Why is it considered uncultured to be proudly American?

Page 3 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 2:47 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yeah....the "privatization" of the jails rather irks me.

Yeah, it will only bring tons more corruption into our justice system and jails. I will say our Justice system really is screwed up, I mean for one we have the highest amount of people incarcerated for long periods of time for non-violent offenses. People have gotten longer prison sentences for pot than child molestation...talk about some screwed up priorities.

Yeah I am sure privatization doesn't encourage making criminals out of people and ruining lives just for profit for those running said prisons....NOT.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 2:54 pm

Farunel wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I am a person who has some "liberal" viewpoints.

I love my country. I would call myself patriotic, though not in the "flag-waving" sense.

I also love other countries--when they deserve to be loved.

I wish for us not to have an adversarial relationship with another nation if this is not necessary.

I understand, full well, the benefits of living in the USA. We could even be better--but I find that we are quite decent as we stand now.

The health care thing bothers me, though. I believe in universal health care for all catastrophic conditions. We already have it for End Stage Renal Disease.

Pretty much agree on all points. Health care is one of my biggest concerns. Oh, and the prison system, now that I think about it. Certain people shouldn't be jailed at all, certain people get less time than they should. The biggest thing for me is putting drug addicts into prison. MOST of them are harmless, and need rehabilitation. Violent druggies should serve their time in accordance to whatever violent act they committed. Someone who is simply addicted to an illegal drug should be helped. When you put them in jail, they will just come back out and start doing drugs again. *Sigh*

Exactly but with private prisons isn't that sort of the point? They hope the drug addict does f**k up and get caught again and put back in jail....with private prisons its not about rehabilitation its about making money off people in jail. Of course it should be treated as a health issue...and from my understanding places that use harm reduction and rehabilitation approach rather than criminalizing addicts have seen some success in addiction rates going down. Treating addicts like criminals only deters them from getting help.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 12:31 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
The people who want free stuff are the ones who complain about America.

Nice simplification.

I complain about issues here yet I cannot say 'I want free stuff' is my motivation. What free stuff are you referring to that people want anyways?....services for the impoverished and financially struggling like medicaid, SSI and EBT or WIC for struggling mothers? Clearly such unnecessary luxuries am I right?.... :roll:

Seems like if anyone wants 'free stuff' its our current administration and the top 1%, and they want it at the expense of the rest of us. But some poor right wingers eat it up and practically worship the wealthy elite, that are screwing them over to....its perplexing.

How the f**k can you be proud of America when .... (here we go)

-America doesn't provide free health care
-America doesn't provide free immigration
-America doesn't provide free school
-America doesn't take care of minorities
-America doesn't take care of its infrastructure
-America doesn't take care of its teachers
-America doesn't take care of its veterans
-America doesn't take care of its needy

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 12:42 am

^well clearly there can be no dialogue with that mentality....I am done here, said what I feel like in this thread already.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2017, 12:57 am

lidsmichelle wrote:
Well gee, putting down other countries based on stereotypes, I can't begin to fathom why people think you're uncultured :roll:

In all seriousness I'm from a very liberal state and I've NEVER heard someone say BBQ or apple pie are hick foods. What the hell are you even talking about?

Patriotism is often (quite fairly imo) criticized because this country is known to breed people who engage in blind patriotism. Won't listen to any actual legitimate criticism because "this is the best country in the world." Which by the way, is why the government and politicians actively encourage it lol.

^^^This

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 7:19 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
...How the f**k can you be proud of America when .... (here we go)

-America doesn't provide free health care....

Even certain European nations are feeling the pending bankruptcy of their socialized medicine.

LoveNotHate wrote:
...-America doesn't provide free immigration....

Neither does Mexico, among other nations.

LoveNotHate wrote:
...-America doesn't provide free school....

Are you referring to college? If so, neither does the United Kingdom (remember the "student riots"?)

LoveNotHate wrote:
...-America doesn't take care of minorities....

As caucasian people are frequently described as the new American minority, I would say that the United States treats them about theh same as it treats everyone else.

LoveNotHate wrote:
...-America doesn't take care of its infrastructure....

Have you seen the infrastructure of other nations?

LoveNotHate wrote:
...-America doesn't take care of its teachers....

American teachers are almost completely unionized. Their future pensions are quite safe, as are those of firefighters, EMTs, law-enforcement officers, politicians and their government workers.

LoveNotHate wrote:
...-America doesn't take care of its veterans....

To a certain degree, American veterans have benefits that accumulate over their military careers. If they enlist for the shortest of duties, they won't receive many benefits. If they hang around longer, they get a LOT of benefits.

LoveNotHate wrote:
...-America doesn't take care of its needy....

So, what are those federal programs like OSHA, ADA, Section 8 and public housing, SNAP food benefits, cash benefits, Medicaid and Medicare, and all the private-sector charities who help the needy?

Unlike socialized nations, America balances it needs and wants. But, hey. If you live in another nation, enjoy! I am certain it is swell compared to the United States. If not, don't bash us. It isn't our fault.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 10:15 am

Caucasians will never be the minority in America as a whole.

But....really...it doesn't matter.

I've met very few non-Caucasian, non-native Americans who do not subscribe to the American Dream (especially for their children). Immigrants tend to be hard on their children, and really push them to succeed.

