Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 4:23 am

Is high emotionality something that can and does occur with ASD? I am rather stress sensitive with a tendency to be emotionally reactive to adverse/negative stimuli though being on a regular antipsychotic has dampened down the emotional reactivity. On the other hand my emotional response to what should be positive stimuli is often dulled and flat.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 4:30 am

I don't know whether it's 'high emotionality', but I have difficulty coping with emotions. As I am not skilled at managing or recognising my own emotions, I can be easily overwhelmed by them. I guess there is no way of knowing how my emotions compare to those of others.

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2017, 5:32 am

@Firemonkey,

I don't understand "high emotionally" either. You describe that you are emotionally reactive to negative/adverse stimuli - is that what you are describing as "high emotionally" ?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 6:53 am

Not sure I understand the question. But I will freak out over something like a toilet overflowing, but then be emotionless regarding things a normal person gets emotional over.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:44 am

Keigan wrote:
@Firemonkey,

I don't understand "high emotionally" either. You describe that you are emotionally reactive to negative/adverse stimuli - is that what you are describing as "high emotionally" ?

Yes.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:57 am

Using a high IQ requires having the brain in a specialized configuration tailored to a specific accomplishment. It has to avoid interference from the brain stem to maintain focus. So, the circuits for moderating and anticipating emotions lack both volume and practice. Also, intellect is good at guessing what an expert would do, but the range of dumb mistakes people make is infinite, which keeps the world distressingly unpredictable.

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2017, 10:46 am

firemonkey wrote:
Keigan wrote:
@Firemonkey,

Yes.

It is highly probable that a medication could cause a person to be emotionally reactive to negative/adverse stimuli and be dulled/flat to positive stimuli - you would need to discuss with your practioners.

I see references to "defense mode" and general comments indictating that our brains need five positive experiences to offset one negative experience. for myself, I've tried to break down things that trigger a emotional reaction so I have better awareness and can respond rather than react - I prefer to respond without emotion.