Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Priola
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2017, 11:02 pm

seaweed wrote:

what does DH mean? domestic helper? devoted husband? dominant hoarder?

well, whoever DH is, they sound pretty great :mrgreen:

Internet lingo :P . D- dear H- husband

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2017, 12:38 pm

Priola wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
^^You have a good system there!

I used to work in a microbiology lab with sterilized suits and everything. Now my OCD makes it that much harder for me to function without properly sterilizing everything. My hands are dry and scaly from all the sterilizing.

Are consumer products applying UV-light, and ultrasonic-sound helpful? What about silver-coated surfaces which supposedly reduce microbes?

Priola

15 Apr 2017, 10:54 pm

Here wrote:
Priola wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I used to work in a microbiology lab with sterilized suits and everything. Now my OCD makes it that much harder for me to function without properly sterilizing everything. My hands are dry and scaly from all the sterilizing.

Are consumer products applying UV-light, and ultrasonic-sound helpful? What about silver-coated surfaces which supposedly reduce microbes?

I've never used any. I use alcohol/vinegar/H202 or hot water to sterilize everything.

As for the silver coating I haven't done much research but I do believe they can be effective. My mother who is a doctor uses silver dinnerware. She says bacteria doesn't grow on silver as fast as it does on other surfaces. She also uses a lot of copper and brass containers to store food.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 12:50 am

I am a terrible housekeeper. I either have to do it all at once or can't do any. My husband does the dishes and laundry. I cook but I wish I could do more cleaning. One of my big problems is my Husband has ADHD and he creates chaos everywhere he goes. There is not a single surface in our house that does not have a pile of his stuff on it. I cannot organise any of it because I honestly do not know where to start and he would probably freak if I moved anything. His chaos seriously does my head in. Sometimes I just want to cry when I look around my house.

He asked me what I wanted for Christmas last year and I said a skip to get rid of all his crap. I didn't think he would but that is what I got for Christmas. Best Christmas present ever!

My dream would be to win a lot of money and buy the house next door and he could come and visit me in my nice orderly space and anything he left in my house I could just throw out. It's not going to happen, but I can dream.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 9:45 am

Executive Function Disorder + Asperger Aversion Avoidance Syndrome (where you have an overwhelming tendency to avoid things you don't like or have no interest in) + a number of chronic health issues = a very messy home. AAARRRGGG!! ! I was able to get more done when my health wasn't as bad, but now I am tired all the time, and my knees are shot, so it's too hard to do most stuff, especially when you need to use both hands to hold two canes to get around. That doesn't leave any hands left to do the chores. I do have a couple of task carts that help a little, but they don't actually do my chores for me. :( I've thought of using some of my SS money to hire someone to come in once a week, but because of my Aspergers, I really don't like to be with people much, and because of my health issues I have an irregular sleep/wake/meal schedule, so there is no one time or day every week that would be good to have them over to clean. I have relatives that stop by once every week or two, and they help me out some, but I can't stand being around even them, so it's always very stressful having them over. :(

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 9:51 am

I like house cleaning, actually. A friend of mine has a brother who does drywall work in construction, but the brother chose that career specifically because it allows him the time alone (drywall is often a solo job) to think about his hobby of quantum theory. For me, house cleaning provides a similar time to think with the added benefit of living in a cleaner environment. Ooor, I am just a neat freak. :wink:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2017, 4:02 pm

I got into the habit of taking off my shoes at the entry-way to my apt. -- hence curbing germs, and even reducing the need to mop floors.

pi woman

26 May 2017, 1:09 pm

Here wrote:
I got into the habit of taking off my shoes at the entry-way to my apt. -- hence curbing germs, and even reducing the need to mop floors.

Me too. Anything to reduce the frequency with which I have to vacuum the carpet.

A friend gave me a dishtowel that says "Anyone who has time to clean isn't doing nearly enough reading." I liked it so much I sewed it into a cushion for my reading chair.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 7:45 pm

Priola wrote:
Here wrote:
Priola wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I've never used any. I use alcohol/vinegar/H202 or hot water to sterilize everything.

