Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ismiledinstead
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2017, 7:57 am

I'm new here and this is my first post. One thing that's been bothering me is the fact that I can't seem to absorb information. I had trouble in high school. It made me physically and emotionally ill how hard I tried. I stayed up late working on homework and projects that other people seemed to get done in class. I didn't realize how bad it was because it happened gradually over the years.

I graduated. Tried going to college three different times and dropped out due to failing my classes every time. I'm talking about education, but I feel this way about many things. I feel like I just am incapable. I don't add up to my peers.

I wasn't diagnosed as a kid. I'm not sure I even have one now. It seems to be difficult to get a diagnosis as an adult. Anyway, I'm trying to get a job that doesn't stress me to tears but also pays well. Without the ability to get an education, I feel like it's impossible.

I am miserable.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 9:47 pm

when i was 21, i got diagnosed. @ that time, i was in college. the college only accepted diagnosis reports from psychologists that specialized in learning disabilities. the college told me i could not get a diagnosis from the college or from Kaiser. it had to be out of pocket. yes, it was harder to get the diagnosis for an adult than for a child. however, in the united states, minors do not have a legal right to consent to medical treatment. that includes tests from psychologists. so, of course, i could not have gotten the diagnosis before 18. if anyone asks, that is the answr.

likewise, please discuss clinical depression with a psychologist. nobody can diagnose you over the internet. especially someone that is not a psychologist.

try Kahn Academy, private tutoring. consider going to an easier school. or going to a school more suited for you. or majoring in something else. or taking fewer units.

Sailen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2017, 2:17 pm

I'm the same way, I can't absorb information either. I'm currently in community college and am struggling but trying hard.

vanillabean
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2017, 5:38 am

Ugh same. I know I have had so much potential all these years but it's like there has just always been something missing. Like everyone else knows what's going on but I don't. School was just awful and pointless. I was forced to go. Today I had a meltdown because I have to go to an 8am appointment even though I sleep during the day, that's like the worst possible time for an appointment... it reminds me of being forced to go to school so I flipped out.

I will start learning things I'm passionate about then I hit a wall and have to give up. So I have surface knowledge of lots of things but no way to apply what I learn and no motivation. Never had any learning disabilities identified even though I've been trying to explain it my whole life, and know there has to be something I can do, something more to understand about the way I learn... but I'm just ignored or told how smart I am. Now being told I'm smart makes me incredibly angry. Have fun explaining that to anyone, right?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 7:02 am

vanillabean wrote:
Ugh same. I know I have had so much potential all these years but it's like there has just always been something missing. Like everyone else knows what's going on but I don't. School was just awful and pointless. I was forced to go. Today I had a meltdown because I have to go to an 8am appointment even though I sleep during the day, that's like the worst possible time for an appointment... it reminds me of being forced to go to school so I flipped out.

I will start learning things I'm passionate about then I hit a wall and have to give up. So I have surface knowledge of lots of things but no way to apply what I learn and no motivation. Never had any learning disabilities identified even though I've been trying to explain it my whole life, and know there has to be something I can do, something more to understand about the way I learn... but I'm just ignored or told how smart I am. Now being told I'm smart makes me incredibly angry. Have fun explaining that to anyone, right?

I used to be told by some of my teachers that I was "unteachable", and one geography teacher in particular gave up on me, he just had me sharpen pencils one by one throughout each lesson instead of trying to teach me. I never liked geography. The idea of reading and understanding maps was somewhat daunting to me, I would always have to turn them multiple times to try and fit the current landscape.

My maths teacher would act shocked if I managed to get even one of the tiniest details correct, as if it was simply inconceivable. I was in the bottom (worst) set for maths throughout the entirety of my time spent at school.

Yet, my peers would always remark on how smart I was. Like you, I almost felt angry at being called smart because I certainly didn't feel smart. I just felt like an idiot. Sometimes people would say to me "How come you are in this class? I thought you were smart!". I got that comment quite often actually. My difficulties were almost highlighted when displayed among my other results, my poor grades in maths certainly contrasted with my high grades in Business studies and English.

I'm currently in the process of trying to get a dyscalculia diagnosis. Hopefully, I'll manage to get one at University. I've been trying to get tested for awhile now. It's weird to me how my brain can be so good at some things, but absolutely terrible at others. For instance, I'm really good at those slider puzzles (the ones made up of squares that you have to move around in order to get them back into the correct order to make a picture) and I remember annoying my sister once because she had spent ages trying to solve one, gave up and handed it to me, only for me to solve it in a matter of seconds. I've also got a pretty good memory (albeit not for maths though) and I'm fairly good at IT (particularly digital design). :wink:

But tell me to quickly name where certain countries are, or to do a sum in my head, well...I'd struggle. :(

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Sep 2017, 6:23 am

Have you considered taking classes part-time instead of full-time? Taking general credits from the community college system instead of the universities? I had to reflect after starting uni to realize that I can't handle a full load. Some of the courses just moved too fast for me & others felt like nothing new or difficult would ever be covered. I would get anxious about the fear of failure, overwhelmed by the amount of reading & materials to get thru, & couldn't function successfully as a full-time student.

I had to learn more about myself & how I learn best before continuing. And how to advocate for myself with advisors. (I don't mean accommodations but regarding degree reqs, course substitutions, etc.) Also, I learned that accommodations are much easier to obtain if one had an IEP or 504 in school.

The downside, besides completing a degree much more slowly, is that (I think) part-time affects financial aid. I honestly am not sure tho because I don't have experience with it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Oct 2017, 1:43 am

I have a hard time learning because of my dyslexia, ADD & a rare low vision disorder on top of my Aspergers. I struggled in skewl alot & got burnt-out when I was little. I did try in class but I only really did homework at home. I never studied because I just didn't learn that way. I was so stressed from skewl that I really needed to relax at home instead of trying my a$$ off. I went to a dyslexic skewl from middle of 6th grade through 8th & things were alot better there but it didn't do high-skewl unfortunately. I hated skewl so much that I never had any desire to go to college. I also didn't feel I could do any job that required a college degree due to my disabilities. I never regretted not going to college. I have worked some as a dish-washer, doing floor-care, & as a custodian. I didn't mind those jobs for the most part except I hated the stress of rush-hour when I was dishwashing & I didn't like management at the place where I was doing floor-care in the end because we were really shorthanded & they kept pulling me off what I was supposed to be doing & then getting mad that the stuff I was supposed to be doing wasn't getting done. I'm on Social Security Disability now. I'm living with my girlfriend who's also disabled & has a Section 8 housing voucher along with other programs. We would be married by now but I'm classified as her caretaker so my income won't be factored in to her programs & she cant handle living alone cuz of her issues. Things are working out OK for me for the most part thou I really could use some extra money.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

loobyloukitty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Nov 2017, 6:32 pm

We have slower processing speeds than neurotypicals and have different learning styles. I am a visual learner. You need to find a way of learning that suits you. There are alot of apps out there that can help you absorb information in a variety of different ways. Reading, highlighting, writing notes. Planning your time effectively, writing to do lists. It can all be achievable. Try not to beat yourself up and compare yourself to others. You are unique and whats important is how you choose to live your life.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 12:23 am

It takes me ages to learn stuff.