

Page 7 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

25 Mar 2017, 4:20 am

Deleted post

Last edited by Yo El on 25 Mar 2017, 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 4:21 am

MushroomPrincess wrote:
Not really, just Barchan. 8)

She is no longer Muslim anymore; finally.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 4:26 am

GnosticBishop wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Again it's something that only exist in the islamist sharia countries, where the dower is really treated as a bride price. I am not denying that women are treated as slaves in countries such as : Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, the conservative communities of Iran, and some parts of Pakistan and maybe in the poorest class of Sudan.

In the less conservative countries, you may still find Dower tradition; they call it a 'mahr'.

Dower means the amount paid by groom to bride, dowry is the opposite, according to dictionary.

Some pre-islamic traditions in non-really-Arab Arabized civilizations still remain: Traditionally, in Egypt for instance, at least among the non-MB and non-salafist people; the bride or her family often bring dowry to marriage often to cover the wedding costs yet the groom may contribute, while groom/his family covers the housing costs as dower yet the groom's family may contribute too, furniture and others costs are usually divided; so it's a dual system of dower/dowry and often negotiable. Doesn't it ring a bell? In lebanon for instance, the mahr is symbolic, almost all costs are divided especially among the middle class yet the groom usually contribute more; even among Christians, the men often contribute more.

So it's like a price tag being put on a bride in some market; yet some greedy brides or greedy parents may treat it as such if they feel their daughter is so desirable.

As for the child brides, the info on Mohammad's child bride comes as a shock to most moderate Muslims; a lot also deny it and convince themselves with specific interpretations that claim she was 16 or 19, not 9.

Again I tell you, most muslims don't know really their religion.

This was a social experiment in a Sunni-majority area in Beirut, the old man, the cemeraman and the child are actors- click on CC to read the english translations, watch it to the end:

Again, thanks for the good info.

That clip may have been staged but it shows all too well the reality of old Muslim men marrying children who likely have no choice and who are definitely too young to make an intelligent choice.

Regards
DL

Well, honestly you do seem....to have an agenda and fixed on the idea to prove something; the video wasn't staged - the man and the child were actors,yes ; but the reactions of people were obviously real.

It is a video that shows that most moderate muslims, at least in a fairly civiized non-sharia area, wouldn't approve a such 'marriage' nor to a such sharia law (and probably unaware that their prophet did it).

Also child marriage was common almsot everywhere in history:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:12 am

The Unleasher wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Yo El wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Yo El wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
God had also been commanding David to commit genocide, allegedly. Just sayin'.
Wait, what is the connection?

I think advocating for genocide destroys all moral authority. I hold gods to a somewhat lower standard than people, but genocide - even genocide against Philistines - crosses the line.

I wish I could remember more about the archaeological evidence from Philistia. I'm just taking a quick break, and I'm on a deadline today, so I can't look for it. I remember them having a fairly advanced culture, and I found it interesting. It's pretty sad that the name of their culture is a slur. Unsurprisingly it appears to have as little basis in reality as other slurs that support genocides.

Yes Hebrew culture is indeed fascinating. However back to the point. Job 1;21 He said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD." God gives and God takes. This is the theme of the book of Job, it's a good read. .

Job 2;3 And the LORD said unto Satan: 'Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a whole-hearted and an upright man, one that feareth God, and shunneth evil? and he still holdeth fast his integrity, although thou didst move Me against him, to destroy him without cause.'

God admitting he was moved to do evil by Satan.

So much for God being good.

You can blame the hit man Satan alone but to ignore the one who paid for the hit would be you not wanting to face reality and you would be showing poor morals by exonerating your evil demiurge.

Regards
DL

There actually is a group of Christians who believe God is both good and bad.

That is the logical view and correct IMO because if God was all there was in the beginning, then all that is, good and evil, must have emanated from God.

That logic follows scriptures as well and even follow the older Jewish way of thinking that they are to strive both for and against God.