Like any immigrant group (nor native group). there are "bad apples."

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 1:02 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
But, hey. If you live in another nation, enjoy! I am certain it is swell compared to the United States. If not, don't bash us. It isn't our fault.

I'm the one that gets bashed.

I have been called "Hate not Love" like 10+ times on WP, because I defend America.

Many members think "love" is free money, and "hate" is taking that money away.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 1:34 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
But, hey. If you live in another nation, enjoy! I am certain it is swell compared to the United States. If not, don't bash us. It isn't our fault.

I have been called "Hate not Love" like 10+ times on WP, because I defend America.

I didn't mean to offend you. I was speaking editorially. No other WP users should call others names. I was trying to describe how there are consquences for every governmental action. Most are good consequences, others aren't so good.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 2:46 pm

Nothing wrong with being proud of where you come from as long as you don't think you're better than others.
There are patriotic liberals.Being a patriot isn't being quiet when they think their country is is error.If people hadn't done that years ago it would still be legal to own slaves,Jim Crow would still exist.
I think it's patriotic to stick up for Vets and make sure they get good health care.Many in my family served.I have total respect for those that serve.They were willing to die,they should a least get an appointment at the VA in a timely manner and not have to wait six months to see a physician.
As for infrastructure, it does suck in places.How is it unpatriotic to tell the truth?Who wants to drive over a crappy bridge that needs repair.Drink city water full of lead?

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 2:59 pm

I don't find anything wrong with being proud to be American, but:

rvacountrysinger wrote:
If you have a love of American cuisine , for example- BBQ,
cheeseburgers, apple pie- you are a hick. But if you enjoy 3rd world cuisine made from countries where people actually
defecate in the streets- somehow that makes you a sophisticate. I don't understand the mentality there.

Do you realize how unhealthy cheeseburgers, BBQ, and apple pie is? Those in "countries where people actually defecate in the streets" wonder how some could bear to eat such sugary and/or greasy foods more than once a month. It's all a matter of perspective.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 4:18 pm

Apple pie isn't really unhealthy. Maybe too many carbs.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 5:09 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

Yes you defend america by pretending anyone who criticizes anything about this country it is a totally anti-american free loader..... :roll:

Maybe people call you hate not love because of your judgmental attitude and complete disregard for struggles of disabled and impoverished americans...or at least apparent lack of it. Maybe you say some stuff just to get a rise out of people and you aren't really so harsh as you come off here...but yeah people don't say 'hate not love' just to be mean its a response to your mean-spiritedness you express here.

If I posted a lot of mean spirited, insensitive things I would expect people to start referring to me as sourleaf instead of sweetleaf.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 5:28 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

Yes you defend america by pretending anyone who criticizes anything about this country it is a totally anti-american free loader..... :roll:

Maybe people call you hate not love because of your judgmental attitude and complete disregard for struggles of disabled and impoverished americans...or at least apparent lack of it. Maybe you say some stuff just to get a rise out of people and you aren't really so harsh as you come off here...but yeah people don't say 'hate not love' just to be mean its a response to your mean-spiritedness you express here.

If I posted a lot of mean spirited, insensitive things I would expect people to start referring to me as sourleaf instead of sweetleaf.

I post the "conservative perspective".

It's not "mean-spirited".

What is cruel is what I see many here post. They post ideas of robbing people of their money. They post of ideas on how reduce people's freedoms. Then they spin it, so that somehow robbing and enslaving is moral and compassionate.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 5:34 pm

It's because you're looking at two different American cultures which have a different view of what American pride is. Those who like stuff from other cultures are just as American as you, they just come from Cosmopolitan America. They're view of America is that it's a melting pot of other cultures, and by celebrating other cultures they are celebrating America. For them, rustic America is just another culture in the American melting pot, and emphasizing rustic America over other cultures is offensive to their culture.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 6:51 pm

248RPA wrote:
I don't find anything wrong with being proud to be American, but:

rvacountrysinger wrote:
If you have a love of American cuisine , for example- BBQ,
cheeseburgers, apple pie- you are a hick. But if you enjoy 3rd world cuisine made from countries where people actually
defecate in the streets- somehow that makes you a sophisticate. I don't understand the mentality there.

Do you realize how unhealthy cheeseburgers, BBQ, and apple pie is? Those in "countries where people actually defecate in the streets" wonder how some could bear to eat such sugary and/or greasy foods more than once a month. It's all a matter of perspective.

Why do cheeseburgers or BBQ have to be unhealthy? what if you eat some veggies with your cheeseburger and use real cheese instead of those gross 'American cheese' slices or what about a swiss cheese and mushroom burger? And I thought BBQ was essentially anything you cook on a fire or grill....you can pretty much BBQ anything.

I guess typically people think of bbq sauce and a gas or coal grill and tons of gross condiments, with unhealthy sides and such. But why not simply throw some meat and veggies on and eat that, lol I also like going camping and just cooking with the fire and natural things around the campsites like sticks to stick through sausages to roast or flat rocks to cook other things...its nice to have a pan or pot to boil water or contain anything with lots of moisture. But lol I don't want that silly yuppie set up with the miniature gas stove top and bringing practically the contents of a whole kitchen with them...those are probably the ones who litter to cause they just 'don't know any better', or 'but the animals will eat it right?' I sometimes wish those people would get eaten by the animals.