Is "fun" a loaded word for you too?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Zed90230
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2017, 12:03 pm

One of the biggest frustrations for me is what's considered "fun", and yes this is indeed one reason why I'm still single. What's fun to many NTs is a monuental bore to me—dancing, partying, drinking (or getting high), sports, traveling—I just don't feel a rush from those things.

But at the same time, I also bore quickly from video games.

Activities that are fun to me are mostly about making things—building small projects from wood or metal, DIY home improvement, sewing and other crafts—those things to me are fun. My idea of a hot gf is one who can teach me how to crochet. Back about 15 years ago, when I tried oil painting, believe it or not I actually felt a little bit high when I was painting.

Is the concept of "fun" a point of contention between you and others as it is for me?

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 1:03 pm

What you consider 'fun', is exactly what I consider to be fun, and, indeed, I experience a rush/ a high, so to speak, from all of those activities. I wanted to make a joke about the oil in the oil paint, but, I am terrible at coming up with jokes, so I I've refrained. Anyway, I completely relate to you, and what you enjoy doing. All of it (although, I am only just learning to crochet. I could teach a person how to sew, knit or needlepoint, however. I get off on woodworking, painting, gardening, traveling, photography and various DIY projects, etcetera, etcetera). There are others like us, out there. Where, though, or, how to find them, I have no idea. I think people with our preference are like, a needle in a haystack, so to speak__

life_observer
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2017, 1:24 pm

Great post! I've also struggled with the concept of "fun", which for me have always been creative or intellectual pursuits, instead of the drinking and partying stereotype that seems ubiquitous across many social groups these days. For the past couple years, a big source of fun has been learning how to grow edible plants, especially growing sprouts and microgreens in a small space. Other past obsessions include playing (guitar) and producing music.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 2:00 pm

Since "drinking" to me is not "fun" ... it's not "loaded" ... bad pun, I know. :P

My interests are varied.

1) Dancing ... Yes, but not the boring way most NTs dance. 8)
2) Traveling ... Yes, but visiting quiet bed and breakfast inns way out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by nature.
3) Painting ... Yes. I'm an artist who has had my work exhibited in art galleries, museums, and solo shows.
4) Photography ... Yes. Most of my artwork up until now has been photography.

5) Star Trek ... Now that in fact HAS been a point of contention for me with people who think it's geeky. Oh well.

6) Music ... Years ago, I was in a drum & bugle corps ... lots of fun. A group I actually belonged in! :D

Wish I lived closer to the rest of you here in this thread ... 8)

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 4:34 pm

I can't stand that word. Fun to me is just studying or reading a book. I dislike parties and being with a million other people. Also, on a somewhat off topic note, funner should be a word. Teachers should start considering it one. If funnest is a word, then funner is too. It's how English works.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 4:38 pm

What's fun for you is fun for me, provided your "fun" doesn't hurt others or yourself.

I hate DIY---but DIY is a great hobby, and it can save lots of money.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 6:00 pm

Yes.

I feel like most people think I'm boring. If "fun" is mentioned in a what do people want in a partner context it makes me feel undesirable.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 10:56 am

I think everyone has a different idea of "fun", including NTs. Seems perfectly normal to me.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

FeardyBase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2017, 5:45 am

When followed by the words "night out", fun becomes a synonym of torture.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 10:00 am

"Fun" to me also means creating or accomplishing something and working toward a goal. The things most people consider fun are not so to me.