Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 1:34 pm

Sesame Street, now Power Rangers. I think people are finally starting to notice us in a positive light.

http://screenrant.com/power-rangers-movie-blue-ranger-billy-actor-autism/

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2017, 4:18 pm

That's cool. I guess it's not surprising that they picked the nerdy character to be autistic. In the original show Billy was often the butt of jokes, so it's nice that they're gonna try to spin his nerdiness in a positive way.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 5:20 pm

The more positive and mixed representations the merrier.

RJ Cyrus said "us" and "we". Was he coming out or just talking in general terms?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 Mar 2017, 10:14 pm

Not sure why 'Power Rangers' needs to be tackling the issues of autism, sexuality, and gender. Is there going to be a wheelchair ranger too? :lol: Shitlord Zed must be stopped!

I guess I'll wait to see how it is depicted

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 10:39 pm

There needs to be an autistic Justice League character too. Perhaps the Flash. Is Barry Allen nerdy enough to pull it off?

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Mar 2017, 3:30 pm

EzraS wrote:
There needs to be an autistic Justice League character too. Perhaps the Flash. Is Barry Allen nerdy enough to pull it off?

If you want to go there, DC has already done that with Black Manta (I guess it's to give the villain a sympathetic backstory, a la Mr. Freeze and Magneto?). And Marvel did that in the comics with Legion (I haven't seen the TV show yet, so I can't comment).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 9:25 pm

DevilInPgh wrote:
EzraS wrote:

If you want to go there, DC has already done that with Black Manta (I guess it's to give the villain a sympathetic backstory, a la Mr. Freeze and Magneto?). And Marvel did that in the comics with Legion (I haven't seen the TV show yet, so I can't comment).

Not to mention, Black Manta is a person of color. Revealing himself, finally, he takes off his helmet, saying: " Why do think they call me... BLACK MANTA?!?!"