The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 5:36 pm

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 7:27 pm

Tolerance of groups that have intolerance written directly into their rule book simply because "religion" never made any sense to me either. I find it really hypocritical. I find it even more hypocritical when feminists defend islam, a religion that doesn't give a damn about women's rights whatsoever.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 7:38 pm

Noca wrote:
Tolerance of groups that have intolerance written directly into their rule book simply because "religion" never made any sense to me either. I find it really hypocritical. I find it even more hypocritical when feminists defend islam, a religion that doesn't give a damn about women's rights whatsoever.

Seconded

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Mar 2017, 8:26 pm

What is more hypocritical tan anything is that these leftists have no qualms about mocking or deriding Christians or Christianity, remember Piss Jesus? The great National Endowment for the Arts actually paid for that, don't think we're going to see a Piss Muhammed anytime soon. I'm not sure why they carry water for Islamists; there is just pure idiocy on their part when it comes to differentiating between race and Islam because in the "progressive liberal" brain they have programed to think racism is literally worse than murder which is a racist view in their own right since they equate Islam with "brown people" who are always universally oppressed. I really can't believe all these people are that ignorant and stupid, I think a lot of it is just cynical political posturing. They're not called useful idiots for nothing, they've been at this a long time. Part of it is a self-hatred as western leftism has placed all the blame for the worlds problems on white men and Christianity, they quite literally want to bring down western civilization and it's working.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 8:47 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I really can't believe all these people are that ignorant and stupid, I think a lot of it is just cynical political posturing.

In recent weeks I've been coming to like the view put forward by some quarters that "progressivism" or "leftism" or whatever name you want to call it is actually a religion, one that has taken hold since the fall of Christianity. It has high priests, sermons, original sin (whiteness), articles of faith that no fact or reason can budge.
While I'm sure there are many true believers who turn to it because it is simultaneously forgives them all their shortcomings (the rich white guys holding you back) and provides them hope (utopian human society, rather than an afterlife) , most I imagine are just trying to climb the ladder. Like when a religion is imposed by a King or Emperor in ancient times. While other religions inevitably hang around for a while, if you want to get ahead in life, you profess loyalty to the official religion.

What makes this even more interesting is the way progressivism can be traced to an extreme form of Protestant Christianity in times past...

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 10:22 pm

I am usually annoyed by centrists who insist that every issue has a middle ground where both sides are equally just as bad, but I have to say I side with them on politicizing religion. Both left and right wingers make me smh at the way they pick on one religion and give a free pass to the other. It's like politics are polarized out of nothing more than spite, which is funny to me since Islam and Christianity are both Abrahamic. This is why I won't take anyone else's word on Islam except those who are actually from Islamic nations. I can't just take her word alone either, but hats off to her for speaking up. It's one piece of the puzzle which means a lot when it comes to resolving the whole issue.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 2:07 am

Racism and race is the most inherently evil concept on this planet. Perfect leftist narrative.

When do you think these idiots desire to destroy western civilization will finally stop working? Why do we pretend they are so stupid?

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2017, 5:25 am

Noca wrote:
I think the whole point of being tolerant is that you also are tolerant of intolerance. Else the whole point of being tolerant is missed. Caring about person in my eyes is way more important than being tolerant, because this also involves you wanting what is best for the person. To be tolerant you can simply just don't give a s**t about a person at all. You are right it's funny how a feminist tries to defend islam.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 5:38 am

Mikah wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
I really can't believe all these people are that ignorant and stupid, I think a lot of it is just cynical political posturing.

In recent weeks I've been coming to like the view put forward by some quarters that "progressivism" or "leftism" or whatever name you want to call it is actually a religion, one that has taken hold since the fall of Christianity. It has high priests, sermons, original sin (whiteness), articles of faith that no fact or reason can budge.
While I'm sure there are many true believers who turn to it because it is simultaneously forgives them all their shortcomings (the rich white guys holding you back) and provides them hope (utopian human society, rather than an afterlife) , most I imagine are just trying to climb the ladder. Like when a religion is imposed by a King or Emperor in ancient times. While other religions inevitably hang around for a while, if you want to get ahead in life, you profess loyalty to the official religion.

What makes this even more interesting is the way progressivism can be traced to an extreme form of Protestant Christianity in times past...

Pfft, I was calling this stuff out for what it is long before it was trendy. :P

Magical thinking commonly leads to atrocities.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:09 am

Quote:
Pfft, I was calling this stuff out for what it is long before it was trendy. :P

Indeed, it's a common interpretation I've known about for a while, but it didn't hit home until for the first time in my life I saw the left in actual opposition to government.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Mar 2017, 8:20 am

Seems like another case of "some people say this, but this contradicts some people who say that; let's pretend those are the same people and make out that they are hypocritical".

Find me the mythical irreligious leftist who actually treats Islam better than Christianity.

There is only one way in which I think there's any case, and that's when it comes to satire and such. I do thin there's often a bigoted element to satires of Islam that doesn't exist in satires of Christianity simply because Christianity is "at home" and accepted in the West whereas Islam and Muslims are still treated like outsiders.

There certainly isn't a significant movement, outside of Islamist circles, to allow Muslims to behave worse than Christians or Jews.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2017, 11:16 am

adifferentname wrote:

No, because that means that children cause the most atrocities. They have a very magical way of thinking after all.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 11:49 am

Yo El wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

No, because that means that children cause the most atrocities. They have a very magical way of thinking after all.

You'll have to guide me through your thinking there, because I don't see a logical link between "magical thinking commonly leads to atrocities" and "children must therefore commit the most atrocities" without the inclusion of "children have sufficient agency, knowledge, strength, skill and opportunity to commit atrocities". As most children outgrow magical thinking by 7-8 years of age (except where indoctrinated), we can rule out every single one of those variables.

Unless you're being facetious, in which case ha ha?

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2017, 12:21 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Yo El wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

You'll have to guide me through your thinking there, because I don't see a logical link between "magical thinking commonly leads to atrocities" and "children must therefore commit the most atrocities" without the inclusion of "children have sufficient agency, knowledge, strength, skill and opportunity to commit atrocities". As most children outgrow magical thinking by 7-8 years of age (except where indoctrinated), we can rule out every single one of those variables.

Unless you're being facetious, in which case ha ha?
I knew it was flawed but I wanted to know with what argument you would reply. However I don't agree with the magical thinking causing atrocities.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 1:15 pm

I don't care. I don't believe in tolerating intolerance.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 7:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't care. I don't believe in tolerating intolerance.

So you're intolerant. Should you be tolerated? :roll:

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"