As for the silver coating I haven't done much research but I do believe they can be effective. My mother who is a doctor uses silver dinnerware. She says bacteria doesn't grow on silver as fast as it does on other surfaces. She also uses a lot of copper and brass containers to store food.

Are there products that apply ozone-based cleaning TECH.?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 7:04 pm

I hate housekeeping and don't do it until it reaches critical mass. I scatter things all over the place, half started projects, laundry half done, books, magazines, plants, musical instruments, sheet music, paddles, life jackets, flashlights. Both my DH and I don't like to do housework and so it becomes a contest as to who can stand it longer before one of gives in and does some cleaning. We got a dishwasher a couple of years ago and it is great and dishes are cleaner and get cleaned more often. I'd get one of those robot vacuum cleaners if I thought it could deal with the dog hair. When I lived in town, I did have someone to come in a clean once a week, but like others, I don't like having other people in my house. Although at that time, there actually were a lot of people in my house, relatively speaking, so maybe it was easier to tolerate. Now that I live back in the woods, I don't want anyone to know where I live, how to get here, or what my house is like. I grew up running around outside and still would rather be outside. I have no germophobic tendencies at all. I am still a kid who likes to play in the mud. :D

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2018, 10:22 pm

I have to use a pretty rigid system to keep up with all the house/farm chores. I have a ten item daily to-do list, plus every day of the week has a specific chore: Monday laundry and preserving harvests, Tuesday vacuum/mop floors and seedling rotation, Wednesday deep clean kitchen, bathrooms, and chicken coops (Wednesdays kind of stink)... Then there is the monthly list: the cats get their flea treatments on royalty payment day, liquid fertilizer on the first and fifteenth... Its restrictive, but when I can keep up the schedule, everything functions. Holidays screw me up. :(

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:35 am

Cleaning is something I'm excellent at, as I have basically been a housewife for 31 years. I can give you some tips and tricks and a great schedule for getting things done if you want. It will actually take less time and your place will be cleaner.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:46 am

When I do laundry I don't care about separating the lights from the darks, but also most of my and my boyfriends clothes are dark colors, so I don't usually have enough light colored ones to do a full load of them separately. I do have a few more delicate items that have to be washed on a lighter cycle than my other clothes so I separate those ones. I would like to use a front loading machine...but that is not the kind in my apartment building. Also the dryer sucks, half the time you have to run it twice to get stuff dry and of course it costs quarters.

I also have a hard floor, in most of the apartment except the bedroom, meant to look like hard-wood but its just vinyl I am pretty sure. Either way its kind of hard to sweep due to the texture so I just vacuum it, ends up being easier and quicker than trying to sweep it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:50 am

Here wrote:
Drinking glasses, reusable plastic food storage containers, and coffee-cups are usually on that 'need-to-clean" agenda in the sink! Coffee-cups temporarily store need-to-clean forks, knives, and spoons.

I gave away all of the narrow, and narrow-tall glasses, and now use wide glasses, and coffee mugs to ease-cleaning.

Anybody prefer using bristle scrubbers instead of sponges to clean dishes, glasses, etc.? Can anybody do without a dishwasher? Actually, I prefer the "old-fashioned-way" of washing over a dishwasher.

Anybody remember the 1990s TV Series 'Home Improvement?' A few of the episodes included house-cleaning. I loved a well though-out comedy, and the Taylor's neighbor Wilson giving his novel advice!

My apartment doesn't have a dishwasher, so sort of have to...but its not really that bad, besides if you wash them by hand you know for sure they are clean. That said though it annoys me when people try to jam pack a dishwasher, because then the dishes don't all get clean and there's that gross whitish film over everything. My moms boyfriend does that and it drove me crazy when I lived with those two. I mean you can only put so many dishes in at once if you want it to work properly.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 8:10 pm

For some reason, I've fallen into that once-a-week (grand) kitchen cleaning schedule; where I clean while waiting for dinner to cook. I also find myself saying, "hey, I'll wake-up to a nice clean kitchen the next morning!"

Hence, the cleaning routine that get's broken, and reestablished within a fair (could be worse) amount of time!

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 8:55 pm

I used to utilize a laundry service and have a maid come three times a week. Now that I am retired, I can't afford it, so it is a problem for me.