60 Minutes--Sesame Street adding autistic character!

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 3:18 pm

BTDT wrote:
She was portrayed as creative.

I like that idea, but what did she create.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 2:45 pm

They had someone else say she was creative. It appeared she was working on a drawing, but it could have been calculus equations. 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 1:43 am

Unfortunatly this was inevitable.

Vaccine Opponents: Sesame Street’s Autistic Character is Pharmaceutical Propaganda

Quote:
In October 2015, conspiracy and alternative health site Natural News‘ “Health Ranger” Mike Adams published an blog post accusing Sesame Street of tacitly promoting vaccines to “normalize” autism with the introduction of Julia

Sesame Street‘s rollout of the character Julia (including an appearance on morning chat show The View) continues to draw persistent backlash, despite Sesame Workshop’s description of Julia’s introduction as “an initiative designed to reduce the stigma surrounding autism.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 4:35 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
smudge wrote:
I felt sad to see it.

Why is that?

Because for most of my life, there were so many misunderstandings from people, and it was assumed I was just naughty and purposely behaving the way I did.

My mum understood me better when I was little, I used to draw pictures of my family and left them by my bed. I never knew she saw them until I saw the pictures in her files one day. I used to draw a picture of me, my sister, mum and nan all talking. I would say, "Hello" and they would be replying, "Stop it smudge", "Naughty girl smudge", "Go to your room smudge", "Sorry isn't good enough". I would say something like, "What have I done wrong?"

Regarding Julia, I think the whole idea is really nice. I like her, and I like the way everyone else is treating her. They're being tactful to her and understanding. Even the characters who misunderstand her at first aren't offended by her, just a little confused.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 4:40 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Unfortunatly this was inevitable.

Vaccine Opponents: Sesame Street’s Autistic Character is Pharmaceutical Propaganda

Quote:
In October 2015, conspiracy and alternative health site Natural News‘ “Health Ranger” Mike Adams published an blog post accusing Sesame Street of tacitly promoting vaccines to “normalize” autism with the introduction of Julia

Sesame Street‘s rollout of the character Julia (including an appearance on morning chat show The View) continues to draw persistent backlash, despite Sesame Workshop’s description of Julia’s introduction as “an initiative designed to reduce the stigma surrounding autism.”

I understand why some people might want to look into vaccines as to whether they damage a baby in any way. However, that idea of hers that Sesame Street is tacitly promoting vaccines, is ridiculous.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 10:50 am

smudge wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
smudge wrote:
I felt sad to see it.

Why is that?

Because for most of my life, there were so many misunderstandings from people, and it was assumed I was just naughty and purposely behaving the way I did.

My mum understood me better when I was little, I used to draw pictures of my family and left them by my bed. I never knew she saw them until I saw the pictures in her files one day. I used to draw a picture of me, my sister, mum and nan all talking. I would say, "Hello" and they would be replying, "Stop it smudge", "Naughty girl smudge", "Go to your room smudge", "Sorry isn't good enough". I would say something like, "What have I done wrong?"

Regarding Julia, I think the whole idea is really nice. I like her, and I like the way everyone else is treating her. They're being tactful to her and understanding. Even the characters who misunderstand her at first aren't offended by her, just a little confused.

Okay, I gotcha. 8)

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 3:38 pm

smudge wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
smudge wrote:
I felt sad to see it.

Why is that?

I kinda understand. I felt that little pang when I saw her too.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 4:17 pm

I've found the whole meet Julia segment from the show

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 6:49 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKCdV20zLMs
Meet Julia
10 minute run time.