That view is shown in this movie.

https://vimeo.com/7038401

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:13 am

MushroomPrincess wrote:

Sorry. This is meaningless to me.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:17 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Again it's something that only exist in the islamist sharia countries, where the dower is really treated as a bride price. I am not denying that women are treated as slaves in countries such as : Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, the conservative communities of Iran, and some parts of Pakistan and maybe in the poorest class of Sudan.

In the less conservative countries, you may still find Dower tradition; they call it a 'mahr'.

Dower means the amount paid by groom to bride, dowry is the opposite, according to dictionary.

Some pre-islamic traditions in non-really-Arab Arabized civilizations still remain: Traditionally, in Egypt for instance, at least among the non-MB and non-salafist people; the bride or her family often bring dowry to marriage often to cover the wedding costs yet the groom may contribute, while groom/his family covers the housing costs as dower yet the groom's family may contribute too, furniture and others costs are usually divided; so it's a dual system of dower/dowry and often negotiable. Doesn't it ring a bell? In lebanon for instance, the mahr is symbolic, almost all costs are divided especially among the middle class yet the groom usually contribute more; even among Christians, the men often contribute more.

So it's like a price tag being put on a bride in some market; yet some greedy brides or greedy parents may treat it as such if they feel their daughter is so desirable.

As for the child brides, the info on Mohammad's child bride comes as a shock to most moderate Muslims; a lot also deny it and convince themselves with specific interpretations that claim she was 16 or 19, not 9.

Again I tell you, most muslims don't know really their religion.

This was a social experiment in a Sunni-majority area in Beirut, the old man, the cemeraman and the child are actors- click on CC to read the english translations, watch it to the end:

Again, thanks for the good info.

That clip may have been staged but it shows all too well the reality of old Muslim men marrying children who likely have no choice and who are definitely too young to make an intelligent choice.

Regards
DL

Well, honestly you do seem....to have an agenda and fixed on the idea to prove something; the video wasn't staged - the man and the child were actors,yes ; but the reactions of people were obviously real.

It is a video that shows that most moderate muslims, at least in a fairly civiized non-sharia area, wouldn't approve a such 'marriage' nor to a such sharia law (and probably unaware that their prophet did it).

Also child marriage was common almsot everywhere in history:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage

In past barbaric times, slavery was the order of the day.

How many of the old barbaric, and by our standards, immoral customs should we retain?

I say none.

Regards
DL

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:40 am

^ Well, I certainly agree with you on this.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:42 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^ Well, I certainly agree with you on this.

Wise. Kidding. :)

Thanks.

Regards
DL

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2017, 10:43 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MushroomPrincess wrote:

Damn right, she submits to me now. 8)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 10:14 am

MushroomPrincess wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MushroomPrincess wrote:

Damn right, she submits to me now. 8)

Ok...ay.

/RunningFastTheOppositeWay

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 6:41 am

the_phoenix wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
We have no business telling other people how to live.

And also ....

Prime directive, schmime directive, mon capitaine ...
Are you telling me you don't care enough to better your primitive species?

(And yes, that's a real photo of me in my natural Q form. The firework images are mine as well. The starship, USS Renegade, is property of STARFLEET, and the image was provided by the Renegade's Captain.)

You cosplayed as Q? That is so cool!! :)

Dutch87
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2017, 4:23 pm

I haven't read the entire thread, but I have a question:

How do you know who is a free person and who is enslaved?

Can a person not appear to be free, yet still be enslaved? Is it possible to be free with regards to one thing and enslaved to another?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 8:34 am

^ I guess. My conspiracy theorist dad says there are slaves in plain site who are dressed in normal clothes but have been ordered not to tell anyone they're slaves. He says there are taxi drivers who are literally slaves but have to pretend they're normal taxi drivers.

It's an interesting concept but I don't usually believe conspiracy theories.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 9:57 am

^ He's correct in some sense, but probably not the sense he intends.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 12:47 pm

Not really.

And in particular, I think it's ironic how the hijab is seen as an article of oppression, when it was originally worn by free women to distinguish themselves from the slaves. Being allowed to wear a head covering was seen as a mark of privilege.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 12:50 pm

The hijab has become a requirement, though.