Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 8:20 am

It's in committee now.

I missed most of the hearing itself, and was stuck listening to the coverage. There are arguments for and against him based on his record, and he probably doesn't deserve what he's going to get.

Merrick Garland didn't deserve what he got. I consider it perfectly fair to block Gorsuch on that basis. All the people who refused to meet Garland also refused to hear a lot of other nominations to the federal bench, and they are now wailing about the horrible damage all these vacancies are causing. Hypocrites of the first order.

Another thing. The media narrative seems to be: this is okay because Gorsuch is another Scalia. Not okay; do not want another Scalia.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 Mar 2017, 8:29 am

Nuclear option, he will be passed by simple majority if need be and you can thank Harry Reid for that. Obstructing Gorsuch because you're butthurt that Obama couldn't squeeze in one more nominee right before an election is unjustifiable partisan hackery. Elections have consequences, deal with it.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 10:15 am

I can't stand him. He is so smug and full of himself.

He'll get in, no doubt. Forever tainted, justly, by his association with Trump.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 2:11 pm

I think they'll pass him, they're too afraid of the GOP going nuclear and having no option against a Bork 2.0 if Ginsburg or Kennedy croak.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 2:43 pm

Must punish McConnell.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Mar 2017, 2:50 pm

Aside from his love for Scalia, he seems like a reasonable person who just has different views on things to me.

I don't think judiciary appointments should be politicised the way that they are in America, but if they are going to be then I think the Dems should accept that Gorsuch is the next best thing to Kennedy, and that they're not going to get another Kennedy.

I would say I can forgive them for being a little petty after the way the Republicans treated Garland (who was exactly who they asked Obama to nominate), but as far as I can tell it was the Democrats who started this fight under Dubya.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 3:17 pm

Al Franken just questioned Gorsuch's judgement, calling one of his previous decisions absurd.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2017, 3:25 pm

I don't agree with Gorsuch politically, but I know people who know him - he even taught one of my closest friends in law school - and by all accounts he's a decent person. It seems like Trump's picks certainly aren't going to get any better than this, so I'm not necessarily against him.

Jacoby wrote:
Nuclear option, he will be passed by simple majority if need be and you can thank Harry Reid for that. Obstructing Gorsuch because you're butthurt that Obama couldn't squeeze in one more nominee right before an election is unjustifiable partisan hackery. Elections have consequences, deal with it.

That seat was Obama's to fill. He literally didn't fill it because of Republican obstructionism.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 3:48 pm

Amebix wrote:
You're being hypocritical, but it's okay because I assume you're too uninformed to realize it, and you're just parroting out what you heard from pundits.

Did you have to go to school to learn to be that smug?

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 3:50 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Amebix wrote:
You're being hypocritical, but it's okay because I assume you're too uninformed to realize it, and you're just parroting out what you heard from pundits.

Did you?

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2017, 3:57 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Amebix wrote:

He was dismissive and rude, so I responded the same way.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 4:28 pm

Amebix wrote:

Is this middle school?

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 4:35 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Amebix wrote:

Is this middle school?
your buddy Raptor acts like a schoolchild, maybe you should ask him that.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2017, 4:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Amebix wrote:

Is this middle school?

I'm just joking. I know you didn't go to school.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 Mar 2017, 4:46 pm

Amebix wrote:
I don't agree with Gorsuch politically, but I know people who know him - he even taught one of my closest friends in law school - and by all accounts he's a decent person. It seems like Trump's picks certainly aren't going to get any better than this, so I'm not necessarily against him.

Jacoby wrote:

That seat was Obama's to fill. He literally didn't fill it because of Republican obstructionism. You're being hypocritical, but it's okay because I assume you're too uninformed to realize it, and you're just parroting out what you heard from pundits.

No, you are ignorant and do not know history unlike me so I suggest you read up and stop thinking you're so smart. It has long been practice, look up Homer Thornberry or the Biden Rule. That seat doesn't belong to any president, Obama wasn't owed anything and he never had the votes to get anybody confirmed. There was SCOTUS opening and we had an election shortly to decide who would get to choose who filled it, if Hillary had won then it would be her nominee going thru the confirmation process. It's not obstructionism since Obama never had the votes, he thought if he nominated somebody futily that it would energize the Democratic base to turn out but in reality it actually energized conservatives more in lining up behind Trump.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 4:49 pm

Howdy Mr. D.! :mrgreen:

They're just having a tantrum because they didn't get their supreme court pick. The Democrats liked this guy before so, again, all they are doing is stalling because they didn't get their way. I would be embarrassed to be Democrat with the way they have been acting.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/01/meet- ... h-in-2006/

Now for more important things........like work and school.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.