Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 9:39 pm

They didn't work, maybe I did something wrong. I need help.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 3:33 pm

I've tried them too, AND noise canceling headphones. They don't work for me either.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 7:36 pm

The sticky doughy earplugs?

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 7:43 pm

You should try white noise of some kind or maybe something like pink noise.

It should make it much easier to tune out the sounds around you, in my experience it works well when things get too loud.

Something I have noticed which is strange is that any sound coming from headphones can't really cause a sensory overload for me, even if the same sound coming from speakers does. I don't know what's up with that, it might have something to do with headphone sound being clearer and easier to process, IDK how that works or if it's even true for everybody. That is why I often listen to music on headphones to help tune out background noise.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:41 pm

I remember that you said it was sticky, doughy earplugs. Those kinds of earplugs do not work well for noise cancellation. Foam or silicone earplugs work better. So perhaps it's just that you're using the wrong kind of earplugs.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:46 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:

It should make it much easier to tune out the sounds around you, in my experience it works well when things get too loud.

Something I have noticed which is strange is that any sound coming from headphones can't really cause a sensory overload for me, even if the same sound coming from speakers does. I don't know what's up with that, it might have something to do with headphone sound being clearer and easier to process, IDK how that works or if it's even true for everybody. That is why I often listen to music on headphones to help tune out background noise.

AKA, ten hours of living hell. lol. I hope you enjoy it. (To each their own, right?) But I couldn't sit through 10 seconds of that racket.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2017, 9:16 pm

Another unfortunate case of MOPWA (Meet One Person With Autism...).

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Mar 2017, 10:23 pm

somanyspoons wrote:
mikeman7918 wrote:

AKA, ten hours of living hell. lol. I hope you enjoy it. (To each their own, right?) But I couldn't sit through 10 seconds of that racket.

I actually LIKE this. Then again I haven't even been listening to this for 2 minutes. It sounds like the ocean to me. I guess i'm not the only chaotic Aspie after all. :lol:

I also listened to this

These videos are LITERALLY wired for Aspie brains, even mine.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 11:01 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:

I sleep with that exact video playing. I like the pink noise over the white. It seems to block better.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 12:24 pm

FreakyZettairyouiki wrote:
somanyspoons wrote:
mikeman7918 wrote:

I actually LIKE this. Then again I haven't even been listening to this for 2 minutes. It sounds like the ocean to me. I guess i'm not the only chaotic Aspie after all. :lol:

I also listened to this

These videos are LITERALLY wired for Aspie brains, even mine.

Now I need to pee. :lol:

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 1:56 pm

Compare the decibel rating on your package of earplugs, with that of common, household noises, which are much louder. Earplugs only take the edge off.

That's when you're doing it right. It takes practice, to put them in and take them out.

Quiet probably takes social engineering or isolation.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 10:26 pm

I did buy Silicon earplugs..