Page 3 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 1:52 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I have no idea. I may just be a social oddball.

Your not alone there. If I do have autism it would be a very very low number as I don't think it affects my life dramatically , the comorbids are the problem.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 9:44 pm

Feralucce wrote:
And even someone who is profoundly effected by an autistic spectrum disorder may not be "very autistic" at all...

Which doesn't seem to make any sense, which is typical of the autism enigma.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 12:32 am

Shahunshah wrote:
b9 wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
b9 wrote:
how the hell would i know?
autism is different for everyone except for a few core characteristics.

i can not feel emotion. except when something really big happens like if my cat dies.

but even then, i am not sure if it is emotion that i feel.

i feel as if i am authorized to be completely clueless as to how to act in society, and i act as i please, and whether there are raised eyebrows or knowing smiles, i do not care.

Typically people don't feel emotion until spurned on by something. What would you say you should be feeling?

nothing. i don't feel stuff. it's all just intangible rubbish.
I want you to imagine this. Imagine someone close to you is crying and in complete tears. How would you feel then?

well if someone close to me is crying, i obviously do not want to see them in their mysterious agony, but there is nothing i can do to make it better for them except to refer them to someone who may be able to help them.

people do not look to me for succor, because if they know me well, then they know i have no brain cells alive in that area.

i do not have empathy but i do have sympathy, and even if i do not understand the gravity of what they are feeling, i would like to give them a lift to their other friend's houses so they can take on the job of solace.

most of the time that people are grizzling over something, i see it as trivial ( the subject of their despair) but i have learned over the years not to devalue their feelings.

like my girlfriend rings up crying about how her mother is displeased with something she did, and i think "who gives a s**t? why care? just do as you please as long as it doesn't hurt or interfere with others, and whatever their attitude to it is, let it fester in their heads only"

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 1:04 am

I have no idea and just have always felt very socially awkward and on neuropsychology test performance score was significantly lower than verbal score (32 points) so I'm considered visually spatially impaired and may miss non verbal cues.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 5:26 am

b9 wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
b9 wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
b9 wrote:

i can not feel emotion. except when something really big happens like if my cat dies.

i feel as if i am authorized to be completely clueless as to how to act in society, and i act as i please, and whether there are raised eyebrows or knowing smiles, i do not care.

Typically people don't feel emotion until spurned on by something. What would you say you should be feeling?

I want you to imagine this. Imagine someone close to you is crying and in complete tears. How would you feel then?

well if someone close to me is crying, i obviously do not want to see them in their mysterious agony, but there is nothing i can do to make it better for them except to refer them to someone who may be able to help them.

people do not look to me for succor, because if they know me well, then they know i have no brain cells alive in that area.

i do not have empathy but i do have sympathy, and even if i do not understand the gravity of what they are feeling, i would like to give them a lift to their other friend's houses so they can take on the job of solace.

most of the time that people are grizzling over something, i see it as trivial ( the subject of their despair) but i have learned over the years not to devalue their feelings.

like my girlfriend rings up crying about how her mother is displeased with something she did, and i think "who gives a s**t? why care? just do as you please as long as it doesn't hurt or interfere with others, and whatever their attitude to it is, let it fester in their heads only"

Empathy is something we have to learn over time. I am struggle with it myself at certain occasions but we climb. I find it is really nice to talk to my friends who have similar problems.

Sometimes no individual can deal with someone that is in tears. When I am confronted by that from my mum or dad, I try to listen and hug. Don't feel as though you are somehow less for not always being able to do everything. It is a struggle for anyone to deal with.

Total empathy to be honest is impossible. Their is always going to be experiences others can't comprehend such as being an aspie, having anxiety, bipolar etc. I fail to see how what you have is unique.

I could be wrong. Can you explain?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 5:56 am

When I see movies, where people are "enjoying the moment" ....

I think how rotten it is that I have brain damage, and I will never have that.

I will go through life, and never have that.

I will always be an outsider, where analytic processes substitute for bliss.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2017, 6:06 am

On a scale of 1 to 10, I am a 5. Because this is what came out of a professional conducted test. That was a long time ago at the moment I feel more like a 7/8. I get frustrated very easily and hit myself on the head when I do something wrong( only when I'm alone though). I have a hard time connecting with people my age. Because people my age seem to have very different interest compared to mine. I mostly like to talk with people older than 30, but I don't know if they like to talk to me.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 1:53 pm

pretentious wrote:
I've been doing market research and trying to better understand people with autism. From people I've spoken to so far, Autism is experienced differently by most people and it's super hard to draw generalizations.
Do those of you with autism view yourself as a point on a spectrum compared to NT's? or do you take offense to a question like that being asked?

