Something else 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 32

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2017, 4:53 pm

Hello there,

So, I just read this poster why said:

"Come to Phony Physics Phridays. Or we will keep using Comic Sans. And bad humour."

There are two things wrong with this. Firstly, it's directed towards physicists. I'm not one of those (I do chemistry thank you), but worse yet it was written in ... you guessed it... Comic Sans!

While there's no doubt that Comic Sans is the most disliked font in the world, are there any fonts that you dislike too? The ones I dislike the most are the following:

Comic Sans! While there isn't anything inherently wrong with this font, it's really designed for comic books, not serious documents. I keep on seeing it everywhere. Drives me nuts every time. Please, people, stop using Comic Sans!

Courier: Whenever I see someone use this, I feel like asking them "Did you know that your printer can print other fonts?" It is simply outdated, and looks too squareish for my liking.

Arial: Really boring. It's like the plainest font that you could possibly invent. While it's reader-friendly, I get it, it's boring to look at. When I see Arial, I keep thinking "Can you make your document more elegant, please?"

Calibri: It's the default font for MS Office 2007 and up, and... yeah. It looks just like someone crossed Times New Roman and Arial and expected to get a nice font. Nice try, but... yeah. Still has too much Arial look for my liking.

Algerian: Again, this font pops up way too often. I used to like it when it was rare -- it looked kind of cool -- but now it's everywhere; store signs, brochures, etc.

By the way, my favourite fonts are Times New Roman (for official documents), Papyrus, and Fantasy (for non-official things)

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

Last edited by Glflegolas on 21 Mar 2017, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 5:03 pm

I actually love Calibri.

I don't like serif fonts. I avoid them.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 Mar 2017, 5:12 pm

I don't care really, the hate comic sans gets is amusing to me.

here's a satirical monologue on comic sans(heads up, lot of swearing)

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/im- ... ns-asshole

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 5:26 pm

I can't stand papyrus. I see it used overly much on vehicle decals and shopfronts and websites, mostly for beauty related or holistic/health business.

I also hate Forte. It's so late 80s early 90s a la Neighbours logo and cheesy game shows.

I also hate Cooperplate Gothic. It's easy to read, but ugly. It just makes ny business or website look cheap.

Actually most of the Microsoft default fonts make businesses look cheap, like they knocked up a logo in Word.

I loved Lobster when it started becoming popular about 5 years ago, but it has become overused and passé.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 5:36 pm

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2017, 5:46 pm

[quote="hurtloam"]I can't stand papyrus. I see it used overly much on vehicle decals and shopfronts and websites, mostly for beauty related or holistic/health business.
[quote]

Well, sorry that I am using papyrus font in my signature. I suppose that you can take comfort in the fact that I'm only using it for one line and that I used Fantasy for the rest, instead of making a whole profile page covered in it. (That would drive me nuts too TBH. Papyrus is OK for headings, but not for a document)

EDIT: Sorry I edited the poll. Didn't realise that it would erase all your votes...

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 5:48 pm

That's interesting, I'm using an android phone and the papyrus in your signature is rendering as a generic serif font.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 7:15 pm

I really like the font that's in your signature----but, I don't like that it's so faint. I like that it looks, sorta, "old", like Shakespeare would've written in it. Also, it doesn't look the same as in that Avatar picture, Raleigh posted.

Of the ones you put in the poll, I don't like "Viner Sans"----and, "Times New Roman" is my favorite.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 8:06 pm

I only avoid using TNR myself whenever possible, and encourage others to do likewise. I want to read academic papers, so I have to put up with it.

I understand the hate for comic sans, but I don't usually share it. I did actually take a shot at an economics professor for using it, but he was completely oblivious to what I was saying. :lol: The content did seem horribly wrong for the font, so I'd characterize it as an issue with the overall design.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 11:17 am

I don't like the vast majority of Word's fonts, in fact I've only ever used Times New Roman up until my current uni studies, where one of last year's tutors politely requested we submit our assignments in Arial, for ease of reading. I suppose Arial is less closely packed together than Times New Roman, making it easier to read, but the words look big and clunky to my eyes (a little like WP's font.) :)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 12:06 pm

I had no idea there was such a thing as hate towards specific fonts. As long as I can read them, I'm good. The only things I dislike type wise are when the letters are so light or the size so small that it's hard to read it. It's also preferable that the letters aren't too closely packed. I have no idea what the hate of comic sans is about. It's cute and clear.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 6:54 pm

Also, a chemist is an applied physicist is an applied mathematician. So says the mathematician. ;-)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:48 pm

I don't mind any particular font, as long as the print is large enough for me to read without having to squint. I hate print that is too small.