Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 3:50 pm

I think I may just be socially odd. Have always had difficulty interacting with others.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 6:09 pm

"Jusr" be socially odd?

As opposed to being on the autism spectrum?

Or what?

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 5:38 am

Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'socially odd'?

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 6:12 am

Firemonkey. I speak with limited information but maybe it isn't a good idea to obsess about these kinds of things. You say you have a low IQ but you speak intelligently about politics and the fact you have emotional empathy for many people, you say your unsympathetic but you have formed close relationships and bonds with people. Maybe this is just me but sometimes you should stop. You might be socially odd, you probably can't change it but you have been able to overcome it.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 7:49 am

FandomConnection wrote:
Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'socially odd'?

Physically and socially awkward. Less than a handful of friends over 60 years. Very poor social skills.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 7:52 am

Shahunshah wrote:
Firemonkey. I speak with limited information but maybe it isn't a good idea to obsess about these kinds of things. You say you have a low IQ but you speak intelligently about politics and the fact you have emotional empathy for many people, you say your unsympathetic but you have formed close relationships and bonds with people. Maybe this is just me but sometimes you should stop. You might be socially odd, you probably can't change it but you have been able to overcome it.

My IQ is low in some senses ie spatial, and high in others ie verbal.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 7:42 pm

Yeah sometimes people are just a little awkward. Not everyone is good at socailizing it doesnt mean their disabled.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2017, 2:18 pm

I struggle with interacting with others, too. What I really can't stand is small talk. I don't see any point to it. If I want to have a conversation, I'd like it to be deep and about something I'm interested in. Otherwise, I don't want to talk to you. I just keep to myself most of the time. However, I've lately been working on speaking up for myself if need be. Another thing I struggle with is when I see someone I know from somewhere else, I have a hard time going up to them and saying hi. It just feels awkward to me. It's especially if I don't like the person that it's difficult. I've been shy and quiet all my life. Oh well, it's better than being a troublemaker. Also, I tend to look down whenever I'm talking to somebody, but when they're talking to me, I can look them in the eye. Weird, huh? So I guess that makes me socially odd, too. You're not alone.

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Mar 2017, 3:34 pm

idonthaveanickname wrote:
I struggle with interacting with others, too. What I really can't stand is small talk. I don't see any point to it. If I want to have a conversation, I'd like it to be deep and about something I'm interested in. Otherwise, I don't want to talk to you. I just keep to myself most of the time. However, I've lately been working on speaking up for myself if need be. Another thing I struggle with is when I see someone I know from somewhere else, I have a hard time going up to them and saying hi. It just feels awkward to me. It's especially if I don't like the person that it's difficult. I've been shy and quiet all my life. Oh well, it's better than being a troublemaker. Also, I tend to look down whenever I'm talking to somebody, but when they're talking to me, I can look them in the eye. Weird, huh? So I guess that makes me socially odd, too. You're not alone.

Interesting. I am also bad at small talk irl. But I notice when I talk to most Aspies here, it's the complete opposite. I find they're the ones bad at small talk and I notice I pour my feelings out to them and many of them just give me one word responses. I guess I'm emotionally aware compared to other Aspies but not as aware as NTs? It can get frustrating because I don't think I belong to either group. I also struggle with approaching people and even in church, for example, I am very shy and my mom has called me out for not greeting people. I've also noticed when someone talks to me I feel as if I'm not always looking at them and I wonder if they notice or maybe it's because I'm self conscious because people in the past said I wasnt looking at them. At the same, I'm kind of introverted so that may be it.

firemonkey wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:

My IQ is low in some senses ie spatial, and high in others ie verbal.

This describes me so much. I use fancy words at times but when I'm driving for example or on the sidewalk next to other people, I may overestimate or underestimate how much space is between my car or me and everything else. 8O :o