] I don't mean to strike you wrong. But, It is pretty pretentious of you to say that sense. It is called Autism spectrum disorder at least in DSM-V.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 3:15 pm

CV2 wrote:
I can understand perfectly well and it seems ridiculously simple, but once I go to try and do whatever it is, my brain cannot process. Which is extremely frustrating. Whatever I'm trying to do may be incredibly simple to understand, but impossible to actually do.

I wish I had known about this years ago. For a long time, I was trying to figure out how it could be that some people tell me I'm smart, and yet I get so lost when having to do something practical.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 3:19 pm

I learn better from reading and trying things than by watching. My mirror neurons are so slow that my mother told me to stop staring at people, and I did. OTOH, when I teach, I include everything I've learned in a logical way, and am told it is very helpful.

pretentious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2017, 9:44 pm

From the answers here, I think I'm either a 1 or 2. I am pretty high functioning but have moments where it's clear I missed something important in 'how to live life' class when I was 12 lol

b9 wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
b9 wrote:

This is interesting to me because I've been to funerals and was sad only because I thought I should be. This is why I'm on the forum, I have my quirks like every one and I guess I'm trying to understand them

feral botanist wrote:
What do you mean market research? Marketing what?

I'm thinking of starting a business for stiming and fidget toys, I have an idea of what I want to do but I want to see how well I know the people I'm hoping to connect with.

Dear_one wrote:
"You've heard of people 'having a screw loose', havn't you? Well, imagine that there's a set of dozens of screws that control Autism. If most of them are loose, you can barely talk or function, just sit and rock. If only a few are loose, your brain can work around them, but you still have to deal with the various benefits and handicaps that the eccentric circuitry produces."

Yeah this is the gist I've been getting. Man our brains are complicated huh? :P

Dear_one wrote:
If you want my tips on marketing, they are very simple. Make the best product, without hurting your employees or their environment, and chase all the money boys out of Google, so that I can find You. OTOH, if I see an ad, I won't trust you.

Could you elaborate on not trusting ads? I haven't watched TV for like 5 years because I feel like I'm having an aneurism every time I see some people trying to push my buttons on a Coca cola ad. I've always struggled with marketing because I don't like lying and found the idea of giving people what they 'want' rather than need was a little sociopathic haha.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 10:44 pm

pretentious wrote:

Dear_one wrote:
If you want my tips on marketing, they are very simple. Make the best product, without hurting your employees or their environment, and chase all the money boys out of Google, so that I can find You. OTOH, if I see an ad, I won't trust you.

Could you elaborate on not trusting ads? I haven't watched TV for like 5 years because I feel like I'm having an aneurism every time I see some people trying to push my buttons on a Coca cola ad. I've always struggled with marketing because I don't like lying and found the idea of giving people what they 'want' rather than need was a little sociopathic haha.

An ad says "I am going to try to distract you and convince you that you are unhappy because you don't have one particular specialty product. If you buy it, you will have to pay for bothering everyone who didn't get one. It isn't good enough for your friends to remark on it, it is just something I really want to sell you."

So, now we get guerilla marketing, which is at least cheaper, designed to emulate normal word-of-mouth advertising. Your best bet to kick start a business might be to give product to the most popular, talkative people you can find who might use it. There's always a lot of luck involved. Spandex was symbiotic with many kinds of sports equipment.

Have you read Jerry Mander's "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television?" I've never owned a TV, but had an interesting experience at my mother's one day. I'd been off meditating, and hadn't seen a screen in years 'till I went home for a visit. Her TV was an "always on" feature, so I started watching while she got busy in the kitchen. The first few ads had me almost ROTFL, because I found the manipulation so blatant. Within half an hour, it had all retreated into my subconscious again.

You would probably enjoy reading "Ogilvie on Advertising" - educational stories from an outstanding career, with tricks but no lies.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 12:32 pm

pretentious wrote:
I've been doing market research and trying to better understand people with autism. From people I've spoken to so far, Autism is experienced differently by most people and it's super hard to draw generalizations.
Do those of you with autism view yourself as a point on a spectrum compared to NT's? or do you take offense to a question like that being asked?

How NT are you compared to autism on a scale from 1 to 10? Because NT is also kind of a spectrum. :) Asking yourself this question could possibly help you to understand how your question is super hard to respond. (I hope I do not offense you.)

Stoic0209
Raven
Raven

22 Mar 2017, 2:30 pm

"How autistic are you?"

"I don't know - how autistic do you want me to be?"

Lame joke maybe...

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 8:04 pm

How autistic am i?
Im like 5 autistic. Maybe 4 autistic.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 8:16 pm

EzraS wrote:
On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being severe, I'd say I'm a 7.

HA! EZRA I LOVE YOUR NEW PIC, ITS EZRA MILLER! I THINK HES A CUTIE >w<

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com